Had a complete meltdown last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahoe1009

The pain was unbearable last night and I couldn't take it anymore!! I have been fighting night time pain ever since my THR! I'm kind of a tough guy and my pain tolerence is really high! Last night I cried like a baby for an hour and really freaked my wife out!! (Who has never seen me cry) I was up all night!! Nurse came at nine to check me out... My PTINR was 4.9 - really high!! So high they told me not to blow my nose too hard and not to brush my teeth! Is this ever going to get better? Will I ever be glad I did this?? New pain meds working now, going to see if I can get some sleep!!

So very sorry to hear you are having so much pain! I have not had my surgery yet and I'm having my knees replaced so all I can say is what the team of doctors told me. Rest and not rush your recovery or it will delay it. And don't be shy to ask for pain pills. No reason to suffer and prolong your recovery.
Jayne

Tahoe I was exactly the same when I was in hospital! Had a couple of nights where I burst into tears the minute I saw my husband (totally freaked him out as well cos I'm not normally a sook)! I too have a fairly high pain tolerance - but this was "something else" again......!!

Are they giving you enough pain relief to stay on top of things?? It doesn't sound like it to me!

I have no idea what a PTINR is - but it doesn't sound good???

The only thing I AM sure of is that you WILL be glad you've had the surgery and this period of time will seem like a distant memory. Hopefully the new meds will do the trick and you can get some sleep. But don't try and be stoic - let someone know if they aren't working.
Thinking of you,

Peta

Oh, Tahoe, I'm so sorry you're going through this! I'm not a medical pro at all, but I think once they manage to get your clot-prevention meds at the right level, you'll see a big improvement.

And once you are past this part--yes, emphatically YES--you WILL be glad you did this! Hang in--we're all here for you!

Tahoe - ditto everything the others have said. Once you get through this bad spell, you will NOT regret having it done! Take care!

Oh Tahoe I know it how you feel, we all do ...Please just know, from expeirence it will get better . I wish I could give a date but I cant but the more you try , try to think positive no matter what find a lil something you will get thru it...lease hang in there............in the long run you will see...........Kim

Tahoe, I agree with what the others have said. Sometimes you have to ride this stuff out to find the right mix for pain control. But, be vocal....if it's not working, say so!!! And loudly. Remeber Jo's pain curve....if you get behind, it is difficult to catch up to adequately manage the pain.

As for your PT-INR, shame on those guys for not managing your levels better! They can do a better job. Hopefully that is rectified soon and they have changed your doseage of Coumadin (or Warfarin).

Please post again to let us know how you are!

Tahoe
I am sorry you had so much pain. I hope it is taken care of now. Please get better pain control, it makes a world of difference. I was managed wonderfully when I had my hip replaced, but my recent back surgery did me in. I feel I too have a high tolerance for pain, but after my Jan surgery , I spent many hours in the hospital crying. So, I do feel your pain.

Please tell us that is under control now
judy

Hope you are feeling better soon Tahoe, meltdowns are perfectly acceptable, I had my best one on my 5 week anniversary. Pain is a terrible thing and can sneak up and get us even with high pain tolerances.

Take care,

Pain management is something you do all the time not just now an again.

ai41.tinypic.com_33uqqnq.jpg

Thanks everyone!! I have been doing better since then and actually slept well last night!! Amazing how much a decent nights sleep will improve your attitude. I am working hard on the pain management with my OS (who is working hard on this with me too). I have simply had a rough go of this whole process!! I don't try to let the pain get to bad before I medicate, believe me, but it has gotten the best of me many times in this process!! It has pole vaulted from 4 to 10 rather quickly for me many times. It's always way worse at night too for whatever reason. That night it was so bad that I just melted down. When I talked to the OS the next day, he was on top of fixing the issue.
As for the PTINR -- We really have no idea how it got that out of hand. I went from therapeutic to yesterday's 4.9 in 4 days on the same dose of Coumadin. We are vigilant about the interactions too, yet there are so many... I am at a loss as to what happened there or what the answer is. The plan is no Coumadin until another PTINR on Tuesday -- and then build a new plan. The OS suggested that we may use the Lovenox again after Tuesday. I don't know what the issue is there, but that's kind of worrisome at the same time. The whole clotting and anticoagulant nonsense is really confusing. I am still totally unsure how I got clots in the fist place. I had not been that sedentary, I had only been out of the hospital for 2 days, had been taking Lovenox prophylaxis, in hospital had the pneumatic pumps on my feet and had done the pumping exercises that PT had shown me, I had continued that at home with elevation and ice... So why clots is anybody's guess. I am so frustrated. I believe you guys that I will be happy when this heals!! My hip was really bad pre-op so... I know it's going to be better when it heals. I think I had an expectation that I would feel closer to that by now. Heck, my OS thought so too and said as much so... I am sure that has been some of my problem.
[As a side note: My OS has been awesome!! I don't talk to his office staff, I talk to him. He has called just to see how I feel. He has treated me on his normal days off. He has been nothing but supportive about pain management and getting the anticoagulant steady. All around he has been great as well as SO nice!! My wife and his are friends and she said as much to her the day before yesterday. When his wife relayed that to him he thought she was being sarcastic because of all the problems I have had. I am glad that I have had him on my side!! I have had a lot of other Ortho. Surgery previously from doctors that were not nearly as helpful or as nice. I am very happy with him]
One other thing on this rant... it is absolutely amazing to me to have legs that are equal length and that my right leg is no longer externally rotated -- its almost a novelty when walking today to have my foot pointing forward as it has not been like that in over 14 years.
Ok enough out of me... thanks for all your support and listening to me. You guys are the greatest!!

Hey Tahoe, so glad you are feeling better! And see, when you feel like this, it allows you to see the benefits of the surgery! So keep concentrating on those positives and soon this bad spell will just be a memory. Your OS sounds awesome! Take care! :)

Awwww, Tahoe! So glad you are feeling better. It comes through in your post!!! Don't ever apologize for chatting a lot....that's what the forum is FOR!! Hope this continues for you now.....tell that OS of yours that he's a hero in the BoneSmart book too! He sounds fabulous.

I snapped at my wife more than once in those first 10 days or so when my meds would wear off and she thought I needed to wait another 15 minutes until the subscribed time had elapsed. I reminded her the darn bottle said that 1 - 2 every 4 hours and that I had only taken ONE 3hrs 45min ago...

Pain meds are a tool, use them respectfully, but USE them.

Tahoe
So glad you are better and have a great OS. My last spine surgery turned into more pain than I could deal with, tears, sobs, calling all kinds of personel at the hospital etc. My doc was wonderful through it all too, put his cell # in my phone for easy access to him. It really helped knowing he was there for me.
I was like Mudpro was mentioning about the pain meds through my previous surgery, this time, I did not care if it was only 3 hours, I did not want the pain to get the best of me again.
Keep resting, it is still so early in your recovery.
judy

Ditto's on the 'glad you are doing better' replies Tahoe! I totally agree that the pain meds work much better as per Josephine's curve/table; stay in front of the pain level and it actually results in less actual drug use. ( As a person 'in recovery'/12-stepper...this was a MAJOR concern for me! I totally got off of the 'script meds in week four, and resumed Aleve or Ibuprofin....didn't NEED the heavier stuff! ) With the level of pain-relief science being where it is today, I really see NO REASON to be in that kind of pain! Like Mudpro said, be careful and respect the drugs, but they were PRESCRIBED for a reason! Lee.

Lee, I'm happy to hear how well you did with the meds. Great job!!! It does pay to use them on a schedule. Your comments will definitely help those on the fourm who fear addiction to the pain meds. Thanks for posting!!

Tahoe-
Glad things are looking better--a good night's sleep and proper pain control are the answer to many of our prayers.
Blessings,
Irene

I just want you all to know that you are the greatest!! You have been so much help!! Today was the best day yet for me... Least pain, greatest mobility!! Now if tonight goes well I will be awesome!! Thanks again for all your help!!
Oh yeah... One more thing... If we get this clot and anticoagulant therapy sorted out then all will be well toward this recovery bizz!! We'll keep our fingers crossed!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom