THR Groin issue after anterior THR

Thank you so much! I was so disappointed the second opinion OS knew less than I did about this condition. To claim he’s never seen it so it doesn’t exist was ridiculous. I looked in the patient portal and he coded my visit as “Patient Education”. What the heck does that mean? I’m sure my insurance will not cover this visit they way he coded it! What a waste of my time!

I fully understand. This process can be so frustrating and the wheels seem slow to turn. What surprised me is the wide spectrum these doctors are on even though they’re in the same specialty. It might seem trite to say but true: you’ll know the right one when you meet him/her. Do your due diligence and when that aligns with your comfort level, you’ll be on your way. Praying you find a doctor and a solution soon. We’re here if you need us. Keep us posted.

Thank you again and against! Do you know if I would get worse if I pushed myself through the pain so I can get some exercise in my day? Perhaps walking longer and then icing. Or trying to ride my incumbent trike?

Hi everyone!

In continuation of trying to solve the pain issue I’m having from the tendon after my RTHR. I saw another doctor in my practice. I’m not sure why I was sent to him since he’s a Sports Medicine doctor. He’s never done the revision. I told him I feel like I’m getting the run around and he said that’s because you are. He told me to contact my insurance company and demand my OS’practice be included under my insurance because I’m having issues with the surgery he performed. I’ve been trying to get the insurance company to understand and they are elevating my situation. I also found out the Hospital for Special Surgeries in not in-network. What a bummer! I have a consultation with another surgeon in my OS’ practice but the earliest I could be seen was May. I asked my OS if I worked thru the pain would I do more damage and he said no. At least I can try and be active once the warmer weather gets here. I’m just not sure how much pain I can tolerate.

@Denpucc1 so sorry you're still not getting the answers you want. At least the sports medicine doc sounded like he was being honest with you. Thinking you were sent to him as he probably sees this or very similar issues in his practice.

I would like to suggest that you actively ice every chance you get, wherever you're feeling pain. It really does help, I still do it once in a while and I'm closing in on 3 years post THR.

Also if you're going to exercise, I would suggest that you start very slowly, low repetitions and ease into it. Maybe some nice gentle stretches will help. And, if it hurts, stop. Ice after exercising as a precaution. Maybe see if the doc will send you for some specialized physical therapy.

I know you just want it fixed and over with now but unfortunately the medical system and insurance don't work that way. Would make way too much sense and be too efficient! :snork:. Wishing you the best, just trying to think of things that might help.

Thank you so much. I do ice but I should probably ice more. I will start slowly and build up for longer walks (I can’t even walk around my neighborhood without pain). I alstroemerias stretch but I probably need to do more of that as well. I’m just so frustrated because I was doing so well!

Hi!
I just wanted to update everyone. I went to a different doctor who’s practice doesn’t take my insurance for a 3rd opinion. He was great. He told me no one knows much about the tendon condition in upstate NY. He is the only surgeon for miles around who does the revision. After looking at my chart and asking me questions he said it was the tendon causing me all the pain in my groin. Apparently the revision is super easy, done in a same day surgery location without general anesthesia! He said I would be partial weight bearing for about 6 weeks and then get PT. I was told that the situation doesn’t happen often so they used to tell the patients they had to live with it. Medicine progressed and now they do go in and relieve the tendon from hitting the area in my groin. I’m scheduled for the revision on 10/27 as I don’t want to spend the summer recuperating. All I have to do is get the insurance company to cover the surgery and I think I have a good cause. Sending light and hope to everyone❤️

Hi, Everyone

I wanted to update everyone. I’m going for the tendon surgery on Tuesday and I just can’t wait. Being a bit more active really was a downfall for me. I guess my OS didn’t think I would really push myself past the pain. I’ve ended up with an inflamed bursa sack on my right side and pain near my gluts. My pain management doc gave me cortisone shots in both areas that helped but I still feel the pain. Then the groin in my left hip started sending shooting pain to the point where the leg would collapse and I couldn’t walk. It was excruciating! The pain management doc took an X-Ray and my left hip has no arthritis and open margins so thankfully the hip doesn’t need to be replaced as I feared. He saw a slight protrusion which was causing the pain. He told me the slight protrusion was acquired (not born with) and probably due to the fact that I was overcompensating with my left hip for a year. I’m so miserable and in pain all the time. I’m hoping the sur on Tuesday fixes the tendon issue and the recuperation helps the other issues. I do absolutely nothing all day because everything causes me severe pain. I’m told I will be sent home the same day with a brace covering my entire leg with “partial weight bearing”. I’m not sure what that means or how long it will take for me to put more weight on my leg. What I do know is I won’t be pushing myself and will do exactly what I’m told to do and be extra careful. I would appreciate anyone who has had this procedure (Tenotomy - hip flexor) to chime in with their stories and suggestions. I still can’t sleep on my right side and wake up often in pain and after nearly a year I’m just fed up and exhausted! Ty all❤️

I so understand your frustration, especially when you are coming up on your first year anniversary. Every doctor has his particular preferences on how they do the tenotomy: partial vs complete, type of anesthesia, etc. and how they want their patients to recover. I had a complete tenotomy at the lesser trochanter so after surgery, I was full weight bearing and had no restrictions except to not bathe or swim for a couple of weeks. It was under general anesthesia via arthroscopy, lasted less than half an hour and I went home a couple of hours later. So, a little different than what it sounds like you are having (a partial which lengthens the tendon by cutting some of the fibers, I assume?) I’ll tag my colleague @SaraK who had a partial tenotomy to visit you again to see if she has anything to add.

Bottom line for me was, it worked. I know I was sore for a couple of weeks and it did take me a few months to get to full strength again. I have a little residual decreased ROM but again, nothing that interferes with anything significant. And I can sleep on that side! I’m happy that you’re just a few days away from this solution and keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for a successful surgery and outcome for you. Let us know how things are going.

Ty so much fir your quick response. Your procedure didn’t sound as though would be able to bear weight Right away!

My surgeon did a partial release at the groin via arthroscopy. He preferred general anesthesia because he wanted to paralyze the area. He said the surgery required to "distract" the joint (read pulling it apart a bit but not locating it). He didn't require a brace or limited weightbearing like he would with other hip arthroscopic because the amount and duration of the distraction wasn't as great. Different surgeons use different protocols, though, so please do as your surgeon indicates. There may be very valid reasons for the different precautions.

I was a bit sore for a couple of weeks but felt so much better within a week or so when the swelling went down. I only used meds for a day or 2. I had no restrictions. I even went out dancing that night (with the cane) with my surgeon's blessing.

Being able to sleep without waking with stabbing pain from movement was absolutely delicious! If I remember right, I felt better within about a week than I had before the surgery. PT was a bit more difficult than after hip replacement but not too tough. Had to deal with a lot of atrophy and deal with bad habits from accommodating things for so long (my surgery was about 13 months after THR). You also have to retrain the brain. Your brain gives the message to lift the leg and your leg thinks it did but not as much as expected because it has to deal with the longer muscle - it literally has to take up the slack before it moves.

@Denpucc1 Good luck to you tuesday! Yes, this board is a godsend. Alas I am a NY upstater as well after having lived in NYC for decades. And also have had Anterior hip done in Feb 2022 in upstate NY practice.I have generally been in excellent shape for 69 years. Some of the docs at HSS do still take patients with Medicare but do not par with them (mean ing one needs to do some upfront payment-but not large payments) while others have completely opted out. With that said, I am still looking into an option there. While I dont have very very severe pain, I know I have to be properly diagnosed and this is not going to happen where I am going now. Virtually all of my "advice" comes from the medical secretary and my wonderful DPT. DPT suggests tendonitis as well that is simply not going away. Any hints regarding places upstate/lower hudson/ east west, manhattan, whatever would be welcome . i also have an appt with sports Medicine guy at same practice but he books every ten minutes, so I have to wonder if I am going to get anywhere. Again, best to you.

Denpucc,
all my best on Tuesday, hopefully this is the answer for you.

spaniel,
You are still in pain from your 2/2022 surgery???

Spaniel, I live near Albany. Dr Das from the Bone and Joint Center is the only one in the Capital Region who does this procedure. No other OS up here does the procedure. We have 2 practices, OrthoNY and Bone and Joint Center. OrthoNY OS’ haven’t even heard of the condition and we’re telling me to just live with it. I hope this info helps u!

Myglasshalffull, I’m still in pain from the TRHR I had in October 2021. The procedure I has in 2/22 was to inject the tendon with pain killers and cortisone as a diagnostic for the tendon. The procedure was done in the office and I had no pain. If immediate pain is relieved that means the tendon is the issue. I got immediate relief but had to fight with my insurance since only the surgeon who was called in on an emergency basis took my insurance. His practice did not. Since I’m having issues after the 3 month post op visit, my insurance made me go thru all kinds of hoops and pay money to see 3 different surgeons in the practice that does take my insurance. After spending a lot of money for more X-Rays and office visits, no surgeon in my practice even knew this problem existed. I fought for months and months and finally got the procedure to be paid as in network. I wish they could have decided sooner as I’m in so much pain.

I live a bit south of you and was not happy with the local orthopods. I was referred to Somers Orthopedic -- they have several offices, the largest of which are in Danbury, Connecticut and Putnam, New York. Dr. Douglas Fauser did both of my hips and I am very pleased with the practice. I have no idea whether or not they can handle your particular issues, but it might be worth a call. It's still easier than New York and there are hotels nearby if you need to stay over.

Thank but I already found a good surgeon in the Capital Region. He has patients from all over upstate NY including Putnam and Dutchess counties. I’ll be at a surgical center in Albany that’s about 25 minutes away so it’s not that bad. I hope u have recovered well from both ur hip surgeries!

Terrific! I'm really happy for you. I worked in Albany for many years and still see a number of docs up there. I've recovered perfectly from the first, and it's still early days for the second but fingers crossed!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom