BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Granny6's recovery thread

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Granny6, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Granny6

Granny6 junior member

United States United States
    Day 6 in recovery. I haven't taken Oxycodone since 3/5 @ 4 pm. Yeah! Pain is almost non-existent. I would call it discomfort only. I am sleeping well, mostly on my back. I have tried sleeping on the non-surgical side with a pillow between my legs. I feel a slight bit of discomfort when I do that which I can live with. What I do wonder is if that puts the hip in a strange and unacceptable angle? Otherwise, it is a relief to get off my back for a bit.

I'm walking a few steps without my walker (4-6 steps) as long as there is something near to grab for balance. I am concentrating on using the walker for balance only and not so much weight-bearing. I still enjoy a power nap or two in the recliner during the day. Hubby is still being very helpful with meal prep, laundry, and doing the shopping. Couldn't do this without his support!

I have to say that I am surprised at how seemingly easy my recovery is. I had a knee replacement 4 years ago and it was not so easy. Also, my hear goes out to my fellow hip surgeries who are not having it so easy. I totally understand how frustrating and disheartening that can feel. I am sending them positive thoughts and prayers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. NewHip19

NewHip19 junior member

Good for you, @Granny6 - that is fantastic that your pain level is low and you are sleeping well. Both those things are SO important, way to go! Sounds like you are doing well with your mobility, too. Wishing you a continued smooth recovery :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

I felt the same way when I tried laying on my non op side. It felt like it was pulling at the joint. I was able to bend my leg and get more comfortable with it a little at a time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Welcome to recovery @Granny6 . I'm glad you're doing well.

Here is the recovery reading for you:
    Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

5. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

What a positive report! Make sure you don't overdo since you are feeling so well-:) That seems to be the downside to an easy start for many people. It probably was good that you had a knee surgery first. I understand those tend to be harder to recover from in general.:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Welcome to Recovery :welome: Congratulations on your new hip.
    It sounds like you're doing remarkably well!

Following is an article on sleeping on your side -
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/thr-laying-on-my-back-when-can-this-be-done.32099/
    You're fortunate in that you're sleeping well at this point. Many struggle.

I would use the "Activity Progression For THR" from the Recovery Guidelines, Celle, left you above as a rough gauge to keep yourself in check. It's so easy to over do it and I'd hate to see you land in the ODIC (Over Did It Club) and stall your progress.

Wishing you a Happy One Week Anniversary! May each week be better than the last.
    @Granny6

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:egypdance:Great to hear you are doing well!
    Keep it all slow and steady...and things will just keep getting better!
    Hope your weekend is sweet!:SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

Great report. Sounds like you are doing very well. I went from walker to cane and then was told to use cane until I felt comfortable not using it and also use until I had a smooth gait and no limp.

Like you, I had a pretty easy recovery. You might think about asking Dr office about sleeping on your non operated side just for your own peace of mind. I didn’t have any restrictions but at first found it a bit uncomfortable to sleep on side. That improved with time. Be careful you don’t accidentally get yourself in the ODIC (over done it club :) your body needs plenty of rest in those early days so it can work on healing. Sending good wishes your way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. lotusbuds

lotusbuds member

@Granny6 Your recovery sounds good! We are both at week 3 today! its our anniversary. If you live in Bothell did you have your surgery at Evergreen? I did! Mine was delayed from 9:30 to 1:30. I work in Kirkland live outside of Issaquah from Vancouver BC originally. What a coincidence.

Who did your surgery if you don't mind me asking? I had anterior with the robot by Dr. Christopher Boone. He is highly respected and I really like him. I am not going to compare my recovery with anyone else but am happy you are doing so well.

On a positive note I have gone from 12 oxycontin a day for pain down to 3-4 in one week so happy about that. Enjoy the good weather we are having and again Happy Anniversary!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Granny6

Granny6 junior member

Today is April 1st, day 30 post-surgery. I had a post-op checkup with the doctor today. He gave me the green-light for most activities but told me I wasn't ready to go "Bronco busting" just yet! Ha, ha! I had already started driving last week (about day 25) and felt I could have done so sooner. Also made a couple trips to the gym and rode the recumbent bike and used the elliptical. Recovery has been a breeze with virtually no pain. I haven't taken opioid pain pills since day 3 post-surgery. I found the biggest problem was having "cabin fever". I also had to remind myself to take it easy because I am feeling so good. I didn't want to bend the wrong way and dislocate my new hip. Now I don't have to worry about bending more than 90 degrees or sleeping with a pillow between my legs. Doctor said listen to my body. It will tell me if I am doing something wrong.

Looking in the rearview mirror, I will say that I was a bit anxious about recovering from the hip replacement. I had a previous knee replacement which was difficult. Folks told me hips are easier, and they are. But I was also a bit nervous about being a 65 yr. old woman with diabetes and a BMI of 37.7. All the educational materials they sent me said that people with those health indicators could have more difficulty healing and recovering. Well, I am happy to say I feel like I beat the odds! The hip recovery was by far easier than my knee replacement recovery!

To all who are facing THR or are in the midst of recovery, I wish you all the best. Maintain a positive attitude. That is so important for success!

Love to all!
    Debby

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Wow! @Granny6 What a report!! You sound like you are doing amazing in just one month. It’s wonderful to hear stories like yours. I wish you continued health and mobility.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave:great update.
    Glad you are seeing the benefit from THR
    Onward and upward!:egypdance:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. lotusbuds

lotusbuds member

Fantastic report! Thank you! so happy for you it has been an easy ride. Did you have your surgery at Evergreen Hospital? Lucky you to have had such little pain and be able to work out so early on. Thanks for the great update!

14. Granny6

Granny6 junior member

@lotusbuds Due to changed insurance, I had my hip replaced at Virginia Mason Seattle. 5 years ago I had a knee replacement at Evergreen Hospital. I can’t say enough good things about both teams and hospitals! Excellent care!

15. Granny6

Granny6 junior member

@lotusbuds i just found your other message. Dr. Nicholls, Virginia Mason performed my surgery. He rotated through their satellite offices so I caught up with him in Totem Lake for the office visits but surgery in Seattle.

What a small world! And you had robot surgery? Wow! Are you starting to feel better? I hope so. You know, everyone is different and it just takes as long as it takes. Thanks for checking in with me! I’ll try to keep an eye out for your updates. Hugs! Debby

• Like Like x 1
  16. Layla

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
    I hope you're doing well.
    Please leave an update next time you're on the forum. We'd love to read about your progress.
    All the best moving forward.
    @Granny6

17. Granny6

Granny6 junior member

@Layla, wow, it has been 2 months! Time has flown quickly by. My new right hip is very well. Only a slight bit of stiffness after sitting for awhile. I believe that will eventually resolve itself. I haven’t taken any long walks but I’m able to go about my daily activities very well.

I will have my 90-day checkup on June 1st. The doctor should be pleased

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Layla

Awesome update!
    May it only get better. Let us know how your appt goes next month. We'll be here.
    A wonderful weekend to you!
    @Granny6

19. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

Such good news @Granny6 ! Your surgery was the day after mine and it sounds like we're on the same path. Congratulations on the 2 month mark!!! :flwrysmile:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Layla

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
    I hope all is still well and your 90 day check-up goes off without a hitch.
    Leave us an update next time you stop by, we'd love to hear how you're doing.
    Have a wonderful Spring and Summer! :SUNsmile: :flwrysmile:
    @Granny6