TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

Stopping by to say hello and check on ya!!! Haven't spoken In while.

FaithMitchMommy
PKR Dec 1 2014
TKRev MAR 2 2015

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@Nana moon 27 For the most part my legs are ok. I'm still dealing with stiffness which is quite uncomfortable at times. If I have a particularly active day with a lot of time up on my feet they swell still and ache. The strange thing is they don't swell in the knee area. They swell through my calves and down towards my ankles. The absolutely great thing though is that I no longer have that dreaded bone on bone pain but most of all they no longer lock up on me. My right knee still has not achieved full extension which is getting more worrisome as time goes on. I'm wondering if it ever will. It bothers me mostly when I'm just standing still and sometimes bothers me a little when I'm walking. I see my OS again on April 6th for a follow up so I'll see what he thinks. I hope you can get your surgery soon. Waiting is frustrating and every day you are in pain and danger of falling. I've seen Marmora has been on now and then too. I understand moving on. I have in a way myself. Life just takes back over but I do wish she would let us know she is ok. She was so sweet to keep up with so many of us for so long.

@Angel1978 Hiya!!! Sorry I've been so busy with other things. I do hope you are doing well. I saw that you had your revision. How is that going? Are you doing better now? Like I've told Nana I've just been so busy I haven't had time to keep up like I used to but there are many here that I'm interested in knowing how you are doing. Take care!

My right knee never achieved full extension either. It has now and it's brilliant. Mine was was permanently bent at 10 degrees give or take. The swelling never really went down either. I had aspiration and cortisone shots done they did not work. That's how come I had revision. It's given me the hope now to have the other one done but before the revision it filled me with horror xxx

Did yours ever straighten with the physio's massaging it? Have you been offered further PT? X

@Nana moon 27 For the most part my legs are ok. I'm still dealing with stiffness which is quite uncomfortable at times. If I have a particularly active day with a lot of time up on my feet they swell still and ache. The strange thing is they don't swell in the knee area. They swell through my calves and down towards my ankles. The absolutely great thing though is that I no longer have that dreaded bone on bone pain but most of all they no longer lock up on me. My right knee still has not achieved full extension which is getting more worrisome as time goes on. I'm wondering if it ever will. It bothers me mostly when I'm just standing still and sometimes bothers me a little when I'm walking. I see my OS again on April 6th for a follow up so I'll see what he thinks. I hope you can get your surgery soon. Waiting is frustrating and every day you are in pain and danger of falling. I've seen Marmora has been on now and then too. I understand moving on. I have in a way myself. Life just takes back over but I do wish she would let us know she is ok. She was so sweet to keep up with so many of us for so long.

@Angel1978 Hiya!!! Sorry I've been so busy with other things. I do hope you are doing well. I saw that you had your revision. How is that going? Are you doing better now? Like I've told Nana I've just been so busy I haven't had time to keep up like I used to but there are many here that I'm interested in knowing how you are doing. Take care!

I am doing well. Glad it not Pop. I deal with stiffness. And pain. But I am doing ok. Xxxx

SonnysGal
PKR Dec 1 2014
TKRev MAR 2 2015

@Nana moon 27 If I had to guess, I would say my extension is about 3 degrees a lot of the time. My PT pushed it to zero on my last visit but it was very painful when she did it. Some days it feels straighter than others. I was very spoiled by my first knee being at zero extension from the very beginning and now it actually hyper extends some which may be part of the problem with my legs feeling different lengths when I stand still. The difference between the two could be 6 degrees or so, I suppose. It wouldn't be such a big deal except it causes me to want to shift my weight onto my left leg which in turn can cause some hip and back pain at times. I think the continued stiffness bothers me more than anything though. I keep thinking if I ever get to the day when I can bend my knees more than about 90 degrees and not think about the stretched, stiff feeling it will indeed be a day of great joy. Soon my left knee will be 8 months old and my right will be 5 months old. I know more healing and time needs to happen but honestly, I'm over it! My flexion is great but that darn stiffness is so annoying.

@MotownGirl66 Good luck on Monday! I hope everything goes well with your 2nd TKR. My 2nd was much more challenging than the 1st. Hopefully you won't have that experience!

@Angel1978 I'm glad you're doing better now with your new(er) knee. I've read so many accounts of people getting a partial to end up needing a full replacement. It makes you wonder why they even bother with a partial. Hang in there!

Thanks. I am trying it is so hard. I notice I did the same as you. My back and hip hurts. I can't get my leg to 0. It is like 17. Made me wanna scream when she push it down. But she was nice and respectful to me. But I admitt it hurts.

SonnysGal
PKR Dec 1 2014
TKRev MAR 2 2015

Hello @gr82cu2

Have you tried the exercise where you lie on your tummy and your legs from the knee down hang down over the end or the side of your bed?

I found this for you in the Bonesmart library. I hope it might help x (((hugs))) click on the link x

Extension: exercises for improvement

Good luck Janet x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx

@Nana moon 27 Yep, I've tried it all including suspending my leg with my heel on a chair and laying an 8# weight on my knee to force it down. It has gotten better but just isn't quite there yet. Hopefully one day it will be.

@Angel1978 17 degrees? I need to quit complaining now. You've been through so much. I hope it gets better for you soon. Keep up the therapy and home exercises. (((Hugs)))

Update! My right knee is now over 5 months old and my left is about 8 1/2 months old. I had a follow up appt. with my OS this past Monday. My main complaint was over my right knee/leg. It was continuing to stiffen up on me and be painful at times. Standing, climbing stairs and straightening my knee after it had been bent were the most painful. While it didn't seem all that swollen I could see that it kind of was and it didn't seem to have the right shape to it. Even though I'm a bigger girl :) I never had fat knees. My left knee achieved a normal shape and I could see the knee cap sitting on it like it should, a long time ago. But my right knee was seeming to be just stuck in time for several months after the initial, big healing phase had taken place. My OS is such a great guy and doesn't possess the typical surgeon ego at all. When I told him I was still unhappy with my right knee he said, "Sweetheart, show me where it hurts." He poked around on it and felt I was in a chronic inflammatory condition. This doesn't surprise me in the least. My body just loves to be inflamed over one thing or another almost all the time, somewhere. So, he suggested giving me a cortisone shot in my right knee. I was scared to be honest because the very last thing I want to have happen is to get an infection but he swore to me he has never had a patient get an infection from this injection. So, I agreed! By Tuesday morning it felt worlds better! And now, on Saturday evening, my right knee is knee shaped with no remaining swelling that I can tell at all. Even though I take Aleve twice a day, every day it just wasn't enough anti-inflammatory to beat this back, I guess. I was up on it for 5 hours today cleaning and I'm no worse for wear this evening.

I've been very active lately and until this week I was paying for it by late afternoon or evening. I didn't really have a choice though. We all have lives to live and the time comes to move on. I'm always mindful though of being careful and not causing myself or my knees any permanent damage.

Next weekend we leave for our 5 week vacation and I'm stoked now! I'm sure I will still have to pace myself some and will definitely allow for some down time but that's part of the reason we planned to be gone so long. This way we will have plenty of opportunities to do and see the things we want without killing ourselves in the process. Or worse yet, damaging my new baby knees :)

I'll probably continue to be MIA for awhile with the trip and all. With my mother in law passing away 2 weeks after we moved them to assisted living and then moving him to a smaller unit last weekend and downsizing them twice in the process it's been a bit hectic. But, I do think of you all often and wonder how you all are. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up some day. (((hugs)))

I'm so glad the shot seemed to have helped. I can't believe your knee #2 is five months old already!!

Glad to hear the shot has helped. Enjoy your holiday. I hope you have a wonderful time!

I noticed you are from Indianapolis and was wondering where you went for surgery. I'm fom the Indy area and will be going to Moorseville Indiana hip and knee center. I thought maybe that's where you had gone and could tell me how you liked it. I haven't set the date but am thinking if I'm able to in Janurary 2016.

@sandijames2000 ---Welcome to the forum!!!

Why don't you begin a thread of your own and tell us more about yourself?

We will be here to help answer any questions that you have or to deal with any concerns that you may pose---we will help you throughout the entire process!

I noticed you are from Indianapolis and was wondering where you went for surgery. I'm fom the Indy area and will be going to Moorseville Indiana hip and knee center. I thought maybe that's where you had gone and could tell me how you liked it. I haven't set the date but am thinking if I'm able to in Janurary 2016.

Sorry to be so tardy in answering you. I've been out of the country :) I had my surgeries at Ortho Indy with Dr. Joseph C. Randolph. Sorry I can't be of help with the Mooresville place.

In 2 days my left knee will be 10 months old and next week my right knee will be 7 months old. I'm doing really well now. We just got back from 5 weeks traveling to and around Italy and I have no regrets. We did a similar trip last year and even though we had a great time, my knees were torturing me. Not this year!!! :) Really my only complaint was tired and sore muscles but as I told my husband, I spent the better part of a year doing very little so I had to expect it. As our time progressed on our trip I felt my legs becoming stronger again and it was such a nice feeling even if I was sore at times. The knees themselves held up like troopers! Sooooo much better than a year ago when they were regularly reducing me to tears. So, those of you who are early in recovery don't lose the faith. It is a long road but a rewarding one. Hang in there!

Great update, happy to hear about how your vacation went with your new knees giving your life back! They are only going to get stronger.
:walking:

Love the update @gr82cu2!!! Well done. I am so glad you were able to enjoy the vacation this time. That's wonderful news.

Well done on getting back to some semblance of life. It fills me hope for Friday. Thank you for sharing x x x

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom