THR Guess Who?!

shugaplum

Hi All! I had a BoneSmart ad pop up on my facebook feed and realized that I haven't checked in AGES!

This past fall was 10 years since my THR (can you believe it?!) and I feel great. My life is drastically different than when I had my surgery. I am still happily married, our son is now 7 and we have a 2.5 year old daughter. I am no longer dancing - I was teaching for a long time and got burned out. I wanted more regular hours to be with my family so I transitioned over to Human Resources. I now work in Benefits at a hospital - I actually have a lot in common with some of our employees as a lot of nurses end up with joint replacements!

I basically forget that I ever had my THR. I have some occasional irritation when I overdo it or the weather makes it a little cranky but overall, I just feel normal. I can sit indian style with no issue, I walk a lot, wear heels at work, and have maintained the majority of my flexibility even though I'm no longer dancing daily. My surgery feels like a lifetime ago - sometimes it feels like it never even happened and yet at the same time, I will never forget the horrible pain I was in pre-surgery even when lying in bed. Both my pregnancies were good, my second was even easier on me as I gained less weight. I did have a c section with both but I also have a few dancer friends who had a THR and went on to deliver a few years later.

I'm sorry I don't check in more. I searched for my posts and found my name coming up time after time after time (Thank you, Josephine!). It is an enormous honor to me that I could be an inspiration for others on this path. This journey felt so scary and I felt so alone at the time. I knew no one else who was young and going through this. My first doctor blew off my concerns and my employer at the time was unsupportive. Bonesmart became such a wonderful support group of friends for me who lifted me up and it is huge to me that I can pay that forward.

To those of you pre-op: surgery is scary but no one should have to be in constant pain from something that is fixable. I found the pains of recovery to be nothing compared to the pain of bone on bone. Hang in there, post often with your questions, and keep your eyes on the other side.

To those on the other side: I hope all is well with your new joints and that you are getting your lives back. I hope everyone has that moment when they suddenly realize one day that they no longer think about their joint. It's an amazing feeling <3

With love,
Shugaplum

Welcome back, @shugaplum. :friends:

it's great to read your update and hear that you're still doing well.

Welcome back, thanks for checking in with a wonderful update. Congratulations on your growing family.

@shugaplum .... how delightful to have an update from you! And even better that you're doing so well and now have two wonderful babies in your life. We do use your photos and story a lot because it is such a happy one. Jo has now retired from the forum and is in the middle of recovery from a knee revision. I'll PM you her email address as she is not on the forum much these days. If you have some time, I know she would adore hearing from you and knowing that you've had another baby.

All the best to you, my friend!!

:wave:@shugaplum
I was one of the members who was so inspired and comforted seeing your story and indeed you are quite a cited legend on the site.:) :-) (:
So happy to see your post and know that you are doing well.:loveshwr:

@shugaplum - so great to read your lovely update! Thanks for checking in! You continue to inspire our members and give hope to those who are in that scary pre-op place.

Your 2 little ones must keep you busy. Please keep in touch!

@shugaplum sooo great to hear your update! I am one who cites you when young people are worried they'll lose their ability to stay fit.

And how wonderful about the babies! I remember you and Josephine discussing how the whole pregnancy/ligaments thing would go. And now you're in HR. Isn't that kind of an extension of teaching dance? Herding cats only not so cute? :heehee:

Thank you for popping in and sharing this! A hip replacement at 26! No joke. I am so happy to hear you had a great opportunity to give birth to two lovely kiddies. I will remember your words on my recovery path: that one day I will no longer remember that I have a replacement.
Also, amen to bone on bone pain. Recovery stuff is nothing compared to that in my case as well. Phew.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back