• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Bilateral TKR Got my date for BTKR

pamsknees

Country
United States United States
I’m scheduled for Mar 16 - that was the 1st available - he does 2 knee replacements/ week. I’m excited to move forward & scared too. It was interesting - he recommended both at once before I even asked him.

Pumpkln

Country
@pamsknees
Glad you finally have a surgery date, the date will come sooner than you think.
With a bilateral you will have one surgery date and one recovery.

Tmgrl3

Country
Best to you @pamsknees!! I am so so glad I did both at once last March (3/21/19) I would say one thing is, build or keep your upper body/arm strength strong. At 77 I have strong leg and arm muscles. You will need both arms to lift yourself up for all transfers and moves until you can use those legs, but walker helps too. Every month I get better and better. Much of the time now, 8 months out, I walk and forget I had it done. I can kneel if I have to , too. They will both recover together. I can’t imagine doing one and waiting long and then doing it all over again. Pumpkin is right. One surgery, one recovery.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@pamsknees Well done on getting that surgery date. I'm going to tag my colleague @Roy Gardiner to come and chat with you. He had BTKR and is living life to the fullest.

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

Country
Thanks @Tmgrl3 - I’ve been working hard at getting into shape ahead of time- I’m up to 30-60 min/ day on stationary bike & ordered some weights in Sept & have been using them to build upper body strength every other day since then. I’m looking forward to being able to do all the things I miss doing, but am dreading the recovery time.

thanks @Jaycey! Reading @Roy Gardiner posts played a big part in my wanting to do both at once & then when the surgeon recommended it before I even asked, that just confirmed it for me.

Tmgrl3

Country
Thanks @Tmgrl3 - I’ve been working hard at getting into shape ahead of time- I’m up to 30-60 min/ day on stationary bike & ordered some weights in Sept & have been using them to build upper body strength every other day since then. I’m looking forward to being able to do all the things I miss doing, but am dreading the recovery time.

thanks @Jaycey! Reading @Roy Gardiner posts played a big part in my wanting to do both at once & then when the surgeon recommended it before I even asked, that just confirmed it for me.
I dreaded a whole lot of things and always what actually happens isn’t what I dreaded! The best thing was that I new what I had was healing, would get better and that I would walk again. Yesterday we went to Carnegie Hall in the City after a lovely dinner and a Long drive in, of course. I handled all the car, the walking in the city, the cramped seats...the whole thing...new knees are a wonder!

OP
OP
pamsknees

pamsknees

Country
Thanks @Tmgrl3 ! Seeing the success stories is what gives me hope that I can be one too. Along with selling my farm, I will no longer need a truck so I went looking at smaller suvs today- I ended up only looking at one as the walk halfway up the car lot killed my knees. I will be glad when a short walk doesn’t end an activity

Tmgrl3

Country
Thanks @Tmgrl3 ! Seeing the success stories is what gives me hope that I can be one too. Along with selling my farm, I will no longer need a truck so I went looking at smaller suvs today- I ended up only looking at one as the walk halfway up the car lot killed my knees. I will be glad when a short walk doesn’t end an activity
You will be so happy as each month passes!! We are trying to remember to get to the mall for some nice walks since walking outdoors here in winter or heat of summer isn’t good. I thought my long legs (almost ft tall) would give my knees some trouble when I started driving but it was so easy. As I said I am the oldest patient my OS has done double knee ...77. Best to you.

I did use my cane or have it with me for first few months but no longer use it at all, even when navigating through large crowds as we had to in NYCity this weekend.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LIFELADY
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom