THR Greg555's Recovery Thread

I’m sitting at 12 days in. I’m still impatient, but improving. I was actually able to sit cross leg comfortable two nights ago. Haven’t been able to to do that in 3 years. I realized that I may be doing too much compensating and cheating myself out of some gains. I caught myself today trying to go down stairs all hunched. I straightened my posture and tightened my abs. It worked. I think over the years I’ve developed some compensatory muscle memory that I need to break. Tuesday is my post op exam. The staples come out and whatever else he’ll be doing. I’ve got lots of questions for him. There a possibility that I might go see my PT. Still too early to decide that through.

hey @Greg555 ! You sound well! I somehow read that as "conspiratory muscle memory" which cracked me up. But yes, that groin pain will cause all sorts of unbalanced muscles!

I got xrays and a nice chat with the PA at my 2-week visits. When I could swim (I have forgotten!!), when I could drive (off all narcotics,and for right hip can I do a safe panic stop, for left don't drive stick shift just yet), and plenty of time for questions.

Impatience never made the clock tick faster, so cool your jets, man! :heehee:

Greg - we had surgery the same day, and I am enjoying tracking your progress. btw - I also have a percussion massager (HyperVolt), and I have neglected to ask when/if it can be used on the operated leg. It is a great tool

My doctor recommends PT, as part of the recovery. I have had three home visits, and will start six weeks post op, next week. At this point I am balancing my doctor's recommendation for PT with this forum's guidance to let things heal. The way I am doing that is I won't push myself past what I feel comfortable.

I had my post op last week (with his PA-C), and he said one of his patients (handyman) felt so good at two weeks he went back to work, and a year later had a revision. A good reminder for those of us having an "easy" recovery that there is a downside.

hey @Greg555 ! You sound well! I somehow read that as "conspiratory muscle memory" which cracked me up. But yes, that groin pain will cause all sorts of unbalanced muscles!

I got xrays and a nice chat with the PA at my 2-week visits. When I could swim (I have forgotten!!), when I could drive (off all narcotics,and for right hip can I do a safe panic stop, for left don't drive stick shift just yet), and plenty of time for questions.

Impatience never made the clock tick faster, so cool your jets, man! :heehee:
I’ve been driving since the 5th day post op. I used tramadol for 4-5 days and started to itch. That’s another thing. I no longer need a dog leash to get my leg in the vehicle. Makes me smile to type that. The main issue now is inflammation of the tfl and hip flexors. 15 minutes of icing brings me amazing relief. It doesn’t last, but it does give me an understanding of how wonderful this is.

I was actually able to sit cross leg comfortable two nights ago.
Please don't do this for at least 6-8 weeks out. Better yet, don't do it at all. This is crossing the midline and at only days out of surgery there is a risk of dislocation.

Greg - we had surgery the same day, and I am enjoying tracking your progress. btw - I also have a percussion massager (HyperVolt), and I have neglected to ask when/if it can be used on the operated leg. It is a great tool

My doctor recommends PT, as part of the recovery. I have had three home visits, and will start six weeks post op, next week. At this point I am balancing my doctor's recommendation for PT with this forum's guidance to let things heal. The way I am doing that is I won't push myself past what I feel comfortable.

I had my post op last week (with his PA-C), and he said one of his patients (handyman) felt so good at two weeks he went back to work, and a year later had a revision. A good reminder for those of us having an "easy" recovery that there is a downside.
The hypervolt really did keep me moving. My piriformis would become so inflamed trying to compensate for the OS pain. The hypervolt would losses it up. I’ve only used it on the calf. I don’t want to risk anything by using it above the knee. I’m doing basic exercises to keep some tone and muscle activity. My issue is all inflammation at this point. I’m guessing the surgeon really cranked hard on the upper thigh muscles to access the hip joint. Glad you’re doing well.

I was actually able to sit cross leg comfortable two nights ago.
Please don't do this for at least 6-8 weeks out. Better yet, don't do it at all. This is crossing the midline and at only days out of surgery there is a risk of dislocation.
My surgeon gave me no restrictions on movements. I specifically asked him about this and other movements.

@Greg555 you cracked me up again! Dog leash!! I have a vague memory of using the head of the cane. Getting into bed, I hooked the op leg in with the good one-- look ma! No hands! Pre-op, I had to pull the bad trailing leg in with my hands carefully so as not to bump or twist it.

Just because we can, doesn't mean we should...I understand wanting to get back to life and perhaps curiosity to what you can do.. but alot of the problems or setbacks I see on this forum are from our healthiest, most active fitness folks who seem intent on being the first to push their new hips to the limits while they are still healing...
I don't mean to sound like a Debbie Downer, but we all want these to be our forever hips and babying them through this recovery time is a proven strategy ..in my opinion.
Strengthening and toning can come later.

Next week I’m going introduce some body weight squats with a bench.
:flabber:
This worries me.
I sure hope you reconsider this.:beg:

Just because we can, doesn't mean we should...I understand wanting to get back to life and perhaps curiosity to what you can do.. but alot of the problems or setbacks I see on this forum are from our healthiest, most active fitness folks who seem intent on being the first to push their new hips to the limits while they are still healing...
I don't mean to sound like a Debbie Downer, but we all want these to be our forever hips and babying them through this recovery time is a proven strategy ..in my opinion.
Strengthening and toning can come later.

Next week I’m going introduce some body weight squats with a bench.
:flabber:
This worries me.
I sure hope you reconsider this.:beg:
I have my post op exam tomorrow. I’ll certainly run these ideas past my surgeon. I guess I don’t see how unweighted body squats using a bench to prevent from going to deep (past 75 degrees) into the squat would be a hazard. Thank you for your concerns. You’re certainly not a downer.

This was a rough morning. Not totally, but rough in some ways. I’ve been sleeping in 4-5 hour stretches. That’s a dramatic improvement in sleep quality both before and after surgery. So that’s good. The tough part this morning was inflammation. I did fall back on the aspirin, Tylenol, and of course icing. I also may have been dehydrated. Additionally, I ate like **** yesterday. Lots of high fat, high carb and salty foods. Today I’m focusing on eating well, hydration, and gentle walking. As I sit here the pain has diminished greatly. I also walked for the first time without a cane. Wow!! that took and tremendous amount of concentration lol. It actually went quite well. I’m proud of myself. That’s it for today.

Hello Greg,
For only two weeks post op, you’re sleeping pretty well. Especially if you’re able to sneak in a nap during the day. Icing is great for pain and inflamation, as is elevation, so please consider elevating also, if you’re not already. Just as too little activity can cause swelling, so can overactivity. It’s a fine balance for sure.

Congrats on your maiden voyage with the cane. It can feel a bit daunting initially, I guess I should speak for myself. I remember thinking what if my leg collapses?!! Ugh, I did not want to end up in a hospital under any circumstances once I was resting comfortably and on the mend at home. Who would? :shrug: No one.

Have a great Monday! :)

Greg - just as a data point from my PT appointment on Friday. She had me do body weight "squats" sitting and standing up from a chair (e.g. versus a bench). The first one was very tough, but then I felt more strength. She was a bit more aggressive than the other PT I had earlier in the week, and at the end of the day, I am still leaning towards that balance of building strength while trying to take it slow and let everything heal.

My doctor wants me to stay with "gait assisted" devices (e.g. walker/cane) through three weeks. I have been walking unaided a few steps inside and outside (everything gets in the way) for almost a week. I know this is risky, and keep reminding myself to use a walker or my cane. I also ordered trekking poles, which I am hoping to use on my short walks. I am still icing a lot, and watching my swelling.

Good luck with your doctor, obviously they will have the best advice for you.

Completed the post op exam today. Sutures came out and the strips went on for a week or however long they last. The wound was a little red today, but they weren’t concerned. No sign of infection. The surgeon is releasing me to go back to work on Monday. I’m so looking forward to being back to the office. My company sent me a nice gift certificate for my favorite pizza place. Woohoo. My surgeon is a good guy. He took the time to answer a bunch of technical questions. Apparently I received a ceramic ball and polyethylene cup. The unit is press fit, non-cemented. He said that he rarely uses cement any longer. We had a nice discussion about longevity of the wear surfaces. He said at this point no one knows how long these new surfaces will last. He did estimate that 40+ years might be possible as the materials from 20 years ago are still holding up for many. I originally was referred to him by my PT for hip resurfacing. Apparently he stopped because he was no longer comfortable using the metal on metal of the cup and ball. I spent half my day without a cane. I have a meeting to attend later tonight and then my day will be over. So far so good.

Hi, Greg.
Glad you got great report and are feeling good about your recovery.
The surgeon is releasing me to go back to work on Monday. I’m so looking forward to back to the office

Hope you don't have a very taxing environment at work...I went back at 5 weeks half days and was exhausted just getting ready and getting there to do office work and supervisory duties.
Really not optimal, so prepare to go home and CRASH and ICE.:ice::ice::ice:

One more thing. I used to be an avid mountain and road biker before OS took it away because of no internal rotation. I’ve had a beautiful Kaiser stationary bike in the corner of the living room for two years. I’ve been unable to ride. He gave me clearance to start riding it whenever I feel comfortable. That is so fantastic.

Hi, Greg.
Glad you got great report and are feeling good about your recovery.
The surgeon is releasing me to go back to work on Monday. I’m so looking forward to back to the office

Hope you don't have a very taxing environment at work...I went back at 5 weeks half days and was exhausted just getting ready and getting there to do office work and supervisory duties.
Really not optimal, so prepare to go home and CRASH and ICE.:ice::ice::ice:
I work in behavioral health. It’s a rather relaxed office environment. With the covid 19 restrictions, most of the work I do now is telehealth. I think it should be fine. I live 6 blocks from the office so I’ll be able to go home and ice if need be.

I’ve had a beautiful Kaiser stationary bike in the corner of the living room for two years. I’ve been unable to ride. He gave me clearance to start riding it whenever I feel comfortable
Hate to do this to you, but I am praying you aren't comfortable for a bit longer!:unsure:
You have done great and no doubt your level of health and fitness has been part of a good recovery, but you still had your femur excised, a prosthesis that is uncemented and bone growth occuring...muscles and soft tissue traumatized, and lots of healing still happening that needs time.
(So saith the forum Cassandra)

@Greg555 people have brought ice to their offices and sat on it, sometimes for months.
I retired from my full time job pre-THR's, but as an orchestral musician you have to sit still with no fidgeting for usually up to 1 1/2 hours before break or intermission. I had a busy Christmas season after my first hip, and was driving 200 miles a day for events. That was 6-7 months post op, and I was miserable from the sitting. At least I could wiggle in the car, but not onstage. And I'd had what I'd considered to be a stellar recovery!
Your relaxed office environment will be to your advantage. And by the way, thank you for choosing your field and sticking with it!

@Greg555 people have brought ice to their offices and sat on it, sometimes for months.
I retired from my full time job pre-THR's, but as an orchestral musician you have to sit still with no fidgeting for usually up to 1 1/2 hours before break or intermission. I had a busy Christmas season after my first hip, and was driving 200 miles a day for events. That was 6-7 months post op, and I was miserable from the sitting. At least I could wiggle in the car, but not onstage. And I'd had what I'd considered to be a stellar recovery!
Your relaxed office environment will be to your advantage. And by the way, thank you for choosing your field and sticking with it!
I’ve never been a good sitter. Lol. This surgery has me sitting more than I can ever recall. You mentioned driving. I drove myself to my post op exam. It’s a 1 1/2 hr drive. When I got home I was literally exhausted. Slept for 3 hrs. Some of that came from having an emotional breakdown in his office describing the feeling of being arthritic free. I wasn’t expecting that at all. I am able to move around at will on my job. I actually think sitting might be easier than it was before my surgery. Today just brings more improvement. Getting out of bed this morning was easier than yesterday. My morning walk was all the way to the end of the block. Most was cane free, but really concentrating. I have noticed that my op leg is a little different. This foot/toes point more forward. Prior to the surgery my toes on that leg pointed slightly outward. It’s not dramatic, but noticeable. When I walk both feet match now.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts