This doctor said I have a tremendous amount of arthritis in the patellofemoral compartment and lesser amounts in the other two. In both knees. My first ortho said he could delay surgery for six years or so with injections, but today's doc doubts that. He took somewhat different angle X-rays and said there is no space at all between the kneecap and thigh. I let him give me steroid injections in both knees. I liked this doctor and his staff! They were all so friendly, and when I called from the road due to being lost, the gal who answered stayed on the phone with me until I found the right place. I'm taking that as a good sign. Doctor said I could choose to try the orthovisc injections or go straight to surgery. My head is spinning. If knee replacements are the only cure, is there any advantage to trying to put off the inevitable with injections?