BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

Gulp - Bilateral knee replacement scheduled

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Freya, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Freya

Freya Junior Member

United States United States
    Saw my Doctor yesterday, and he suggested doing both knees at once?!? I hired a personal trainer in November, and have lost 20 pounds. Surgery scheduled for April 25, so I have two more months to lose more weight and get in better shape. Am a bit anxious; but working through them. After all, I have NO quality of life right now ~ I can barely get into work at this point. ☹️ So I guess I'll come out of surgery with equal length legs ~ doctor said a bit taller because he'll straighten out my legs as they have become quite bowed. I have help in home now, and will go to a rehab facility for two weeks post op. So, I'm crossing my fingers, praying, and expecting a positive outcome all around. Any further suggestions anyone can give I'm totally open to all of them. Freya

2. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Upper body strength is IMO better to go for than leg strength, you'll lose a fair bit of leg condition whilst healing (don't worry, you'll get it back) and you'll use your arms in recovery.
    Or as near as it needs, mine are about 3mm different, which you'd not notice unless you ride a bike seriously
    I could put my heels together and fit my fist - wide way not narrow way - between my knees. Dead straight now.

Bilateral is the way to go, IMO, just one recovery.

3. Freya

Freya Junior Member

Thanks so much. I'm actually pretty strong for a middle aged woman so I don't think I'll have too much problems. Pray for me lol

4. Roy Gardiner

Do you have any help at home lined up, or do you live alone?

You will spend a lot of time sitting doing not much in the first month at least. You need a comfy but fairly high easy chair (a recliner is ideal, but I used an ordinary armchair with books underneath to lift it). It will be your HQ and will be (probably) in front of the telly. You will need a toilet riser and ideally grab handles by the toilet to minimise the force going through your knees as you sit and stand up again.

If you can live on a single level, perfect. You will want to minimise climbing stairs for a while.

Don't worry, all this sounds hard but is perfectly do-able.

5. dnslbrg

dnslbrg Junior Member

I wish I could have got both knees done at once. I got my right knee done in July and now my left knee has progressively gotten worse so I'll have to get it done soon. The awful thing for me is my co-pay. After paying the 6300 last year, now we'll have to pay it again to get this one done. Sigh, such is life I guess. You'll do fine and be back at em soon.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

6. DebM

DebM Senior

Australia Australia
    Hi @Freya. I am Day 6 post bilateral and I certainly don't regret it. I am overweight after many months of restriction to my walking. I am in rehab until Friday week and they say I am doing well.
    I just wanted to get it over and done with so I could get on with life. As slow as it will be I will only get better now, my arthritis is gone

• Like Like x 1
  7. Roy Gardiner

:thumb::thumb:

8. lene'

lene' Member

Hi Freya, I am also a bilateral TKR my surgery was October 5th so I am about 3 1/2 months out...I did bilateral for the same reason @dnslbrg wishes she did, I didn't want so much time away from work and I didn't want to pay that co-pay twice. I am VERY happy I did both now!! I won't kid you those first two-three weeks were tough but doable!!! And every thing Roy says is true. The biggest thing is get everything up high, your chair/recliner. your bed and your toilet seat. The less you have to get up and down the better!!! And Arm strength is key, you will use them extensively! I worked free weight for my arms before surgery and rode my bike for my legs, but the arms were key. There are lots of Bilateral folks here with good ideas...You can do this!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. gazelle7777

gazelle7777 Post-Grad

@Freya I was 58 in 2013 when I had both my knees replaced. Please follow my year journey on the link below. I started my journey from just hours after surgery and though the first year. I also was very very bowed and was using crutches to walk. I still worked but it was so awfully painful with every step I took. Today I have two beautiful straight legs( I wear them proudly and can wear tight jeans again instead of wide leg pants to hide my bowed legs). I have NO PAIN AT ALL and can walk for miles with my two dogs:dogwalk:.... garden.... and exercise:upright::treadmill: again. It will be life changing for you to have your knees replace. I also had both my hips replaced after my knees... so I am doing really well with all my bionic equipment. If you have any questions for me after reading my journey on the link below just message me. Joan:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jeterbug

Jeterbug New Member

I have bilateral PKR tomorrow. Will let you know how the recovery goes. I've been working with a trainer for 7 weeks to be as strong as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

11. Freya

Freya Junior Member

Yes, please do! Thanks!

12. Freya

Freya Junior Member

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words. I'm looking forward to being able to sleep and walk without pain.

13. Freya

Freya Junior Member

Yes, I will be alone during the day; but my fellow will be with me at night. Friends will check in during the day ~ perhaps only by phone; but I should be okay. I live pretty much on one level ~ just one small step into the room I go outside from. Thankfully I have no copays or out of pocket expenses (although there may be the odd thing I'll have to cover). For me, I don't want two anesthetic's so I opted for one surgery. It's a bit daunting; but I'm patient and compliant so it will be fine. Thanks everyone for your encouragement. Freya

14. Kathi 777

Kathi 777 Member

@Freya. I just had bilateral 1/10 and could not be happier... you can do this! I was the youngster, there was a 80 yr old lady did both knees day after me. It is doable!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

15. DebM

DebM Senior

Australia Australia
    Hi @Freya. I came home Friday after a total of 2 weeks in hospital ( surgery/rehab BTKR.) Hubby is home for 2 weeks but he is running teenagers around etc so not here all the time. He cooks and cleans etc too.
    I am quite self sufficient during the day getting up each hour to go for a short wander around the house/toilet/etc. Because I use two canes I have a fabric satchel that I sling across my body to carry things like water bottle, food etc.and my mobile in case of emergency. I think with a bit of planning with you and your fellow you would be fine during the day.

16. Want2hike

Want2hike Member

If you can get somebody to stay with you during your first couple of days home, I would recommend that.

With my bilateral, I was in the hospital for 3 nights and then sent home. The first week was the hardest. My mom came to visit to help for that week, so my husband could work, drive the kids, grocery shop, etc. and somebody would be home to make sure I didn't fall. After 4 days at home, mom gave me a lot more independence. When she went home after the first week, I was alone during the day while my husband worked, and I was able to take care of all my own needs while he was out.

17. newlybionic

newlybionic Forum Advisor

I'm going to get my next TKR one week before your BTKR. It would be helpful to have someone stop by every day for the first few weeks. The main thing I've needed help with was to get in some groceries since I live alone. You can have your fello set you up with some of the things you'll need during the day before he leaves for work.

18. tjcteacher

tjcteacher Senior

9 months since my bilateral knee replacement and it's been great-no regrets.

• Like Like x 2
  19. tjcteacher

tjcteacher Senior

It does take 8 weeks I think to feel better-at 3 months post op you don't think about the knees much-you just live life!

20. Freya

Freya Junior Member

Thanks everyone so much! I'll be home during the day, and will rest lots! My girlfriend will stop by on her way home (earlier than my fellow gets off) to let my dog out. He's planning to stay fully with me for a month post op, so it'll all be good. Am retiring at the end of March, so there will be no pressure to "hurry up and get back to work," which is a relief. The first three weeks of April I will work out with my trainer three x a week, so I'll be ready. It honestly cannot get here fast enough as my legs ache so much I'm frequently in tears by day's end. ☹️ Will keep you posted on how it all goes. Thanks again for all your support and kind words. Freya

• Like Like x 1