Had a hip replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avia

Hi I am Avia and at 43 I have had a LTHR. Over the last few days I have been viewing this forum and I have found it very helpful.

I still have questions :pzld: about my LTHR that I have not been able to answer so I thought I would register and see if any of you have had similar experiences.

So can anyone explain why sometimes I wake up with a very painful heel as if it has creaked.

Avia
10/07/09 LTHR

Re: New to the Forum

Avia, we're glad that the forum has helped you so far. You've come to the right place to ask questions.

Does your heel pain go away after you are up and around for a bit? If so, it could be plantar fasciitis. If that pain continues in the mornings, I would see a foot doctor. There are some non-surgical treatments for it. One of the best is a stretch where you stand close facing a wall or other flat, upright surface. Put your foot so that the portion from the ball of your foot to the toes is upright against the wall. Then bend your body forward until you feel a stretch in the back of your lower leg to the heel.

Hey Avia This is the welcome wagon...lol....Im a knee but Im sure others will post and can help you.......Take care of yourself. Yep there's Jamie !!!!!hehe. Please join in, post anytime.......I hope you feel better soon.........:)

Avia
WElcome. A lot of us have had heel pain after hip replacemet surgery. I think it has something to do with the heel being in one position too long on the bed. It does go away, mine did , I'm not sure when.

I read that Jamie explained plantar fascites. I hope it is not that. I've been diagnosed with that in the past (before any surgery)
You have found the best forum out there. Welcome to the bonesmartie family
judy

Hi,Avia
Welcome ,welcome.
I think you will find the froum very helpful and friendly.
I am mostly here for the friendly,I will tell you first, before others do,,,I don't know much.:hehe:

But there is a wealth of info on here. I wish I would have found this site long before I did. I could have saved myself alot of pain,lol.

I wish you the very best,and welcome to Bonesmart!:D

Hello, Avia, and welcome to BoneSmart! I see you are in the UK as am I!

Your sore heels are probably due to a pressure sore caused by laying on your back with your legs and feet on the bed or settee or whatever. If this is allowed to go on too long, you get a kind of bruise which can be very painful because it's deep.

You need to massage the area using a nice hand cream or oil, to get the blood flowing in that area again. Whenever I'm laying in bed, I always make sure I have something under my ankles so my heels aren't resting on the mattress or settee. I get sore heels quite quickly if I'm not careful.

Also, do you have an accumulation of hard skin on your heels? That can make your heels sore as well, when they are laying on a firm surface for a while.

btw, I moved your thread as you'd posted in the "techy advice
forum" instead of this after hip surgery forum. And I change the name of the thread as we get so many new members putting something like that and it doesn't help people when they are doing searches for hip things.

Welcome!!!

I didn't have the heel pain that the others have talked about and I had my RTHR on 4/22/09. That means nothing though as I have seen we are all different!

I hope you find lots of help and information around here, as I have!! Keep posting and letting us know whats going on.

Hi and welcome to site you will find a wealth of info here.

I had bad heel pain and mine was from pressure sore, sleeping on back all the time, My home health nurse doctored it and put a bandage on it and told me to sleep with my foot on a pillow in a few days it was much better.

gods blessings

Thank you all for your advise.

I am 6 weeks post op and the heel pain has now stopped. However I now have lower back pain:sct:.This is really getting me down as I have now pain from my hip.

I have inreased my excercise and can now walk short distance with the cane.

Any ideas on the back pain as it only happens when I'm walking. Help :pzld:

It's probably that your body is adjusting to the correction of the new hip. When a hip gets arthritic, you naturally begin to favour that leg and even start tilting your pelvis to adapt to the pain and deformity. When it's corrected, the spine suddenly has to correct itself and starts aching as a result.

Two things: go back to your physiotherapist and get her to check your gait which could be off and see a chiropractor to get your spine adjusted. Both could help.

Heel pain.....sciatica....I get it went I step up a significant step....
Back pain....everything is adjusting still....do as Jo said!
Rachel

Avia,
Something else you may want to check - your shoes. I was walking all lopsided in mine prior to my surgeries and had some of them worn down to the inside. Great excuse to go shoe-shopping:flwr:.

Glenys
LHR 5/28/09
RHR 7/23/09

Thanks I will speak to my PT and have my gait checked.

Great idea :thmb:about the shoes I'llbe out tomorrow.

TLHR 10/07/09

As if you needed any excuses!:hehe: Good luck!:thmb:

Excellent advice here....I can't add any more! New shoes and gait improvement should help relieve the pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads