Hip Arthroscopy Groin Pain Pre & Post Op

Kristen37

Country
United States United States
Hello fellow hipsters. My backstory and a question for you….

I started have severe zaps, spasms, jolts in my right groin (at the top inside right leg) in Oct 2021. After several doctors and an MRI, I ended up at a hip doctor noting 2 torn labrums (the LEFT is actually worse with a 4mm cyst on it but the pain is on right groin), a cyst on cervix, and a Tarlov Cyst on S2. ‍♀️

I am now 4 weeks Post Op ( April 21,2022) and still have the original groin pain in addition to the new pains from surgery.

Has anyone else experienced the groin issue still being there? On this site, I’ve read some people have groin pain after surgery but not sure if it’s the same kind. I’m debating to start digging into the other cysts to see if one is sitting on an nerve that goes into the groin.

Any input is super appreciated!

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery! Thanks for joining us.

Just to be clear, is it your right hip you had the surgery on? Let us know and we’ll add it to your signature.

I don‘t think groin pain is unusual. Wonder if you’re icing? If not please consider it as it will help with pain and inflammation. There is an article on ICE in the Recovery Guidelines below. THR recovery take a full year, even longer for some. The same goes for Hip Arthroscopy. Keeping that in mind, you’re very early into the healing process.

If it will offer you reassurance to speak to a medical professional about the other cysts, I would encourage you to do so. There is nothing like peace of mind.
I hope to follow your healing journey and wish you all the best!

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you for good info! Yes, it’s my right hip that I had done (FAI / Torn Labrum). I do ice for longer than 20 Minutes (until hip ice packs are no longer cold) all day long. Today is awful… probably had 15 “jolts/spasms”’so far today. I cancel PT when I have days like this. My surgeon said the labrum was severely torn and stuck in the hip joint. He thought I would have instant relief and groin pain would be gone. The frequency is much worse after surgery so of course, the doubt creeps in if these bolts of pain is really from the hip.

You’re welcome!
In my time here I learned that recovery from hip arthroscopy can be longer and more painful than recovery from THR, which is unfortunate. Possibly you should consider stepping away from the PT for several weeks allowing your hip to heal further and see how you feel. It may be worth a try to see if you find relief. A peaceful evening to you.
@Kristen37

I am not well versed on hip arthroscopies but with both of my THR's I had quite a bit of groin pain and it lasted for more than a few weeks, it was especially noticeable when I overdid things.
I think you are wise to pursue answers in regards to your other issues and I agree with @Layla that if possible, avoid PT for a couple of weeks to see how it may help.

Good luck and please keep updating..

Thanks for adding me here!

I had Hip Arthosopy (FAI / Torn Labrum) on April 21. My primary symptom was bad groin pain- zaps. After surgery, they are much worse. They are intermittent- jolts then spasms. Today, it’s been happening since 4:00pm and now it’s 10:40pm. I’m on Gabapentin, a muscle relaxer, and will start Lexapro tomorrow to see if that helps. At this point, nothing seems to help much.

Does anyone else experience this?

@Kristen37 Your post was moved out of the monthly surgery team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information. Please keep questions and updates in your recovery thread. :flwrysmile:

Ah! I thought this was for people to chat with areas that had surgery around the same time frame.

Hi there! I had hip arthroscopy for a labral tear and hip impingement on May 17th. I am still dealing with groin pain. As it is pretty early in my recovery I’m hoping it is just part of the process. I hope yours improves quickly!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom