BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Got To The Gate and Shut Down

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by KJRDAD2, Nov 8, 2018.

1. KJRDAD2

KJRDAD2 new member

United States United States
    So, just a quick vent. Had pre-op meeting with the internal med doctor on 10/30 (surgery was supposed to be 11/12). Of course my blood pressure was up fairly high so she immediately canceled my surgery that was 2 weeks away and didn't even give me a chance to get it down over the next 2 weeks.

Went to my family physician of 30 years and he put a plan together to get my blood pressure down and within 4 days, lo and behold, back to normal again. Reported back to pre-op doctor, denied again and told to monitor for another week and she will re-evaluate (of course after my original surgery date). And as luck would have it, no available surgery dates in December or January!

So, I get to keep the pain for a couple of more months -- yay!! (sarcasm)
    Thanks for allowing me to vent!

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Wow - seems very unfair! Of course your BP is high at a pre-op assessment. These meetings are quite stressful for some. Was your BP still high the second time?

Suggestion - buy a BP monitor and take your readings regularly. Create a chart with the readings and take it to your next pre-op appointment. I had the same issue pre-op my spinal surgery. If you can show that the meeting is what is causing your BP increase they may back off and get you scheduled for surgery.

• Like Like x 2
  3. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew supremo

That seems nutty. I always have low blood pressure except when I go for pre-op surgical appointments, or when I'm about to have surgery. When I went in for my pre-op physical it was on the high side, but they didn't say a thing. At the hospital when they took it just before my surgery, it was really high. The nurse chuckled a bit and said she'd be more worried if it wasn't high right before this surgery. I think they call it white coat syndrome.....

• Like Like x 1
  4. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

What happened to you is ridiculous. A single reading doesn't mean anything. A reading done fifteen minutes later could be normal! That happened to me at my most recent pre-op (for other than knees). My reading was a little high. I take a med for high blood pressure and was surprised to see it. But sure enough, a reading done by the same nurse later during the exam was normal again. A single reading could be high for lots of reasons, anything from your anxiety to an off-kilter measuring device.

I'm sorry they canceled your surgery. :sad: At this point, with the amount of pain your knee is causing, you want the surgery. At your point, having my knees replaced was all I wanted in the world. I hope you get a new date soon.

And, given what just happened to you and that you might be dealing with the same medical team, I like Jaycey's idea about taking your own BP and creating a chart that says, "See. This is what my blood pressure looks like." There might even be an app for that. It's good to have a little info/ammo on your side.

5. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

There is a medical assistant at my one doc's office and I think her technique is bad. I had a higher than usual reading the other day.

6. KJRDAD2

KJRDAD2 new member

So, just a quick update....after 2 weeks and a cancelled surgery because of blood pressure problems...just got released to reschedule (at first I was told no openings until after the first of the year), then out of the blue today the surgeon's office called and said they had a cancellation and wanted to know if I was interested in coming in for surgery on the 26th.....YAY!! (Think I'll go buy a lottery ticket). Thanks everyone for the responses!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    So, is surgery set for 26 November?

8. X2mangie

X2mangie junior member

That is great news!:yahoo: