THR Greg555's Recovery Thread

Week 5 was yesterday. I continue to chase inflammation. I’m experiencing a fair amount of swelling that is resolved with ice and ibuprofen. The basic exercises given to me at the clinic can be completed pain free most of the time. The inflammation returns within an hour following an icing. The issue remains the the stabbing pain and collapse of the top of the leg inward when I rise from a seated to a standing position. Following a good icing the pain is gone or greatly reduced and the hip is stable. This leads me to believe it’s inflammation and me compensating for the pain. I do have my 6 week follow up with the surgeon on Friday. He’ll do xrays and an exam. I need to find a balance between doing too much and doing too little. I’m not very good at judging that.

Will be looking forward to good news after your 6 - week follow-up.

I too have bouts of swelling. Yesterday, it was particularly swollen (spent all day in office chair), and last night I did "legs on wall" and more icing. Thus far today, swelling is almost not noticeable. While there is a correlation if I sit too long, it also seems like some days are just better than others as it relates to swelling.

I hope the issue from seating to standing is explained by your surgeon.

Will be looking forward to good news after your 6 - week follow-up.

I too have bouts of swelling. Yesterday, it was particularly swollen (spent all day in office chair), and last night I did "legs on wall" and more icing. Thus far today, swelling is almost not noticeable. While there is a correlation if I sit too long, it also seems like some days are just better than others as it relates to swelling.

I hope the issue from seating to standing is explained by your surgeon.
My surgeon is very good about answering questions. He doesn’t say much unless I talk and ask. Great at giving information though. Just this afternoon I noticed that a simple hamstring stretch completely relieves the pinching sensation. Perhaps it’s tightness and inflammation combined. I’ll know more on Friday.

@Greg555 we all have that problem finding balance, and we all get it balanced eventually! It's tough if what's perfect this week is too much next week and not enough the week after that! Very frustrating. It all shakes out soon enough.

I need to find a balance between doing too much and doing too little. I’m not very good at judging that.
Another chance to learn a new skill. This one like patience is a difficult one to learn and practice. When feeling good you just keep going because you can and it is such a treat. Just try to monitor yourself better and maybe keep a log and scale back for a while and then advance your activities more gradually.
I hope you get even more answers on Fri. at your appointment. Have a good night.

Yes, despite our insistence on "working" our way to a quicker recovery...Unfortunately it takes the time it takes.:bored:
Considering what they actually have to do, it is quite amazing our bodies are able to repair and bounce back as quickly as it does...I think.:unsure:

I just had to remind myself often -
Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed.
You're tight because your tissue is healing... If a long full step right now is causing pain and limping, don't take long full steps. Take smaller steps. Take a short walk several times a day, instead of longer walks. Use your cane. Use ice. Rest a lot.

This isn't the time to do anything to excess. Baby steps now, and lots of patience, pays off big time later. Recovering from self-induced tendinitis can end up taking weeks or months.
Consider yourself as still recovering from surgery and structure your return to your life as a slow, gradual process where you introduce very small increments in activity, and then give yourself time to see how you react to it.
All temporary, and worth the patience.
I am certainly glad I am able to get back to a full happy life.
:happydance:

Completed my second check up with the surgeon. Told him about the pain I have when going from a sitting position to walking. He wasn’t concerned. Called it start up pain. He said it’s the most common type of pain and it’ll pass during the coming weeks. My incision looks good. Swelling is all normal. He said to follow up with him in one year unless concerns develop.

Wonderful report and you have been set free for a whole year :yes!:. Now comes the part about continuing the slow and steady recovery and not getting carried away. Keep listening to your hip and your body.

Awesome report from the OS visit and being told not to come back for a year, woohoo! Now is definitely the time where we all start feeling like we can do more and have a really good chance of overdoing. I know it gets monotonous but you just have to take your time and let your body heal.

Wonderful report and you have been set free for a whole year :yes!:. Now comes the part about continuing the slow and steady recovery and not getting carried away. Keep listening to your hip and your body.
Awesome report from the OS visit and being told not to come back for a year, woohoo! Now is definitely the time where we all start feeling like we can do more and have a really good chance of overdoing. I know it gets monotonous but you just have to take your time and let your body heal.
Last Friday I returned to my old gym. The covid restrictions have sure changed the atmosphere. Anywho....it was good to be back throwing around weights for the upper body. All I’m doing now for lower body is body weight squats and some banded clamshells along with the basic hip replacement exercises. I’ve been using lightweight bands for the clamshell. Basically getting the motor control patterns of my leg muscles to work again. That has to come first. Lots of concentration. Stretching has been so important. Hamstrings, calves, and quads. Feet too. It’s an amazing journey. I’m so looking forward to continuing the rebuilding. For now I’m not comfortable actually riding a bike. The strength and muscle control isn’t there. The stationary bike set to very low or no tension has been something I do and feel good. I’ve been getting in 2-3 mile walks split in twos or threes.

Last Friday I returned to my old gym.
Anywho....it was good to be back throwing around weights for the upper body. All I’m doing now for lower body is body weight squats and some banded clamshells along with the basic hip replacement exercises. . The stationary bike set to very low or no tension has been something I do and feel good. I’ve been getting in 2-3 mile walks split in twos or threes.

Wow....you are up to 2 - 3 miles!:walking: You have given me a new goal!

Our gyms aren't open yet, and I can't wait to have access to free weight again! I must admit, I don't like squats of any type, but they are so good for you!

What a great update, surgery day pal! :wow:

Today is my 6th week anniversary. With the final surgeon’s visit behind me, I’m off to the races. The start up pain continues. Over the weekend I found a few stretches that help. The main stretch is a hip flexor stretch I learned a few years ago while recovering from an injury. The muscles are definitely banjo tight. I’ve also been doing some adductor activation and strengthening exercises along with hip rocking while on all fours. I guess it’s called the frog. A combination of these has decreased start up pain by 50-70%. I reflected back on some things my surgeon said about that the enormity of this surgery. He explained the layers of tissue that he has to go through to get to the femur. He also told me to not be surprised if my good leg/side begins to give me trouble as the body sorts itself out. He predicted some possible back pain and knee pain. He wasn’t pushy about PT, but he did feel that stretching is important.

Last Friday I returned to my old gym.
Anywho....it was good to be back throwing around weights for the upper body. All I’m doing now for lower body is body weight squats and some banded clamshells along with the basic hip replacement exercises. . The stationary bike set to very low or no tension has been something I do and feel good. I’ve been getting in 2-3 mile walks split in twos or threes.

Wow....you are up to 2 - 3 miles!:walking: You have given me a new goal!

Our gyms aren't open yet, and I can't wait to have access to free weight again! I must admit, I don't like squats of any type, but they are so good for you!

What a great update, surgery day pal! :wow:
I break up my walks into .75 mile segments. It keeps the inflammation and soreness to a minimum. I’m grateful that my employer gives me some time in the mid morning and mid afternoon to do this. Box squats are coming along. The op side is very very weak.. I think it’s going to be Christmas before the two sides equal out. Another goal.

Happy 6 Week Anniversary! And congrats on having your final surgeon visit done. My OS basically just released me at my recent visit which was one year.

Awesome that your employer is giving you time to do some walking, would be great if everyone had such a good boss.

7th week anniversary today. The start up pain continues. I’d have to say that overall it’s 30% less some days and other days about the same. I’ve been at the gym everyday doing something. I’ve been riding a real bicycle with zero pain. Overall the leg remains very weak. The glutes, abductors, and especially the adductors are badly compromised. Once I’m warmed up walking is a non issue. I basically forget that I even have a titanium hip. Inflammation continues to rear it’s head. I’ve been waking up sleeping on the op side. Doesn’t seem to bother me. Still doing lots and lots of stretching. I’m still thinking it’ll be late fall early winter before the op side gets up to normal strength levels. Maybe a little bit longer?

..... Unpopular Opinion Trigger Warning....:whistle:
Maybe you are doing just a weeeeee bit too much for only 7 weeks?
Unwittingly rolling to the op side in your sleep is GREAT!

Hi Greg,
Happy seven week anniversary!
You‘re fairly active for only seven weeks post op. Looking over your recent posts I noticed you’re doing clamshells with resistance bands. Clamshells are good for building core stability and strengthening the lower back, but they can do more harm than good while in early recovery - especially doing them with resistance bands. It’s your body, your recovery, but with a return to work at only three weeks post op and rather aggressive PT, I’m wondering if you’d notice a reduction in pain and swelling if you stepped away from PT for a time. Something to ponder. Complete recovery can take a full year, even up to two years for some. So by Christmas, you’ll only be half way there. I hope with some rest and dedicated icing you notice an improvement with the discomfort and inflammation you’ve mentioned.

A great week to you. :wave:
@Greg555

Hi Greg,
Happy seven week anniversary!
You‘re fairly active for only seven weeks post op. Looking over your recent posts I noticed you’re doing clamshells with resistance bands. Clamshells are good for building core stability and strengthening the lower back, but they can do more harm than good while in early recovery - especially doing them with resistance bands. It’s your body, your recovery, but with a return to work at only three weeks post op and rather aggressive PT, I’m wondering if you’d notice a reduction in pain and swelling if you stepped away from PT for a time. Something to ponder. Complete recovery can take a full year, even up to two years for some. So by Christmas, you’ll only be half way there. I hope with some rest and dedicated icing you notice an improvement with the discomfort and inflammation you’ve mentioned.

A great week to you. :wave:
@Greg555
I don’t think that the occasional pain and inflammation I’m experiencing is abnormal at 7 weeks. What I’ve read is that inflammation is in part due to the body’s response to having a foreign object inside. It takes time for the body to accept it. Of course there’s also the disrupted tissue as the main cause of inflammation. Other than the occasional start up pain, I’m pain free. And the start up pain has been improving. I’ve set two rules for my recovery. If it hurts I don’t do it or adjust the intensity. If I get tired I stop. Sleep has been 10-12 hours per day which I attribute to most of the healing. The more sleep I get, the more improvement I experience. My surgeon did encourage me to be as active as possible within reason. The worst pain that I feel now is 2-3. The pain I experienced before surgery was 6-8 and it was constant.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back