THR Greyhair78 Recovery Journey

Greyhair78

Country
United States United States
Hi Layla, I am 7 days post left hip replacement. Had the anterior approach. Have done well for 78 yrs old. I have a little help,as my husband is here. Don't have too much pain now, just bruised leg with some swelling. Had PT come for 2 days, doing ok. I was taking pain meds until last night just to get 4 to 5 hrs. Sleep, stopped meds as i was so drowsy, lethargic with upset stomach the next day. Trying to sleep on my back just isn't working, can't nod off ..my recliner offers little relief, as it is just nothing fancy, just kinda uncomfortable. Any ideas at all?...so tired

Jockette

Staff member since March 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@Greyhair78 Hi and Welcome!

Please give us your surgery date and we‘ll make a signature for you. :flwrysmile:

Many of us have trouble sleeping after joint replacement surgery. Here is an article from our Recovery Guidelines:

Jockette

BoneSmart Staff
Country
I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. Here is a week-by-week guide
Activity progression for THRs

6. Access to these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Closure

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Jockette

BoneSmart Staff
Country
I was always a side sleeper, until I couldn‘t lay on my side after my partial knee replacement. I did adjust to sleeping on my back, if my legs were elevated. Also, I prop up one side of my pillow, so my head stays relatively straight, as I also have neck issues. This has worked very well for me and I still sleep like this, 5 years later.

Layla

Staff member since November 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hi there Greyhair!
I’m glad you joined us. I’m going to create your signature with a date of June 3rd. If it’s off, please let us know and we’ll edit accordingly.

It seems you’re doing really well. We have many in your age range that do just fine. My mom had her second THR at 80 or 81, forgot which. She seemed to breeze through her recovery. We have a sweet member @wander03 who is your age on here right now. She had her first THR a few months back and is waiting on her second to take place on June 27th. I’ll leave a link to her thread if you’re interested -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/and-now-the-healing-begins.69558/
Another member who is also your age is skigirl. She is also waiting on her second which will occur the same day as wander03’s. Here is her thread if interested -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/kelly’s-left-hip.67489/

Back sleeping can be so uncomfortable! My often repeated advice here on the forum is pillows. A pillow here, a pillow there, a pillow everywhere. To me, there is something comforting about pillows to rest other limbs on. I also took comfort in squishing a soft pillow in between my non op leg and the recliner which sounds crazy, but it made me feel swaddled, which was comforting at the time.

I hope you’ll continue to update us with your progress. I think you’ll like the support you receive here from those that have “been there, done that”.
A great rest of the day to you! :)

OP
OP
G

Greyhair78

Country
I was always a side sleeper, until I couldn‘t lay on my side after my partial knee replacement. I did adjust to sleeping on my back, if my legs were elevated. Also, I prop up one side of my pillow, so my head stays relatively straight, as I also have neck issues. This has worked very well for me and I still sleep like this, 5 years later.

wander03

Country
@Greyhair78 It has been ten days since your last post, so I hope you have been able to sleep. I know how important sleep can be in our healing.

I had my right THR on March 23, also anterior. From my experience, I think you have been through the most difficult time. At least, I had been after a couple of weeks. I do remember whining about pain the latter part of the first week, but that is now a dim memory. I have had absolutely no problems with my right hip replacement since after the first week and am looking forward to having my left hip replaced one week from today. I am waiting for a call from Dr. Bradshaw’s nurse so that I can ask her to schedule my surgery as the first one of the day as was done for my right hip, and I am going to ask for the same room if that is possible. Everything went so well last time that maybe recreating the scenario will be yield the same result this time. :)

OP
OP
G

Greyhair78

Country
Doing pretty good for 3 weeks post THR. Am occasionally walking with the cane. Still can't sleep good at all on back. That is zapping my overall energy during the day.. hip is coming right along.

wander03

Country
@Greyhair78 I both like and am sad about your post, so I guess I can't use an emoticon. I'm glad that your hip is coming right along, but sad that you can't sleep on your back. I'm sure that the suggestion by @Layla will be helpful. She seems to always have good advice. I hope it works for you as it does for her.

Elf1

Staff member since October 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@Greyhair78 happy to hear your hip is coming along nicely. Unfortunately most of us have trouble getting used to sleeping on our backs so miss out on a lot of sleep. Nap whenever the mood strikes to make up for any missed sleep at night. And lots of pillows wherever they feel good definitely helps. I had a wedge pillow for my head and shoulders that helped alleviate some of my back pain from laying on my back. Sometimes I used a small travel type pillow under my knees to help as well.

Boofit

Country
Hong Kong Hong Kong
@Greyhair78 I also had a left THR on 2 June. Like you, I found sleeping on my back difficult (despite having trained myself for it pre-op) and what helped was what @Layla said in post #11 above - swaddling myself with pillows of varying shapes and sizes. I bought some of those pregnancy side sleeper pillows with two puffy wedge cushions tethered together by velcro - I used the wedge cushions separately though to support my pelvis and thighs and back, and they worked wonders.

I have just begun sleeping on my non-operated side with pillows between my legs, and my sleep quality has improved. Maybe you can ask your OS about sleeping on your side?

Layla

Staff member since November 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing at two months post op? We'd love to hear.
Please let us know as time allows and all the best until we hear from you again.
@Greyhair78

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
avariciou5
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom