Bilateral THR Grateful Double Hippy

Oh, how gratitude fills me up this Sunday.:) :-) (:

I have always been an active person and have always worked physical jobs. My body had always been strong, and I rarely get sick.

6 1/2 years ago, I began to experience Chronic Pain.
:sad:

An online definition:
Chronic pain is long standing pain that persists beyond the usual recovery period or occurs along with a chronic health condition, such as arthritis.

Ah, yes. That wretched arthritis.

Most of my pain was manifested in my lower back, and was an off and on thing... mostly discarded or soldiered through...but now it was an always On thing.

My PCP ordered so many tests to get to the cause of my pain...nothing came back indicative of back issues.

5 1/ 2 years ago, I was depressed and chronic pain was changing me. Sleep deprivation and a complete inability to find any medication or therapies to alleviate the pain had me feeling desperate and old.

5 years and 7 weeks ago...a consult with a neurologist Who suspected hip issues led to my first contact with an orthopedic surgeon and after xrays.... My diagnosis: End stage OA at age 53. Solution: Bilateral hip replacement. (scheduled for 6 weeks from that date):flabber:

After the initial shock... I became very hopeful....so much disappointment had settled within me for the lack of solutions offered to me over the past year....now a surgeon was telling me he could help me get my life back.

Five Years Ago, May 1, 2017, I had both my hips replaced and began a recovery journey to get back to healthy and happy.

I happened upon Bonesmart while googling info about my upcoming surgery...and joined my first internet forum.

The support and advice that I received was truly a godsend and I feel was an incredible tool for my recovery.

I am able to perform my job without pain, sleep without pain, walk without pain, enjoy my weekends outdoors without pain.:happydance:

For this, and for my surgeon's skill, and for this forum...
I remain a Grateful Double Hippy!
:chuckmarch:

Last edited:
Happy Five Year Anniversary!
Here‘s to many, many, many more! :cheers:

Thanks @Layla,
One of my long time recovery pals, cheerleader, and fellow BS staffer!:friends:
What a journey.

Hi @Mojo333 , I'm also grateful - to my surgeon, to the rehab people and to you, the Bonesmart people. I've only got one hip replaced - the left - but I'm happy. Never had a problem with that new hip. It's now 7 years ago. I participated in marathons and an Ironman at Frankfurt (even though I didn't finish it. I finished the half Ironman near Heidelberg). I can do gardening and play with my baby grandchildren while they are learning how to crawl (a boy and a girl by 2 of my daughters = cousins).
Best wishes, Mojo, to you and your family, and greetings from Lincoln in England (my husband bought a house there and is currently renovating it and cleaning it up and I'm keeping him company and helping him - maybe one day we'll live in that house for a longer period of time.)

Congrats Mojo on your five year anniversary to a new life. We are so fortunate to live in an age where miracles are available to us. I think about the ones before us and how they didn’t have any miracles. They endured pain and misery every day for life. I hope I never take for granted what has been gifted to me and all of us. I’m still recovering but soon will have my life back also. Nothing short of amazing!

Happy Double 5 year Hippiversary! I didnt find BoneSmart until after my first. Even having been thru it once before, the support from you and Layla was so wonderful!

Very Happy Hip-iversary!!! You really rock the bilateral hips, Mojo! It is a pleasure to know you and work with you here. :flwrysmile:
:cheers2:

Wow, Happy 5th Anniversary, I'm only a little over 10 weeks post op and still picturing my life before my accident that caused me to get a new hip.
Hoping to get back to that life sooner than later!
That said, I've come a long way but I'm still anxious that I'll do something stupid to make the hip get whacked out of joint.
I do listen to my body.
Busy day today so now sitting with ice pack and reading.

Happy 5th Hipaversary @Mojo333 ! So happy you're living your best life! And thanks to people like you I was able to make my decision to have my hip done almost 3 years ago. Wouldn't have made it this far without your guidance and support. :friends:

@Mojo333 :spin:Hippy Happy 5 year anniversary my friend, May those hips behave and last you a life time. Celebrate you deserve it girl :martini: One hip, one knee replacement is cool BUT anyone having or had Bilaterals deserved extra respect !

Congrats on 5 years and many more to come.
I've got a question, do you notice any difference between the 2 hips? Mine get different muscle aches than each other and have and had different weaknesses and strengths.

Thanks for all the well wishes and thoughts.
@Constanze I have always been amazed at your achievements as you have pursued your love of running and never let some pesky hip replacement slow you down!
Hope you are enjoying what maybe your new home in England.
@Wyn wombat
Good to hear you are also doing well, my bilateral bud.

I hope these are my forever hips and I am trying to battle this weight that creeps up on especially us women as we get older, but all in all ....I'm super hip-happy.

I've got a question, do you notice any difference between the 2 hips? Mine get different muscle aches than each other and have and had different weaknesses and strengths
Hi @Eman85
I had to ponder whether this is still the case.
I felt like I certainly had issues (aches, weakness) that were more noticeable with my right leg well past the 2 year mark.

I don't know if we have a dominant leg (?) The one we rest on more when walking, one side we step forward to, or brace when we are lifting (?)
Just don't know.
I still get the errant ache or pain but now it is almost always attributable to something I have done...and hard to say if it is something I would be experiencing without an artificial hip.
I am so happy you still hang around and lend support to folks on the forum.
Good advice and successful recoveries are important.

Sometimes
some Vitamin D therapy and some Woods make new hips so much more sweet!

Attachments

• IMG_20220915_160037555.jpg
    IMG_20220915_160037555.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 60

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017