PKR Had my PKR on June 8th, 2022

My legs straightening is still a problem in both legs and working very hard at it.
My extension also lagged behind. The best way for me to work on it without actually working was to walk with a longer stride than I normally did. I made sure my heel touched down first and then rolled up to my toes. This longer stride stretches those large back muscles and tendons in the back of the knee. It's not quick, no exercise for that is since the soft tissues are so large, but it worked well for me. Also, when the swelling goes down the extension should improve on its own.

@FLX4

Today I was a bad boy. Decided to go to a Cuban restaurant night club that we usually frequent and just could not help it. The beat went right to my soul and started dancing salsa, merengue, bachata, etc. , It fell really good, and did not fee[ uncomfortable and when I got home I figured to ice the knee as a preventive step to any inflammation that might occur. is that ok?

What a great evening! It sounds like you enjoyed yourself. Hope the next day was ok too!

This is what I have decided - I am going to start doing things that I enjoy and start getting back to "normal" life - or as much as I can. Nothing crazy. If I have some swelling/pain the next day then I know to dial it down, take a few days to rest/ice/elevate and reevaluate my actions. I just got in my kayak for the first time today - it was wonderful. There is nothing like being on the open water to soothe my soul. I will admit it was a bit difficult getting out at the end ;). I think our mental health is equally important and for me, getting out and doing things help so much.

@Frenchi How are you feeling the day after your night of dancing? Did the icing stave off the pain?

@FLX4

Almost 8 weeks since my RPKR, an update.

This past weekend I have been dancing a lot, Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. Didn't overdo it, 5-10 minutes at a time, between the Salsa, Merengue, and swing it was good aerobics, and it felt great. Stopped when I started feeling a bit pressure, but no pain.

I installed a new TRX workout set I bought from Amazon and tried it out today, great workout. concentrated mainly on different variations of squats. Also felt great and noticed some knee strengthening. Obviously doing my PT exercises, knee bend, knee straightening, etc. So far it seems that my recovery's working out well.

That's all for today. Good luck, and good recovery everyone.

Reactions: Jcx
@benne68

Hello benne68,

Yes, icing worked out, it was a sort of preventive medicine, never hurts to do it. In my new post, I got more of that dancing.

Cheers.

Hello everyone, just an update.

As of now, my PKR right knee is still stiff , pain level swings anywhere between 2 and 6 depending on the activity done. Have PT religiously 3 times a week, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. The PT for me is very essential since I could not straighten my leg even before the surgery, constantly overworked my leg muscles and tendons and never stretched enough, to the point where my right knee was constantly at 8-10 degrees. Now PT's working overtime to correct that, painful but very essential to me. I am now between 3-6 degrees, an improvement.

However, I can now go up and down stairs (work on a 3rd floor, no elevators), which I couldn't before the surgery. Go hiking on relatively easy trails, 2 to 5 miles in length, do some TRX straps workout, mostly upper body, but do squats to strengthen those knees, alternate between elliptical and Spin bike (15 minutes at a time, don't want to push it yet), and starting to enjoy my gardening on weekends.

As said my knee is still stiff, I guess it take time for the swelling to come down, after all I had my surgery on June 8, 2022, not too long ago. Hope for the swelling to come down to the point where I will not feel any stiffness (wishful thinking).

My other knee PKR is scheduled for October 5, 2022. Not looking forward to it, but has to be done.

Good luck on your recovery all.

Is the October PKR also Medial?

Your workout is quite aggressive and most wouldn't be able to do it. But, you're nailing it! Be careful with squats, they can be very bad for a new knee. Listen to your knee and obey it and you should be fine.

@Jockette
@sistersinhim

yes, my PKR in October will also be medial PKR. Trying very hard to get that right PKR knee as strong as I can before the anticipated left PKR in October. Also strengthening the left leg which hopefully will help with recovery after the operation.

Hi Frenchi, I'm 63 and very active like you. I'm all set to do a PKR in October but I'm beginning to consider the TKR instead. The partial seems alluring and I am a good candidate but I also feel the longer term repair with lower chance of chronic pain is tempting. What made you chose the partial at age 71? I thought they would have steered you to a total.

Hello all,

I kind of agree and disagree with the BoneSmart approach on recovery. Talking for myself, I was a spinner, religiously going to spin classes for about 30+ years (almost from the day Spinning started ~1990), I have been a spinning instructor until I was 68 years old (stopped whe the corona started, gym closed, now 71). The big problem I had was that I did not stretch enough, so when I started PT after my Right knee PKR i was at -10 degrees extension. My tendons were so tight that I could not get them to go below -10. After extensive and painful PT, the therapist made me lay down on my back, and he push on that knee 3 times a week, and it was very painful but I knew the tendons had to be stretched, and that was the only way. After 24 sessions I am at -5 degrees, and that coud not of been done if i was waiting for my knee to be ready to stretch. I am now doing my own PT, an planning to get that knee to 0 degree, So it all depends on the individual situation.

You'll notice that I have moved your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that keep posts about your recovery in your recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

After extensive and painful PT, the therapist made me lay down on my back, and he push on that knee 3 times a week, and it was very painful but I knew the tendons had to be stretched, and that was the only way. After 24 sessions I am at -5 degrees, and that coud not of been done if i was waiting for my knee to be ready to stretch.
I am sorry but I disagree with you on this. My extension was also slower coming in. I was able to correct mine by walking with I longer than normal stride, with a heal-to-toe gait. This stretched them out without the painful PT. There are other ways of correcting an extension without painfully forcing it.

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. The only difference is that my extensiion problem existed before my right PKR, but worked on it on and off and not enough. I agree with you partially, and doing what you suggested, thank you, but at the same time I have to really work on those tendons that are tight for almost 15 years or so. It is a combination of both let it heal on its own and walk heel first, but at the same time have to put a bit of force to stretch those tendons. So far this has been working well "for me". I am 3 month post my right PKR, and I realy feel the difference. Walking heel first and keeping that leg as straight as possible is now much easier by combining both technics.

Labor day weekend We hiked at Finger lakes, Saturday did 4.2 miles and 800 steps, and Sunday at another fall, did 4.7 miles with 832 steps. This past Saturday did Salsa, and lindy and felt pretty good, Actually my non operated left leg bothered me more (I will have PKR on that leg on October 5, very soon). So I am progressing nicely and should be strong enough to support me after my left knee PKR. Have a wonderful day and wish all a succesful recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom