Gymnast - Mary Lou Retton and other celeb THRs

Scott.....is he the "cheater?". How are you feeling today??? :)

Now THAT'S better, Scott!! We don't want to hear about anyone bad associated with our replacements!!! :)

Yep, he was suspended for alleged doping. I think his suspension just ended in January, so he's racing again. Supposedly he is racing just fine with the new hip.

He's got a "resurfaced" hip, that's even better than doping... :D:p

"It’s a state-of-art procedure, in a sense a more delicate procedure than in a full replacement surgery,” Henson said. “His rehab time should be a little shorter and he should be able to get back to full movement sooner. If all goes well, he should be even stronger.”

He's got a "resurfaced" hip, that's even better than doping... :D:p

"It’s a state-of-art procedure, in a sense a more delicate procedure than in a full replacement surgery,” Henson said. “His rehab time should be a little shorter and he should be able to get back to full movement sooner. If all goes well, he should be even stronger.”

Indeed it is!

I'm jealous of you, Mud. I wanted a resurfacing but my bad leg was too short to get lengthened enough with a resurfacing. I think that is such a great option.

Indeed it is!

I'm jealous of you, Mud. I wanted a resurfacing but my bad leg was too short to get lengthened enough with a resurfacing. I think that is such a great option.

Scott,

Having done recovery with a number of folks who got THR, and reading everything I could come across for the last 5 months, I have to say that IMHO the only real benefit to resurfacing is the saving of bone in case I need a revision later in life. A second surgery for me would be easier as a result of the resurfacing leaving the entire femar neck and most of the head in tact.

My ROM, recovery time, scar, how fast I got off of pain meds, risk of complications, and every other measure of comparison I can think of is pretty similar to most everyone I've read about or talked to who got a THR at around my age.

I was just kidding in the previous post... ;)

I don't follow the biking sports so I had never heard of Landis before, Armstrong of course but not Landis.

During that infamous 2006 Tour de France, it was first reported that he was riding with a condition known as osteonecrosis in his right hip. That meant that his hip was suffering from a lack of blood supply, and the ball joint was deteriorating. He had a Birmingham hip resurfacing procedure done in September 2006 and is looking to do something no one has done before, he said.

"My focus has been my hip," Landis said. "I had [the surgery] nearly three years ago now, and I am focused on being the first athlete to compete at the highest level with an artificial hip."

It will be very interested to see how his BHR holds up. If it makes it 5 years under those conditions, mine should last 50...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom