Standard Shoulder Replacement Got some distressing news

Lexus05

Country
United States United States
I had a left standard total shoulder 7/21/2020; almost 3 weeks ago. The recovery hasn't been all that bad compared to knees being replaced. I also have fibromyalgia along with severe osteoarthritis, so last week the ugly head of my fibromyalgia came to visit. My surgeon had me stop all narcotic pain medicine at my first post op visit at 10 days.
I called his office crying because of the constant nerve pain and they did x-ray and doppler study to make sure I didn't mess up the implant and doppler to check for blood clot in my arm which came back negative. He gave me a nerve medicine which has helped tremendously. I wear my immobilizer most of the time which isn't bad even to sleep in. When I got home, I started sleeping in a recliner, but have moved to the sofa with head elevated on pillow wedge. I'm even able to get on my non-operative side and sleep that way. Glad I'm on the healing side of things!

@Lexus05 Welcome to the shoulder side of BoneSmart. I saw you had a conversation with our shoulder guru (Jamie) on her thread.

I'm glad this recovery is going well for you. Please do keep us updated. Our shoulder forum is growing quickly and we would love your input.

Things are improving and I'm happy for you. You're paying attention to what works and what doesn't and that's an excellent plan.

I agree with Jamie. Each of us is different and we each need to listen to our own body to figure out how to best get comfortable and heal. I hope things continue to improve!

I'm 3 weeks post op and still can't lay without my upper body being elevated (cannot lay flat). I'm still sleeping on the sofa with my little chihuahua. I still feel more comfortable (safe) in my shoulder immobilizer. Since my doctor took me off all narcotics at 10 days post op, the Gabapentin and Extra Strength Tylenol seem to keep my achy arm tolerable. However, this shoulder replacement is a breeze compared to my knee replacements.

When I had my standard total shoulder 4 weeks ago, the surgeon had to call my husband at home after surgery. What the surgeon told him was my shoulder joint was very osteoporotic and he was very concerned about the implant's stability. I have been on bone building med for a long time, so this came as a complete shock to me when I was finally told ( he didn't want me to worry about this as I was recovering ) . I now have an appointment with an endocrinologist tomorrow afternoon (an emergent appt ) to see what comes next. Don't know if this will prolong my healing progress or not? Have to see what this doctor has to say. Wish me luck all you shoulder bonesmarties!

@Lexus05
I'm very sorry to read the bad news about your shoulder. :console2:

I hope that the endocrinologist can find a reason for you shoulder osteoporosis.

I had something similar about 20 years ago, when I started getting kidney stones. Something was leaching the calcium out of my bones and putting it into my blood stream, which resulted in me making the kidney stones.

It turned out that one of my parathyroid glands (we have four) had turned rogue and was doing this. I ha that naughty gland removed and everything returned to normal. I stopped getting kidney stones and my bones gradually built up their density again.

I hope they find a cause for your osteoporosis that can also be fixed.

By the way, I've merged your two recovery threads, so we get a more complete diary of your shoulder's progress.

I went to see the endocrinologist on Wed. and she told me I was diagnosed from my DexaScan as having osteopenia. But what my orthopedic surgeon found during my total shoulder surgery is the true diagnosis of osteoporosis. She did some blood work and found out I need to be on a bone building medication either Forteo or Tymlos given in shot form daily for 18 months to 2 years followed by IV Reclast. I am already on Evista which hasn't been enough plus my Vitamin D level was elevated on my lab work she did. Now to see if my insurance will pay for it?

@Lexus05 So sorry you have to deal with all of this! I really hope the medication works for you. Please keep us updated!

I'm glad the endocrinologist did blood work and has suggested a treatment for your osteoporosis.
I hope your insurance approves it.

It's official. I'm going to be on Forteo for my Osteoporosis starting 9/1/2020. I received all the supplies except for a sharps box. Forteo needs to be kept refrigerated and I'm going to my endocrinologist's office to learn from nurse how to give myself injections with this. Hoping I don't have any side effects, because this drug is know for it's side effects!
Also start my Physical Therapy for my shoulder tomorrow 8/31/2020. Looks like I'm going to have a busy week. I even took a nap on the sofa today for the first time in a long time. Guess I needed it!

I'm 6 weeks post op from my shoulder replacement today and I never can get a break! Saw orthopedic surgeon last Thursday and he let me out of the shoulder immobilizer. Don't even have to wear a sling unless I think I'm going to lift more than 10 lbs. BUT now I have a suture that worked its way out of my incision and the doctor pulled on it and then trimmed it to the skin level. Now today when I was showering, the soap on the incision stung like an open cut. I am well known for getting post op incision infections that put me back in the hospital except for my knee replacements that the surgeon put me on antibiotics just to make sure. I didn't get any infections (thank goodness) in my knees. I started P.T. on Monday and plan to go twice a week. Went today and got the training for my Osteoporosis treatment of Forteo injections which I start tonight. Praying for no side effects.

Hi.. How are you doing? Just thinking of you... Schpooko

I was wondering how you're doing? I'm hanging in there. I'm doing well with physical therapy. Can't raise my arm over my head on my own all the way yet, but getting close. Need to be there by Oct. 8 because that's when I see my orthopedist next.
I called his office to tell him about my incision, but he was out of town and the only one to give advise was to not put anything on it. No soap, lotion, NOTHING! Then it won't sting like an open sore.
I wasn't lucky with no side effects from the Forteo. I couldn't sleep when I took it before bed, so I have to take it every morning. Then I got foot and leg cramps so bad, I started taking Magnesium and luckily they went away. Then the constipation and diarrhea; can't make up it's mind. I just have to keep taking this as this is my only option as I don't want to lose my shoulder implant!
Hope you are doing well. Please let me know.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom