PKR Had my second PKR on my left knee.

Frenchi

Country
United States United States
HI All,

Has been a while, and hope everyone is recovering successfully.

On June 8 2022 I had my first PKR done on my right knee. Recovery was/is slow, and still recovering, but can function pretty good. Just had my second PKR on October 5 2022 (about 3 1/2 weeks ago), and as the first PKR, lots of pain, but religiously going to my PT as well as performing self PT at home.

My right knee was in very bad shape before the PKR, could barely walk with it. My left knee also was bone on bone, but could tolerate the pain, and the pain started to increase once I would walk for 10 minutes or so. That difference manifested itself after having PKR on the second knee.

I could barely bend my knee to a 90 degree the day after the surgery with my right PKR, but after my left PKR I was 105 degrees 3 days after the surgery, incredible difference. It took about one week before I could walk without a cane with my right knee, but was walking with no walker or cane the day after the surgery on my left knee.

That shows to me that the condition of the knees prior to the surgery had a lot to do with my recovery. Anyway I am now actually recovering on both knees. My right knee is strong enough to support my newly operated left knee, and started to walk for about half an hour in the park without having excessive pain. Hoping to do this every day to strengthen the muscle around the knees and hopefully start playin pickleball by the spring.

Wishing everyone a speedy recovery.

You are doing really well! I would love to have had such a recovery. :flwrysmile:

You probably don’t need these, but I’ll leave them anyway, Best Wishes!

Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hi Frenchi...two months into your second recovery within four months. Wow, that's a lot!
I hope all is going well for you. We'd love to read an update when you have the time.
Wishing you Happy Two Month Anniversary and also a Merry Christmas with hopes we hear from you soon!
@Frenchi

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom