TKR Greda's recovery story<<

Started 2019 extremely cold here. Last night the wind chill was -35 F. My knees do not like the weather this cold. It should start warming up tomorrow so hopefully my knees will be better tomorrow.

-35, oh my!!!:yikes: The coldest I’ve ever seen is -13, when I lived in Ohio. Thankfully I’m in Delaware now. However, my drama queen knee balks at anything in the 40’s. (yes, it’s pitiful!)

I found out last year that anything below 20 hurts my new knee.

So far my knees do okay as long as the temps stay above zero. I definitely am glad I have no where to go on those cold nights. Even staying inside my knees feel the pain from the cold. We are getting some warmer temps tomorrow will be 43. This winter our temps have been going up and down which is better than being cold all the time. I surprised myself and managed to go downstairs foot over foot for 4 steps yesterday. I heard no creaking or cracking and the terrible arthritis pain is gone. My husband was shocked it was the quietest he had ever heard me walking downstairs. My knee used to be so loud it was embarrassing. I am trying not to overdo but this was a great feeling.

I surprised myself and managed to go downstairs foot over foot for 4 steps yesterday. I heard no creaking or cracking and the terrible arthritis pain is gone. My husband was shocked it was the quietest he had ever heard me walking downstairs. My knee used to be so loud it was embarrassing. I am trying not to overdo but this was a great feeling.
That is a great report!! :happydance:

Back to wondering why I ever did this. It has been over 20 weeks since my surgery and this past week has been tough. Ice has been the only thing that really helps. I read about other people’s recovery and it is hard not to compare. I feel like I am just not getting better. My knee hurts and I keep thinking it is never going to get better. I think maybe I should do more or maybe less. Realistically I know in my head healing takes time and I need to be patient. However, I feel like this is never going to get better and I should have never had the surgery. Stress has not helped my mood. My husband is a gov worker, working 50-60 hours a week and we have no idea when he is going to get paid. Trying to figure out how to manage our finances has not been fun. I know too this is all temporary but that doesn’t help right now. I am just tired of pain. Thanks for listening.

I so sorry you’re feeling that pain and discouragement, as well as experiencing the job and economic uncertainties. <hug> Tough times.

I do know how you feel. I was not feeling great, physically or mentally at 20 weeks. I do remember that time period because a week before that I had a major set back. It was very discouraging. :console2:

So sorry you are being affected by the government shutdown at the same time you are having to experience a painful knee. I hope things get better for you soon!

Stress increases your pain. Please try and not worry. I know it's easier said than done. We are all here to listen. We care! :console2:

We were lucky that my husband is going to get some of his pay. Other employees were having issues getting to work because of no money for gas. My husband (he is the director of the facility) called the area director and asked if there were any funds available for them. Turns out there was money in the budget for a long term project that isn’t needed right now. They are going to use that money to pay everyone. It won’t be for back pay and will only last for a few pay periods but it is something. I am so relieved and hope the shutdown will be over before the money runs out.
My knee is still bothering me quite a bit. I had to go grocery shopping and that kind of put it over the edge. My husband came with me but he had a low sugar at checkout (he is a type 1 diabetic). I ended up having to help him and get the groceries in the car and get home. I had to carrry everything in and put it away. His blood sugar has been off due to stress. There wasn’t a choice but my knee is swollen and hurting. I am icing and elevating and trying to be patient.
The weather is not cooperating temps are dropping and tonight it will be 0. It is snowing now. My kitty has decided it is time for a nap. I think I will join him.

I’m so sorry your knee gets upset so often. :console2:

There wasn’t a choice but my knee is swollen and hurting. I am icing and elevating and trying to be patient.
We do what we have to do. Thank God your husband is OK and you were there to help him. Your knee will snap back with tlc.

@Greda I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that the stress abates. I know what it feels like to have worries about daily life gnawing at your mind all the time. :console2:

I have been so tired and sleeping all the time. I think the from all the stress from the shutdown affected me in ways I didn’t realize. I am relieved it is over and I can finally relax. I know it may be temporary but for now it is over.
My knee knows the cold weather is coming and is complaining about it. It is terribly windy here today wind gusts up to 50 mph and it is 11 F. It is only going to get worse the high Wed is -2F. I think I will be staying in by the fireplace.
I keep trying to be positive about progress with my knee. It still feels so tight. I still have problems picking my foot up high enough to step over stuff (stuff includes cats that won’t move). I have been cooking more and doing more cleaning (not enough cleaning and is driving me crazy). Today I have to do laundry or we won’t have anything clean to wear. I have been better about asking for help. My husband carried the dirty laundry downstairs to the washer. He said he would carry the basket back upstairs when he gets home.

:console2::console2:
I’m sure all that extremely cold weather is not helping. You’ve also had a bunch of procedures on your knees and I think it might mean it will take a while for things to heal. Try to remember, you’re still early in recovery, and where you are now is not where you will end up.

I’m glad your husband’s job situation is better!

(stuff includes cats that won’t move)
Boy, do I remember that! I'm a cat rescuer and at the time I had 13 kitties to take care of and step over! They were all good and kept away from the walker. The only bad time was when one jumped up on my lap and hit my knee first. I yelled and that's the last time any of them jumped on me. They waited to be invited!

Pets can help us so much in our recovery. Taking care of them gives us lots of exercise and a sense of accomplishment when we do it!

I feel like all do is complain. The last week has been worse than usual. My knee is really hurting.

I saw my pain clinic PA yesterday and asked him to look at it and see what he thought. I can’t get into see my OS until 2/28. The PA examined where I was having pain and he said it was patella femoral pain syndrome. I have pain at what he called insertion sites where tendons and ligaments are. I have pain above and below the kneecap and on the sides.

I started having pain behind the knee and in the front of my hip. It is worse when I am standing or walking or sitting with my knee bent. The most comfortable position is laying down with ice on. I feel like I want to live with ice on my knee constantly. He said to take ibuprofen 600 mg 3 times a day. Plus ice and elevate.

I still have swelling that has never decreased above the knee. We had a winter storm over the weekend and got 6 inches of snow. Tonight another storm with 5-8 inches of snow. Another storm is coming this weekend with 3-5 inches of snow. I wonder if the weather is making the pain worse or is it what the PA says. It is so much worse than any tendinitis I have had in the past.

I am sure the multitude of stairs in this house does not help. There is no way to avoid stairs in this house. I just want the pain to stop and see some improvement. I worry something has come loose because that happened with my partial. I can’t bear the thought of that right now.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. I just feel like I can’t win.

I’m sorry you are still having so much pain at 6 months out. :console2:

I’ll tag @Josephine for you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562