Ask the Expert Webinar
Lounge Doctor

TKR Guess what Roger is up to?

zjrog

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Hey guys!!! I'm back with a new journey. I'm starting the process for right TKR, hoping for next month. All depends on my insurance and such.

Ten years ago this November my left knee was replaced and I won't go into great detail, but I will say it has been fantastic. I said then and ever since, when it was time for my right, I wouldn't hesitate. Well. Here we are. I had a such a good outcome the first time, I really will be happy if I get within 90% of that first knee.

I have the complication of my left ankle needs replacement or fusion. Something changed in it, recently and not for the better. I've been in an AFO brace since last December. I was concerned that surgery was going to need to happen before the knee. But that ankle surgeon wants my knee done first to set a solid platform for the ankle moving forward. I'm not kidding when I say, currently I don't have a good leg to stand on...

I have had changes to my insurance that now requires referrals, and my Primary Care doc wants to sit me down Friday before writing it. I already called the knee surgeon's office, as soon as they see the referral, they will start the preapproval process with my insurance, but still need to get xrays... And yes, I am using the same surgeon that did my first knee.

I am not using the same surgeon for my knees and the ankle. I'm not sure that I am a good candidate for ankle replacement. But I will be looking into that, and getting second and maybe third opinions...

Hi guys!! What have I missed?

(PS, I won't be jumping off anything this time...)

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Welcome back @zjrog - although I'm sorry to hear you need to have two more joints replaced.

You know the drill, so I hardly need to remind you to let us know when you have a surgery date - but I will. :heehee:

Here are our pre-op articles, to help you prepare for surgery:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

OP
OP
zjrog

zjrog

post-grad
Country
Welcome back @zjrog - although I'm sorry to hear you need to have two more joints replaced.

You know the drill, so I hardly need to remind you to let us know when you have a surgery date - but I will. :heehee:

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries
Thanks for the welcome back... I well know the drill. Time and patience, rest, ice and elevate... ;)

I'm one of the first of those stories... :)

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi and welcome back. I hope you get your referral soon and can proceed with the next steps to a pain free knee. Have a peaceful day.

OP
OP
zjrog

zjrog

post-grad
Country
had my preop visit today, preauthorization paperwork is now started. I didn't get any pics of the xrays, but very bone on bone, as expected, and of course, the arthritis is everywhere. Despite having it cleaned out 4 years ago.

We discussed using the same knee I got in my left (Stryker Triathlon) and the improvements that have been made in 10 years. We discussed length of the hospital stay, pain meds and duration, PT at home and then outpatient. Really, nothing significantly different than last time. They weren't doing robotic assist during the last one, so that was fully covered. I summarized that process as the robot doesn't let the doc "color outside the lines".

So now I wait for insurance for a surgical date. And then a CT scan appointment.

My insurance is Tricare, I am retired Navy. It has been pretty good to me over the years, but with the changes made the past couple years, I'm a bit nervous going forward.

But for the basics of TKR, I'm anxious to get it on... Weird, right?

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
But for the basics of TKR, I'm anxious to get it on... Weird, right?
No, not at all. You want to get to the other side and start healing so you can have your life back. I was anxious but wanted it done so I could just deal with recovery and stop the waiting. My theory was if I need it done - let's do it now. Unfortunately I had long waits for all my replacements as my surgeon's schedule was very busy. I hope you do not have a long wait and you get your insurance approval soon, followed by the surgery.

Have a good week end.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TKR. 2019
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom