• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Had a bilateral CD, now have had a THR

OP
OP
B

bonaventur

Country
United States United States
Hello Fellow Hippies!

How are you all doing? Happy love filled, joyful restful Valentine's day in advance!

Its #Day34_post_LTHR and I'm doing ok. It still amazes me that I can put weight on my left leg without recoiling in pain. :egypdance:

Muscle and knee soreness plus pain remains but its not a constant. In the meantime, I am practicing walking properly (heel to toe) and consciously refraining from limping. Difficult changing what has been a 2 year norm for me but I can walk unassisted with short strides for some minutes. I average about 1.5 - 2 miles per day walking the halls with my walker on days when I am pain-free.
Rising from a seated position is mostly difficult no thanks to my back so I tend to stay on my feet or lay on my back.

Had my OS visit on Monday and he says I'm coming along just fine.

Goodnight all and sweet dreams.:sleeep:

OP
OP
B

bonaventur

Country
#Day48_post_THR

Saw the surgeon yesterday.

The visit started with radiology where x-rays of the operated leg were taken (one with my right and left legs flat and toes of both feet pointed toward each other - pigeon toe style; the other with just left leg bent at the knee and rotated outward from knee).

While second pose was slightly uncomfortable, first pose hurt a lot.

After the x-rays, I was taken to the examination room where a male nurse took pictures of my x-ray and my mug shot.

When the Surgeon arrived, he reviewed my X-rays, asked how I was doing, listened to my complaints, assessed my range of motion plus where my pain was palpable and then concluded that my pain may be from bursitis.

He amended my PT prescription, allayed my fears by telling me that set backs are almost a given with hip replacement surgeries but that the pain would most likely be tissue or muscle related and in my case (with a history of 3 bulging discs on my lower back which may or may not be related to getting rear ended years ago) nerve related too, sent off to the pharmacy, a preventative antibiotics prescription (with lots of refill) for me to have on hand for any future dental work and then sent me on my way with a follow up visit scheduled for 3/2/2020.

From the exam room, the next stop was the check out where my next appointment was scheduled, my PT form was provided and my card containing the photos taken by the nurse in the examination room was handed to me.

I just finished scouring bonesmart forum and it seems I prematurely stopped icing and elevating. Hopefully resuming both will take care of the 'bursitis'. Due to having Reynolds syndrome, I am not a fan of being cold and so did not push for icing after last Friday's PT session. I also assisted in cooking on Sunday. The pain started that evening after I was seated and seems to come on whenever I draw the left foot in while seated (experienced it in the car after doctor's visit too).

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:@bonaventur
I'm glad the doc got some reassuring xrays and I remember the process was a bit uncomfortable for me too.:umm:
I just finished scouring bonesmart forum and it seems I prematurely stopped icing and elevating
This is definitely going to be helpful, in my opinion.
Regarding cold, I agree...not a fan.
Regarding icing for hip replacement recovery...the Best!:ice::ice:

Also icing and elevating forces us to rest and at less than two months out, all of things are important.
Lots of healing still happening.
Hope today is a Good Day!!!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi there! :wave:
Happy Two Month Anniversary! I hope you've been doing well over the past couple weeks. Leave us an update when you have time. We'd love to follow your progress. Have a wonderful Wednesday! :)
@bonaventur

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Elphie
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom