TKR Good morning! I’m new here.

Please either find another PT (this one is not a “therapist”) or do your own rehab at home. Next time I will do my own at home. Been there, done the PT scene, but not next time.

Hi all! I was 5 weeks post Op yesterday so thought I’d post as to where I am and what my dr’s protocol etc has been.

- tkr of the left knee. Dr did not mention pre-op exercises so I didn’t do any.
- was up walking on day 1 along with using the continuous motion machine. Dr also had a wound suction machine-not sure as to technical name- attached when I woke up. I had to wear it for 10 days
- staples not stitches. Also wore compression stockings - and have continued to wear one until yesterday on my affected knee
- PT in the hospital and quite a bit of walking.
- released on day 3 to go home with a walker. Instructions were not to get my incision wet until staples were removed.

- used the continuous motion machine for a full 2 weeks, generally between 3-4 hours a day. (It was actually relaXing )
- iced and elevated regularly using an ice machine
- in home PT for 2 weeks, 3 times a week with reasonable exercises daily as home work.
- graduated to PT in the office after my staples were removed. I was using a cane by this point.
- PTherapist is very aggressive. I have had to set ground rules about what I will and won’t do. Still ended up in tears last week after a surprise move to push my knee straight back.
- ended up in ER last week because of swelling concerns. Subsequently dr has seen my knee and thinks it looks good.
-

as of today, I’m working 1/2 in the office and 1/2 at home. I’ve been working part time from home since 2 weeks post op. I’m driving as my left knee was the affected knee. I use the cane in the office but don’t need it at home. ROM for 2 PT appts has been 120 flex and 0 extension. All that is good but I can still feel the knee moving around which is slightly sickening. They’ve done 2 xrays (which they say are routine) and the knee is in place. I can just hope that as swelling decreases the feeling of clicking and movement stops.

pshew. I wanted to record this as I’m hoping that each week I will be better and better and can look back to see a positive trajectory. I honestly did not believe just 2 weeks ago that I’d be walking well at this point.

editing to add that this has been one of the most painful things I have gone through. And I say that after having walked on a broken ankle for 2 weeks before going to the dr. (Stupid).

thanks to the experts here for all of the great advice!

Last edited:
PTherapist is very aggressive. I have had to set ground rules about what I will and won’t do. Still ended up in tears last week after a surprise move to push my knee straight back.
- ended up in ER last week because of swelling concerns. Subsequently dr has seen my knee and thinks it looks good.
This is exactly why I will not go to formal PT next time, I will do my own rehab at home. You can do the same thing now. This PT is not helping you. With a ROM of 120 you are fine, gentle walking and doing your ADLs (Activities of Daily Living) will take care of the rest of your recovery.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

I am at 5 weeks too, and have a lot of the same things. I do not have the horrible therapist. Working full time is impressive, I would have a hard time with that, I am doing part time from home.

I have the same worries about the “sickening” movement in my knee, side to side and clunking. But the encouraging thing is everybody in this forum who has had that seems to say it goes away. My Dr, nurse practitioner and PT say the same. So I think it will but might take months.

dr has seen my knee and thinks it looks good.

Funny how they always say that. I think if I went in with an arrow through my knee he would say “Looks good.” There must be a Looks Good 101 class in orthopedic surgeon school.

I want to add that your ROM seems plenty good! Enviable to me! Bring a fly swatter or a taser to use next time the PT tries to trick you like that. Or better yet, @loneshark64 could lend you that arrow sticking out of his knee. Jeez!

I wouldn’t even give that “therapist” another opportunity to trick me. You will do fine “rehabbing” on your own for the rest of your recovery. This recovery is not rocket science, gentle movements and walking, and getting back to your regular activities are all you need.

My PT tricked me, too. I was 11 days post op and sitting on the side of the table. The table was low enough that my feet were on the floor He was encouraging me to push to get to 90. Then he pushed the button and lowered the table more, and my knee had no choice bu to bend more. I was almost in tears and he said we had 90, did I wasn’t to try for 95? He said it was my choice. I tearfully said no. Then I got the speech about how he didn’t like to push me but there was a window...I was to upset to hear the rest of what he said.

I hadn’t found Bonesmart yet, so I didn’t know I could look for someone else, and to be honest, at 11 days post op I was too caught up in the agony of recovery that I wouldn’t have been up for the challenge. I also didn’t know that this was bad therapy or that I had the right to stop going.

I’ve leaned a lot since than!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom