TKR Gooseisland1’s Recovery Journey

gooseisland1

Country
United States United States
I got it done this time; Had to arrive at the outpatient clinic at 6:30 am
Was done and back home at 12:30 (including 1 hr drive and a stop at McDonalds and a ice cream store)!
Right now have ice machine running and leg elevated. Pain level is low; not sure about tomorrow when blocks where off. Doing tylenol and tramadol

Your block can wear off at any time. You’d be smart to start taking pain medication now and continue on a schedule. Don’t wait....if pain starts it can be hard to catch up.

I hope you do well and happy thanksgiving!

Marie

@gooseisland1 Welcome to Recovery!

I copied your post from your pre op thread and started a recovery thread for you.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

I continue to do well. still lots of swelling/stiffness. one thing that seems different with this knee is that icing makes the pain increase, I dont remember that from knee 1. Maybe to cold ?

Hi, if the pain continues, and you are taking your medication on schedule I would call your doctor for something stronger. You might just need it for the first 2-weeks. If you think it's from the ice, maybe try a thin towel on the pad to see if it makes a difference. Maybe it is your positioning. Are you in a recliner or in bed with pillows?

Instead of keeping your “ice pack” or whatever version you are using, in the freezer, try just chilling it in the refrigerator. Remember, especially if it’s frozen, to never have it directly on your skin, always have a cloth between it and your skin.

Thanks to all for your ideas.
I have had to slow things down a bit, I went to my first PT they did the typical measuring (while pushing the leg further) and gave me a list of home exercises to do. I did this for a few days only to have my knee and leg swell.
I have now canceled the next few PT visits and I am resting with my knee up and iced. Today it is much better.
I should have known better, 2.5 years ago with my left knee I did no formal PT and have had a great outcome.

I have now canceled the next few PT visits and I am resting with my knee up and iced.
Good for you! Since this is your second time around, you know that your recovery is still in the VERY early days! Your body needs to heal from all the trauma of the surgery before you can start to rebuild and strengthen.

It's important to listen to your knee! It will tell you when it's ready for more. Good luck!

I should have known better, 2.5 years ago with my left knee I did no formal PT and have had a great outcome.
Hey, don't be so hard on yourself. You're obviously a trusting person. I am sorry for your experience and the swelling it caused. Hopefully you'll have that back under control soon. Thankfully you've realized early that PT may not be beneficial for you, but it's always there if you decide you need it for some reason.

Please continue to refrain from engaging in movement that causes discomfort or pain. Do not allow anyone to forcefully manipulate your leg. While your range of motion is currently limited, it will naturally increase as the swelling subsides and the pain eases. It takes patience and time. You will get there just as you did with, Lefty.
Glad with a little TLC your knee is already feeling better. A great weekend to you!

Happy One Month Anniversary!
How are you doing since we last heard from you? Hopefully making it through the hustle and bustle the holidays bring and staying warm if you're anywhere in the country being affected by the crazy cold snap. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas with all these you hold dear. Take good care!
@gooseisland1
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

Merry Christmas to you !
I am doing very good. The swelling is pretty much gone, getting great bend in the new knee. Doing up stairs normally, working on down holding the rails.
I just stopped the tramadol yesterday, still taking tylenol and aspirin. Have oxy for difficult nights.
Thanks,
John

6 week update,
I am 6 weeks out from surgery today. I continue to make great progress, doing upstairs normally, still using hand rail for down stairs. I am off meds except at bedtime, I do ice and elevate several times a day. Need oxy some nights if I have been very active during day.
Hopefully this info helps to show how well this surgery can go.

6 week update,
I am 6 weeks out from surgery today. I continue to make great progress, doing upstairs normally, still using hand rail for down stairs. I am off meds except at bedtime, I do ice and elevate several times a day. Need oxy some nights if I have been very active during day.
Hopefully this info helps to show how well this surgery can go.
That is such excellent news! GREAT JOB!!!! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful update. It is very encouraging for someone like myself who is getting ready to have it done! :) Thank you!

Had my 2 month checkup with my ortho doctors PA yesterday. She was very happy with my progress and told me I was free to do anything I wanted. Did caution me about falling on ice! My next appointment is in November, will check both knees at that time (1 year for right, almost 4 years for left)
Just want to add I mostly used the BoneSmart rehab methods, did no formal PT.

Congratulations Sounds amazing.
So pleased all is well.

Amen to the Bonesmart rehab way!
I found Bonesmart prior to my first tkr over 4 yrs ago. I did very little formal rehab and had a great outcome.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Great news that your OS is pleased with your progress. Please do be careful on the ice. Its like a skating rink all over in my neck of the woods. Quite the challenge every time you get out of your vehicle. Stay safe and best wishes for a wonderful 2023! :)
@gooseisland1

Falling is my absolute terror and is keeping me with one crutch outside even though I really don't need it. Problem here is that the ice is very patchy and sometimes it is easy to miss a spot.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back