TKR Grandma Chris gets a new knee!

What a super report! You are certainly an inspiration to others coming up behind you.

Happy Anniversary! It sounds as if you're doing great. Keep doing what you're doing, it's obviously working.

My six month anniversary came and went unnoticed by me! Over on the hip side Josephine talks about the 'forgotten' hip . I don't think we get to a forgotten knee but I'm pretty darn close. I said much earlier on that I didn't have a numb spot. I was mistaken, of course. It just felt weird, not so much numb . But it's there and it's still there though getting better. I only had one or two zingers but really they were nothing, very mild and quick. My knee is still a little swollen but not nearly as much as it was. I bought a Fitbit with the intent of increasing my walking. My stamina is slowly getting better. It takes longer for my back to bother me but it's a slow process. We are going on a beautiful trip to Australia, Singapore, and other places in February next year. I want to be in decent shape for those! I wish all newbies as good a recovery as I've had!

Great update. I can really relate to what you saying. Your surgery was 9 days before mine and my recovery mimics yours. Very happy for you.

Hi Grandma Chris,
I’m at the 6 month stage too - and my knee is going well. Still a bit slow on stairs. Great to hear your progress! I still have a numb/weird spot too. I go for an x-ray and checkup with my surgeon soon. I go to a pilates class once a week and also hydrotherapy, which I love.
We’re on holiday in Fiji at the moment and I’m so glad I had my replacement when I did. You will be looking forward to your trip downunder too.
All the best!

I am glad to read about your recovery. It is such a relief when you don't have to think about your knee every day!!

One year ago today I had my right knee replaced. To say that I'm happy with the outcome is a gross understatement! The advice I got here on Bonesmart was so on point. I have never had my bend measured but this summer my neighbour - who is a retired physiotherapist - eyeballed me at between 125 and 130. And it's better now! My scar is so good. I rub a little Vitamin E cream on it every night. I occasionally get a twinge from it, usually when I've been very active. Not the knee itself of course, but some tissues around it. I have started being able to go up the stairs without holding on, which is very big for me, it's been years. My Ortho guy - who makes my orthotics - tells me he went to a seminar in New York in the spring and the consensus seemed to be that people who've had a knee or hip replacement seem to do better if they walk around 6000 steps a day. So I've set my Fitbit for 5000 and sometimes surpass and sometimes attain. Sometimes I don't attain, LOL. I am starting to get indications from my left knee that it's not very happy so I am trying to lose a little weight. I know that would make it feel a lot better. Overall, I'm happy I had the surgery and tell all my friends who are having surgery about Bonesmart. I'm afraid most of them don't do it, but I do my best. I'm attaching two pictures, one of my incision and one of this funky little bump that is the remnants of my swelling. It's on the right side of the knee. Thanks fellow Bonesmarties for your great help and advice.

Attachments

• knee bump.jpg
    knee bump.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 236
  • knee scar.jpg
    knee scar.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 221
So good to hear from you and thrilled that you are so happy with your knee! I love where you said your bend is even better now than last summer. Once again, there is no Window of Opportunity!

So I missed my two year anniversary - the 20th of November 2018! I actually usually forget when I had it. So happy to tell you that my knee is great and fully recovered. I still can't kneel on it without significant padding (a pillow!) but otherwise it's great. I have no idea what number my bend is but I can do everything I need to do. Going up and down stairs is not a problem at all. The tissues around my knee still swell a little when either I over-exert or if it's very damp out. I will be happy forever with this new knee. My other knee sometimes twinges but so far it's not a big problem. I'm a happy camper!

It's great to hear that your new knee is doing so well! Happy belated kneeversity!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom