Got my new hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
:sigh::evil::doh:Oye, Sherri! Be proud of yourself,Girl! I bet your OS waS DELIGHTED WITH YOUR PROGRESS!! :thmb:

Back from my 1 week post op and yes the OS was very happy with my progress. He has assured me that while he will eventually want me to work my way off of reliance on the pain meds that he will not cut me off if I am need of them (which I was afraid of). Rather he suggested that after a few weeks I try using advil or tylenol for some of my pain and then if they don't help then using the pain meds. I feel comfortable with that.
He okayed me to have a shower...YAY!!!...since my staples got removed. Apparently, I could have showered sooner by wrapping myself in saran wrap or some other crazy thing the nurses told me before discharge but I thought I could make due with sponge baths for a week or so.
He okayed me to start some no resistance stationary biking, gentle yoga stretches and pool walking.
I have not opted for PT at this time but he will write me a script for it if I want.
Used a cane today while I was out but noticed that when I started to get tired my gait wasn't very good so when I got home I switched back to the walker. I have to find a balance now of doing enough and not doing too much. When I came home today I took a nice nap. Hopefully, I can get some sleep tonight too.
I am so looking forward to my body doing the things it was designed to do once again. Maybe by next year I'll be sitting cross legged again.
Thank you all for your encouragement.
Sheri

Sheri,
I'm so happy your recovery is coming along so well.

Thank you so much for continuing to write about your post-op experiences. I hope you find it as thereputic as I find it educational.

And congrats on the shower! Sometimes it's the little things that mean so much and make you feel better.

Sleep will come.

Two weeks post op.
Yesterday was a difficult day for me as my back was acting up (sciatica)
Once I got the pain meds on schedule I felt better.
This may not seem like a big deal to some but after 5 years of not being able to sit cross-legged...I finally could do it again last night. I had just told my daughter earlier in the day that the things I missed the most were sitting cross legged (instead of my bad leg always stuck out straight!) and going for walks at the river. I said I would feel 'okay' once I could do those things again...so one down, one to go.
I was able to go for a little longer walk outside than I had been doing & have been able to toddle around the house some without my cane.

My recovery is not always easy but it is always worth it.
Blessings,
Sheri

Anterior Approach- Dr. Downer- Swedish Hospital Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie