TKR Grace's (CAdesgirl) recovery

OP
OP
CAdesgirl

CAdesgirl

Country
United States United States
Another month has gone by... Boy, that was quick. No change in my ROM which is frustrating. Last week it was measured at 102 and +8 (which is worse than the month before on the extension). I don't care as much about the flexion but I'd like to be able to straighten my leg. I go back to the OS in two weeks.

The pain in the IT band at night is better but every evening I'm icing it for an hour or so right before bed.

sistersinhim

Staff member since March 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
My extension was slow coming in, too. But, it did finally improve after 6 months or so. Have you tried to extend your stride further while walking heal to toe? That seemed to help me more than anything else I did.

OP
OP
CAdesgirl

CAdesgirl

Country
Hi, all! Sorry for the silent treatment. Life has been busy. I'm almost to 8 months post-op which is hard to believe but it's true. The knee is doing well. I still don't have great extension +8 or so and my flexion is still about 108. I'm happy with what I do have because the only pain I have is from the muscle-flap which is nerve pain. I'm going up and down stairs which was my only concern with not having good ROM. I'm not a sporty type so being able to go properly up and down stairs was my major concern. A year ago, I couldn't do stairs at all and I could do them this time. I'm easily walking 2-3 miles a day at work (according to my handy Fitbit) and haven't iced in months.

There is life after Knee Replacement!

sistersinhim

Staff member since March 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
What a good report. You are proof that numbers don't matters, it's what you can do! My goals were to be able to ride my bike and hike again, and I can! I don't know what my numbers are, nor do I care. What matters to me is being able to do the things I need and want to do. It sounds like you are the same and are happy with your recovery. I bet as time goes on you'll find that you can do even more things!

OP
OP
CAdesgirl

CAdesgirl

Country
@sistersinhim I'm glad that I had a doctor that set reasonable expectations based on my prior surgeries. I forgot to mention that we traveled to Denver 2 weeks ago for 4 days. The knee didn't love the uneven sidewalks but I was able to do everything I wanted to do including walk around Idaho Springs for 4 hours. I feel like the knee is in the best shape it's been in for a decade. Now, if I could only say the same about the rest of me. :rofsign:

Hopefully, if anyone reads my story, it provides them some hope during recovery or the courage to go through with the surgery if they are scared. I'm really grateful to this group for their stories and support during my recovery.

OP
OP
CAdesgirl

CAdesgirl

Country
Well, I'm back again. I started having problems again after my last post which left me quite discouraged. We've been trying everything from more PT to Pain Management. My OS referred me to another OS who is going to do blood tests to rule out infection first. He thinks it might be that the replacement is too big so it's impinging on the IT band and a nerve.

OP
OP
CAdesgirl

CAdesgirl

Country
I was referred to a recommended surgeon from this group (Dr. Sinha).

Jockette

Staff member since March 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I’m sorry to see that after a previous good report, that it didn’t last. I hope Dr. Sinha can help. I only know him from the JRAD online conferences that we’ve had. He gave good information on those videos.

OP
OP
CAdesgirl

CAdesgirl

Country
I was in denial that the implant could be the issue. I really had myself convinced that it was a problem due to the other surgeries that I've had. I recognized his name from one of the online conferences that I attended. At this point, I'm just hoping that there's some relief in the future. I've put on 20 lbs due to my limitations and my left knee is unhappy with being the only knee doing any work.

OP
OP
CAdesgirl

CAdesgirl

Country
Another update, Dr. Sinha is retiring/retired. When I went to see him in April he said I would need a revision for at least the bottom portion and possibly the top (because it's an Exactech implant)

I was referred to yet another surgeon. Unfortunately, I got sent to a surgeon that is taking over the practice that the doctor who did the original replacement owns. I had my appointment today. He said he doesn't think the replacement is too big and is sending me for a CT scan. I told him that Dr. Sinha estimated that the overhang was 3-5 mm and he said that isn't that bad. Google says different so I have to jump through the hoops. I'm so sad right now. He did say that he was uncomfortable doing the replacement because of the scar from the skin graft. I think that's why he doesn't want to do it (not because it doesn't need to be done).

I went to my PCP a few weeks ago and told him that I didn't love the fact that I was seeing a surgeon that was associated with the surgeon that did the first replacement. He said that if he doesn't think I need a replacement, he'll refer me to yet another surgeon (#4).

Pumpkin

Staff member since August 2014
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@CAdesgirl
Sorry you are having so many problems and are having a to search for a surgeon.
If your knee is bothering you, I would not rule out the 3-5 mm overhang. Keep searching until you can find a surgeon that can help you.
Good luck in your search,

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 2018
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member