THR Got my THR last week. Post Op now

Thanks for the update. You’re doing well! Don’t forget that heel-toe walking does help with a limp. This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
Good to hear you’re taking it slow allowing your body to be your guide.
I do have a clonk going on when I walk up the road, which is on an incline, but imagine thats just the joint bedding in?
The soft tissue and prosthetic are settling in, just as you suspected and as healing continues the clunking should subside.
Have a great rest of the week. :wave:

@Hopper Good update and congrats on your recovery so far.
I agree with Layla that your clunking is most likely your body adjusting to the new hip and the new hip settling in, making itself at home with you. :flwrysmile:

Thank you @CricketHip and @Layla - going to try the heel/toe this morning. Nice to have reassurance about my clonk too.
Had a lovely few hours sleep on my side for the first time last night with a pillow of course. Bliss.
Wound is still looking good. It has been itchy and there's been some big shards of glue shedding.
Its hard to see it as it's anterior (tucked away in the groin) but I use my phone to photograph so I can have a peep. :)
Heel toe here I come.

Nice to read you had a good nights sleep. Hopefully you have a repeat tonite.
Enjoy the rest of the day!

going to try the heel/toe this morning.

Here is a visual on Heel-Toe Walking
1633975544223.jpeg

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. :)
@Hopper

Thanks @Layla - four weeks next Tuesday to be precise. Yay - I cant wait for six weeks to pass.
Nothing to moan about or much to say really!
Still walking slowly and steadily with one crutch outside and often non inside.
Feeling stronger each day.
Still got a little bit of adhesive on my skin from the waterproof dressing so I've put some gentle cream on it as it's so dry and itching. Nothing on the wound though which is clean but pink where it's still knitting away.

Just totted up my outside walks I've done this week, from my phone app, and its 4.30 miles.
I'm really surprised as I just mosey up the road and back with a small increase in distance each day.
Add the in house steps and it's probably edging towards 5 miles.
I could do more but I'm in no hurry and in no pain.
Will increase this coming week if all is well.
I think the heel/toe advice is good @Layla - makes me concentrate on my gait.:walking:
What are your thoughts on Physiotherapy for THR everyone?

four weeks next Tuesday to be precise.

Just a little FYI to clarify. :wink:
We go by the date of the month, in your case the 12th, as its easier and more time efficient than counting weeks before each time we post.

What are your thoughts on Physiotherapy for THR everyone?
I have had 3 physio sessions, at 4, 7 and 10 weeks. The first two gave me a programme of things I would have done anyway - squats, glute bridges, hip abduction and leg swings with resistance bands. I found it a useful check on strength and movement. At the third appointment she just checked me and told me I didn’t need any more.

My doctor leaves it up to the patient, and doesn't want his patients to do anything other than gentle bed exercises and walking the first two weeks.

I have a good relationship with my physical therapist from my last hip replacement. I will use PT to see if I have muscle imbalances and to check my gait and tell me what I need to do to correct it. I can do the strengthening at home as it feels right, but I use PT to help guide me on where I need to focus.

Some PTs are not as focused on the individual and will just use a set formula for hip replacements. If you get someone like that, make sure you listen to your body. If it hurts, don't do it. If they insist, then that person is not for you.

@Schaargi - yes same situation as me and my feelings and my surgeons too. I will definitely have my gait checked.

I'm walking faster now and further. Generally one crutch outside and non inside. I unintentionally walked 2 miles last Sunday and all was well.
I am quite relaxed about walking and somedays go further than others but in general I'm increasing the distance and ensuring it stays comfortable.
Healing well is more important to me than pushing the joint.
All in all a boring recovery and I'm pleased about that!

Last edited:
Five weeks out arrived last week - and with it my crutch was cast away.
So much has suddenly changed for me.

Five weeks of steady and slow then suddenly everything has accelerated! my walking became almost normal. I was getting in and out of bed easily, daily tasks were all ok and although I'm not bending or reaching too much, or with caution maybe, I am flexing carefully but well. Yippee.

I've been walking a mile or two most days. Sometimes a lot more sometimes much less. It's just depended on the weather, commitments and visitors etc.
But it's pain free and easy moving these days.
I'm slower than normal of course.

My wound is looking good and is well healed and a wee smear of Eight Hour cream is helping to quell the itch that is accompanying the healing.
I walked around a Christmas tree farm last Sunday - through a bit of mud and on an uneven surfaces.
I felt stable and comfortable.
Today is six weeks out I have my six week X-ray and check up with my consultant this Thursday. I'm hoping I might be cleared to drive.
Today we went Christmas shopping - never thought the day would arrive.
Husband wishes it hadn't!

I've not dashed off to physio as I've done my exercises regularly and walked lots. However, I want my gait checked so will go soon.
My family say I'm walking well - mostly without a limp.
I've a strong urge to sleep on my operated side but have resisted. Can I or should I ?

I can tell my hip isn't fully healed so I won't be doing anything crazy just yet. But its feeling sound and comfy - what more could I ask for?
Fingers crossed all continues to progress well.

@Hopper

Sounds like you are doing great! I'm right behind you at 4 weeks, so keep posting because I'm interested in how you are doing. :) :-) (:

Five weeks out arrived last week - and with it my crutch was cast away.
So much has suddenly changed for me.
That is awesome!! So happy for you! Look at you go!
You mean 7 weeks, right? I was 5 weeks yesterday and you are 13 days ahead of me. I’m really hoping, to ditch the cane soon, too! I was fortunate to be able to drive early, but, losing the cane, is my goal! Not sure, what procedure, you had, but mine was lateral and I was told, I could sleep on my operated side. Not brave enough to try it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello @Hopper
Great update! Thanks for sharing and Happy Six Weeks to you. :)
Below is an article on side sleeping which I’m guessing you could probably try now, always placing a pillow between your legs while doing so. You may find easing into it easiest. I know I did. Good luck!

@Bodie’sMom - I am six weeks - my op was on the 19th October. I am just six days ahead of you. :)
My op was anterior and my surgeon was quite relaxed about me sleeping on my un-operated side but will ask tomorrow what is best. I suspect he won't be too bothered now.
Hoping what he sees on my x-rays tomorrow is positive too.
Great you can drive now - freedom!. Harder with a right hip.
Just about to read stuff from @Layla - thanks.:)
@Schaargi hope all is good with you too. Is your nerve damage fully healed now? And your mum?

Best Wishes for your x-rays and six week check up with your consultant on Thursday. I hope you get the green light to get back behind the wheel. :driver:
Let us know how it goes if you feel like sharing.:) :-) (:
@Hopper

Six week check was positive. X rays showed all going well.
Surgeon said wound was good.

My op was anterior and I'm very aware that makes a difference to what you can /cant do.

He got me to touch my toes - that was a shock as I didn't know it was allowed!
Normally I can touch my toes very easily but I was a couple of inches away for some reason.
I stood on each leg individually, marched etc.etc
The light manipulations he did were fine and showed me I was safely much more flexible than I was thinking I was.
(So this morning I shaved my legs and used a bucket of lotion to moisturise them!)

Much to my husbands disgust I also got the ok to drive. Yahoo!

My surgeon said to do any exercise I want and was pleased I"d cast off both of my crutches but did say he thought I'd done well to do that.
So I can get back to swimming in the sea - but I might just wait now until May as snow swimming isn't too appealing.
He also said after three months the hip would feel even stronger and at six months and even at a year I'd know it was still getting stronger and feeling better still.
In his opinion it takes a full year for the bone/post to knit properly and strongly and feels I should be positive and mindful of that whilst getting on with life. Same as my knees.

My intermittent clonk when I am walking is probably a ceramic bearing wearing in or bit of scar tissue on the tendon rubbing - and there was one other possibility but I've forgotten what it was.:nah:
Anyhow he wasn't overly concerned and I've another consultation in six weeks - but can cancel if the clonk disappears by then. Here's hoping.

Last night I slept confidently on both sides - although not too long on my operated side as it felt strange. Best nights sleep this year!

I'm happy and grateful with the way its going so far.
It's far from perfect yet of course. Lots of healing and knitting still going on in that joint thats for sure.
Sitting for too long doesn't feel great and I know when I've done enough walking (easily a couple of slow miles - if I want to) or standing - and I just stop.
Hence no pain relief ever required.
I don't overdo things and I've gone by the book these last six weeks hoping for a good bit of sound healing to be taking place.
That's worked for me but we are all different.

All I can say is the six week marker has been great for me and I'm feeling positive, pain free and so much better than I have for months.
Yes, it was all well worth it so far.

Hello Hopper,
What a great visit you had with your surgeon, full of reassuring news. Your outlook is great and you sound very happy. I have a feeling the holidays will feel special this year and you’ll enjoy ever increasing strength and stability long into the New Year.
Thanks for taking the time to update. Have a wonderful weekend!
@Hopper

Hi @Hopper!

Wow, lots of great news, a dose of freedom and a good night's sleep!

I hope the healing continues on a smooth path and the clonking goes away.

Good for you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom