THR Greg555's Recovery Thread

Hi @Greg555
I am glad you feel you are improving but please do try to listen to your body carefully.
Often the effects of overdoing it doesn't surface until after the fact...in my case, it really was more comfortable while moving, and then the tightness and inflammation appeared much later.
What I’ve read is that inflammation is in part due to the body’s response to having a foreign object inside. It takes time for the body to accept it. Of course there’s also the disrupted tissue as the main cause of inflammation
I think the latter part of this statement is much more likely. They stretch and pull lots of stuff out of the way to get that prosthesis in there and it is injured and healing.

I’ve set two rules for my recovery. If it hurts I don’t do it or adjust the intensity. If I get tired I stop
Splendid, but as I said...the start up pain and tightness CAN be delayed complaints so keep all slow and steady.

The more sleep I get, the more improvement I experience
Sleep is a great time for the body to use it's energy for healing ..plus you arent able to cycle and go the gym:heehee:

Still early days and don't want to see you develop tendonitis or any other issues that can take months to resolve.
You know your body best, so forgive me if I'm a worry wart.
Hope today is a good day.

Hi @Greg555
I am glad you feel you are improving but please do try to listen to your body carefully.
Often the effects of overdoing it doesn't surface until after the fact...in my case, it really was more comfortable while moving, and then the tightness and inflammation appeared much later.
What I’ve read is that inflammation is in part due to the body’s response to having a foreign object inside. It takes time for the body to accept it. Of course there’s also the disrupted tissue as the main cause of inflammation
I think the latter part of this statement is much more likely. They stretch and pull lots of stuff out of the way to get that prosthesis in there and it is injured and healing.

I’ve set two rules for my recovery. If it hurts I don’t do it or adjust the intensity. If I get tired I stop
Splendid, but as I said...the start up pain and tightness CAN be delayed complaints so keep all slow and steady.

The more sleep I get, the more improvement I experience
Sleep is a great time for the body to use it's energy for healing ..plus you arent able to cycle and go the gym:heehee:

Still early days and don't want to see you develop tendonitis or any other issues that can take months to resolve.
You know your body best, so forgive me if I'm a worry wart.
Hope today is a good day.
Today was a very good day. The start up pain that I’ve been experiencing was virtually non-existent today. Still soreness in the glutes. My surgeon indicated that I could be experiencing various aches on my non-op side. He was right. Thigh and knee pain has begun. Just what he predicted. I guess when a surgeon has done over 3000 hip replacement, he’s seen it all. More of the unfolding adventure.

Just finished my 8th week with a 4 hour road trip over the weekend to visit family. It was really nice being able to climb out of a vehicle after 4 hours and not be in pain. I was comfortable the entire trip. Recovery from start up pain has slowed. It’s getting better, but very gradually. I’ve had some lower back pain and glute pain develop, but it doesn’t have me worried. I attribute that to just walking better and recruiting the proper muscles. Gentle stretching is very helpful. Anything other than gentle stretches aggravates the soft tissue at the hip/thigh crease. Stationary biking and side leg lefts have been the mainstay for rebuilding strength. I do think it’s going to be 12 weeks total before start up pain resolves. I have been doing banded hip capsule stretches on the non-op hip to keep that side loose as it has been getting tight. Overall I’m pleased with the progress so far even though it’s hit a plateau. My family said I’m walking better. No longer crouched forward. They thought the difference was dramatic. That was nice to hear.

It is the everyday things like getting in and out of the car without pain that can make us feel so grateful. It is wonderful that your new walking ability was noticed. A visit with family and a pain free ride all thanks to your new hip. Awesome. Have a great day. Progress does continue which is also a wonderful thing.

Hi there,
It is nice to hear others notice that you’re walking straighter, taller, stronger. You seem to be doing well. Just wondering whether back and glute pain started before or after the car ride? If it began before, could the road trip have aggravated it? Only asking because car rides longer than 30-40 minutes made me super uncomfortable in those early months. Whatever the cause, I hope it eases for you soon.
Have a great week!
@Greg555

Almost done with week 8. This has been a week of amazing progress. I started a yoga routine addressing psoas release and stretch. Also started a week long regime of 1600mg of Ibuprofen daily. The start up pain is completely gone. As is the lower back pain. I think the psoas became very tight from all the time I spent in the recliner following surgery. I can’t tell the difference between either leg at this point other than the op side now has greater mobility. Strength in the op side is still weak. Seated body weight squats have helped, but it’s going to need a lot of work. More than what I imagined. I won’t do any weighted squats until I get to the 6 month mark. So there you go. Some very good news. I do plan on a 2 mile hike through some semi rugged areas today. It’s my favorite hiking trial. One that I haven’t been on in over three years because of OS.

Happy Two Month Anniversary! What a nice update, thank you for sharing. I hope you enjoyed your hike yesterday and aren’t suffering any ill effects today. Don’t forget about ice if you’re feeling a bit rough. Happy Sunday and best wishes for a great week!
@Greg555

Finishing week 10. Progress continues. I’m starting to get some muscle definition back on the op thigh and calf. That’s without doing any weight lifting for legs. All walking, basic THR exercises,. and body weight squats. The only exersize I avoid is the banded clam shell. I won’t be ready for that until some additional healing occurs. I still have the start up pain but it’s much less. I’ve developed back pain on the lower op side. I think it’s from compensation for the start up pain. Mobility and flexibility has improved. Inflammation continues intermittently. I’ve read that I can expect that through month 6 or longer. I’m planning to see my PT at week 12 for some strength building exercises. My deductible has been met through January so I’ll pay her a post op visit. Other than an occasional weird pain in the upper groin, that’s about it. As for walking, I could walk 10 miles and only have sore feet.

Finishing up week 11. Not much new to report. Hip is a little achy in the mornings but otherwise virtually pain free. My op foot has gone from pointing straight, back to it’s pre op position. Some return of feeling to the op site. It’s still the 6”x7” numb spot, but there a sensation when I press on the area. The nerves seem to be waking up from the inside. Tried some assisted lunges this week. That ain’t happening for awhile yet. Lol. The leg is getting stronger and there’s muscle definition returning, but it’s still very weak. I am suffering from a bout it diverticulitis and IBS. First time in over 5 years. I have no doubt it’s from the ibuprofen I took during the post op period. I’m taking an antibiotic to help get rid of the infection. A side effect of the antibiotic is IBS. Hard to tell what’s worse, the disease or the cure.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
With any luck your bout with diverticulitis and IBS has eased. Sorry you have to deal with that. Wishing you comfort / relief if you’re still struggling. Let us know how you’re doing as time allows.
@Greg555

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
With any luck your bout with diverticulitis and IBS has eased. Sorry you have to deal with that. Wishing you comfort / relief if you’re still struggling. Let us know how you’re doing as time allows.
@Greg555
Things have settled back to normal. The diverticulitis has resolved itself. I went back to the elimination of poultry and red meat. A diet change with the addition of probiotics works wonders. The hip is doing well. I’m still aware of the overall weakness of the left leg. It’s just going to take time. I work legs at the gym twice weekly. I do mobility daily. I found a comfortable pace. Although progress has been good, I think it’s going to take a good year to be close to where I was at three years ago or pre-OS. But that’s ok.

:wave:Great news that you’re feeling better. I just realized your signature does not show which hip was replaced, but I’m gathering from the post above it was your left and will edit your signature to reflect that. Please let us know if it’s incorrect.
Happy Sunday...I hope it’s a good one! :SUNsmile:
@Greg555

Over the weekend I got caught in a cold rainstorm. Reflex action was to run from the car into the building. Didn’t even think about the hip. I ran fast, still got wet, and the hip survived. 14 weeks today.

15 week post op check in. Hip continues to improve. Strength is coming back fast. Last night at the gym I rode the elliptical for a 10 minute warm up and kettlebells for 30 minutes. A slight amount of rear thigh discomfort toward the end of the workout. That’s typically the sign that I start my cool down and stretching. I never thought that I’d get back to pre OS functioning, but I have.

Happy to hear you are back to pre surgery functioning. It does feel good to be able to do things again. Also, very smart to keep listening to your body and know when to slow down and stop. It keeps getting better as you go on. Enjoy your new/old abilities.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back