BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] groin pain after 3 months post op

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by hobbitgirl, Apr 27, 2019.

1. hobbitgirl

hobbitgirl new member

United States United States
    I am in week 13 after second hip replacement. First hip replacement is still perfect after 6 months. Two weeks ago I am feeling sharp groin pain after standing on the affected leg a few moments and sometimes, unpredictably, while walking. What does this mean?

2. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    From what I see here, it often points to overdoing it and that certainly holds true for me. Ice it lots and try to get the ice pack right in there about 4 times a day for an hour each time. I wonder if you are feeling a little braver this time around. I find that icing routine is helpful all the time but to settle that groin pain down, at least 2 days rest with the ice is the best method.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. lotusbuds

lotusbuds member

I agree 100% with @Carriemay60 as that is how I experience it. The groin pain is an instant sign to me I am doing too much. Sometimes the next day I am fine sometimes it takes 2. Ice is my new best friend. I am at 8 weeks and tend to over do it a lot. For me the other issue is swelling in my upper thigh that feels like a balloon under my thigh. This seems to happen if I over do it too. So hopefully that is all it is for you.
    Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hello, Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery. Thanks for joining us here!

We need a bit of info from you - please leave the exact dates of each of your THR's and which hip was replaced. The information will be applied as your signature.

It's difficult to know why you're experiencing pain, since we don't know what your activity level is, or has been. Or whether you're engaging in PT. You're still in early weeks of recovery with complete recovery taking up to a year or longer. You've had two major surgeries within three months it appears. That's a lot to recover from. Wondering if you've been icing? Icing helps with pain and swelling. Ice any areas that are painful for 40-60 minutes, no less, several times per day. Target 4x daily.

Below you will find the Recovery Guidelines. Please read through them and pay special attention to the BIG TIP
    as well as the article on ICE.

If your pain doesn't begin to improve with rest and regular icing, I suggest you contact the office of your OS and through a series of questions they'll either offer reassurance or have you schedule an appointment.

Wishing you comfort and speedy relief.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfo
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HertsHippy

HertsHippy member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @hobbitgirl - I had this. My OS said in my case it was because the adductors has become atrophied and weak from very bad OA. It was not from overdoing it. The pain disappeared over time as my leg became stronger.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I’ve had the same in my 1st. THR leg this weekend (done 6 years ago) think its trying to take the pain off my new 5 week old 2nd hip... I’ve put a hot water bottle on & did some stretching & it has helped x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 1