TKR Guidance on rehab center or home

Yellowrose

Country
United States United States
Hello all! Starting to get things ready fir the big day. My husband had hernia surgery two days ago, and I’m scheduled for tkr two weeks from tomorrow. I’m concerned that he may not be able yet to help me move around when I’m home. Advice? Thanks in advance!

@Yellowrose You will not be discharged from hospital until you can move around on your own including up and down stairs. You husband might need to fetch things for you or make a light meal. But he won't need to be at your side or physically support you.

Just have your recovery area all set up before going to the hospital. Ice packs or ice machine ready, items you use daily within reach.

@Yellowrose You will not be discharged from hospital until you can move around on your own including up and down stairs. You husband might need to fetch things for you or make a light meal. But he won't need to be at your side or physically support you.

Just have your recovery area all set up before going to the hospital. Ice packs or ice machine ready, items you use daily within reach.

Thanks! This gives me some perspective!!! I’d hate for both of us to be gimpy!

@Yellowrose
My name is Diana do I go under the member name here of ACIM.
I am reaching out to you because I noticed that your date of surgery is one day before mine. I will be following your thread just to see how you are doing... do you mind me asking what state you live in? I live in South Carolina just outside of Charleston. This will be my fifth joint surgery. How about you?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Yellowrose
My name is Diana do I go under the member name here of ACIM.
I am reaching out to you because I noticed that your date of surgery is one day before mine. I will be following your thread just to see how you are doing... do you mind me asking what state you live in? I live in South Carolina just outside of Charleston. This will be my fifth joint surgery. How about you?

Hello! I’m in Deep South Texas and this is my first surgery on my legs!!! I’m prepping the house right now, and walking with the walker I had from my grandmother to check spacial paths in the house. My night table is clear, and I’m going on Amazon tomorrow to order things I may need.

Hello Miss Yellow Rose of Texas... Scary nice to meet you. I am in Charleston South Carolina. Yes, I too have purchased most of the equipment I'm going to need except for crutches and perhaps a cane. My hospital is giving me a walker, my insurance company covered me 100% for a raised toilet seat, I got one of those Grabbers ( you know the long sticks that have a hook on the end so you don't have to move if you want to reach to get something with it) on Amazon I think for $12. I bought a plastic chair at Dollar General for like 6 bucks so I can sit in the chair in the bathtub.
Are you married? I guess what I'm really asking is do you have people around to help you after the surgery? And are you going under a general anesthesia or just a spinal block which they have started doing a couple of years ago... Oh do tell MaryCool-this is going to be my life for the next few months, LOL.

Hi Yellowrose,

I'm heading to my 2nd TKR soon, but all my husband did first time ‘round was make sure my pills were organized, bring me things when I was too pain-ridden to get them myself, and provide emotional support plus watching over me as I learned how to do stuff with new baby knee. He was the cook, but he made simple stuff...

This time I’m normally his care-giver as he battled leukemia which he beat, but he is now legally blind. So, this time a friend is coming to stay the first 3 nights, and I hired a helper to come in 2x a day to help get us meals for the first couple of weeks.

My daughter and her family live nearby and I could get other friends to stop by if needed, I know... I got a big freezer so I can pre-make some favorite meals to package in meal-sized containers, too. My main goal is to not need me to be on my feet too much, based on last time’s issue of pain not well controlled at first, but that’s because I had bad reactions to the drugs... most everyone else didn’t have those issues...

I bet you’ve done friends lots of favors so now it’s your turn to get some help back maybe?

Good luck with your surgery and I’ll be filling in a few weeks!

MaryCool-this is going to be my life for the next few months, LOL.
The other thing I got from Amazon was a bed table! I used it for a couple weeks, for meals mainly and set my laptop on it a couple times. It was the best purchase!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom