Bilateral THR Gretel post op<

@Gretel! So glad to hear you are better than before hip surgery! That is the goal but sometimes quite elusive
For post op hips. Many people I know IRL who have had THR are shocked at how long it really takes to get back to
80-90%. I need to start sharing this BS with them!

Hi Gretel,
I was having some butt pain especially after sitting and both OS and PT said it was my back which apparently can cause trouble in butt (piriformis and sciatica nerve). I started in on exercises for the piriformis and butt muscles. My pain in butt is now gone most of the time (after only two weeks!) and also the pain down right outer calf which PT told me can be sciatica. The good news is that there are exercises. Maybe you can find some that will work for you. I hope so.

Oh, Gretel, another thing. I also have a fear of spine surgery. I told my OS I didn't want to have back surgery and he said that he didn't want that either. However....a friend of my had spine surgery a week later than I had the hip done. I don't know how extensive hers was but she's been doing a lot better than me. So maybe..... Good wishes for you, dear.

Thanks @marita. The pain I get on standing or walking for long is in my upper thigh and or groin. It feels muscular. It feels very different to my pre op pain. Glad your friends spinal surgery went well. It just sounds very scary doesn’t it?!

Hey Gretel. How's my bilateral pal?
I have wondered how things were and hoping all is well with you.
I'm still having some off and on SI/lower back pain..but with what I end up doing during the day don't really know what cause is. Some days more noticeable than others.
Could pursue chiropractor...?
Do I need some targeted PT?
Just don't want to deal with it right now unless it's causing issues with Hip, you know.
Guess I'll ask OS at Year appointment May 1st...unbelievable. One Year!
I DO try to remind myself I am 95 percent better than I was a year ago!:happydance:
I hope you are doing well!:ok:

Hi @Mojo333 I’m having trouble with my back too. I’ve been back doing aquarobics and I overdid it Monday. My hips were fine with it but not my back. Silly silly. I’m still getting pain with walking but I’m walking further all the time. Nearly 6 months! I’m so glad I had it done and I’m slowly improving with the walking.
I’m a bit scared to try a chiropractor though many people swear by them. I’ve seen physios a lot over the years for my back and they do help a bit. I have exercises from them I should be doing more..... Sorry your back is causing trouble. The one thing I have found the most useful is to not bend unless I have to. I use my grabber a lot! I went shopping yesterday and bent slightly for something on a lower shelf and felt my back go. I gasped as I got myself back together then took things very slowly! Thinking of you xx

Hi @Gretel
I'm sorry you have back problems to add to your recovery.
It's nice to hear you expressing no regrets at almost 6 months out :happydance:
Now....to get your back behaving....Hope you find relief soon.
A great weekend to you!

Thanks @Layla. my Facebook memory from a year ago popped up this morning and it said “my back is bad. Is it bad I’m getting used to hubby doing the housework”? I think it’s just something I need to live with. I worked out what I did to upset it at aquarobics on Monday so I won’t make that mistake again! We’re off to the river for fish and chips with the family for lunch today. It’s going to be a hot day. Hope you have a wonderful Easter :hi:

@Gretel I’m no medical person but thought I’d tell you about a book a GP recommended to my husband a few years back. It is called How to Treat Your Own Back by Robin McKenzie. I see it is a best seller still on Amazon. I think there have been several newer editions put out since we got ours. Just a thought. It sounds like your hips are doing great. I’m so glad to hear that! Happy Easter!

Yeah for fish and chips and the river and for having a good weekend.
:loveshwr:double hippy compadre
Happy Easter!:friends:

Thanks @Mojo333. The river excursion got a bit interesting. Not too far from the destination my daughters car broke down at a very busy intersection. Luckily we weren’t too far away so I grabbed her toddler out of the car and started walking and ringing rellies with a child seat in their car to come and get us. Call number four resulted in a pick up for us. Otherwise we were walking in the heat and I wasn’t sure how far either of us could walk! No shade about. Hubby stayed with her till help came. The car was towed. Next morning she couldn’t find her wallet! Much hunting and stressing and it turned up in her letter box. Some lovely person must have picked it up and put it in. Everything still inside. There are good people in the world :loveshwr:

There are! But amazing that's who found her wallet. Enough bad ones out there too.
Aah, best laid plans...
Hope you didn't wear yourself out with all that carrying.
Hope today was a good day.

I know I'm getting old when uneventful feels like a good thing.
We will attempt Easter afternoon at my sisters. In attendance will be: dad and stepmother, mother, half sister and her brood, niece and her brood...my two 20-something's and their boyfriend/girlfriend, a big dysfunctional family cluster!
Oh my stars....!
Hope everyone behaves!:praying:

Imagine what you will be doing in another six month's time. Hopefully your back and my wrist will behave and we can go out and conquer the world!

Oh my "both at once?" Bilateral Buddy.
Yay for you...half of year and restorative sleep...very very glad for you.
Happy Hipversary!
:loveshwr::yes!::loveshwr:

Last edited:
Happy Six Month Anniversary! @Gretel

You should be bowing for the sleeping all night :curtsey: Yep.....Awesome progress!
I'm with EmEm in imagining what the next six months will bring.
Yahoo.....bring it on :happydance: :spin: :dancy: Cheers :beer:

:hi: hoping you are continuing to get better and better My Bilateral Buddy.
I will have my one year hipversary soon and can't wait to see xrays for piece of mind.
Have a great week.:tada:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks