BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

"Good knee" hurts daily but things are said to be fine

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by KenUSA36, Mar 30, 2018.

1. KenUSA36

KenUSA36 junior member

United States United States
    Hi everyone,

I came to this forum for my bad knee, and I know where that one is heading. However, my good knee has been great my whole life and never needed surgery. X-rays show no signs of arthritis. Several docs say it looks great. I haven't had a MRI, since docs don't see a need for one.

However, it aches daily. I'll get sharp pin pricks of pain once and a while stepping or going up steps. It may be inside, outside, or maybe just aches in general. Do I just chalk this up to overuse? Perhaps because the right knee makes up so much for my bad left knee?

I feel like heading back and almost demanding we try something like the lubrication shots. They've helped a lot on my bad knee, so they probably have a great chance on the good knee. I don't think the knee is bad enough to ask for something like a cortisone shot.

What do you think?

2. alexthecat

alexthecat MODERATOR Moderator

In another thread, you said this:
    Maybe it's time to take a break from that physical therapy. Lots of folks have found that PT causes an increase in pain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would concur with that 100%

4. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Also sometimes after a tkr the "good" knee acts up because it's taking more of the load while the other one heals.

5. Chillimac

Chillimac junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    KENUSA36 I'd almost certainly say that you've been over compensating on your good knee, putting much more load on it. When I first had problems with my left knee and subsequently surgery the surgeon actually told me that further down the road I'd see deterioration in the right knee(the good one at the time). 4 years later I've just had TKR on that right knee so his prediction was spot on.

• Agree Agree x 1