THR Good hip hurts when using cane?

BruceH

senior
Country
United States United States
Either I'm using muscles not usually used when I walk with a cane or my good hip is starting to go.

Has anyone experienced mostly muscle pain in their good hip when using a cane? BTW I did properly size the cane and I am using it correctly.

Maybe you are walking a bit more, using the cane? My “good” hip is going and the way I know is because I get that terrible groin crease pain, not just muscle pain. My old MRI of the “good hip” from five years ago showed I was almost devoid of cartilage in that hip.

I started experiencing the exact same thing when I switched from the walker to the cane. It's muscle pain, on the outside of the hip and not in the groin. It is especially noticeable after I have been walking uphill.

It could be that the cane is helping you walk more normal and your body is reacting to that. You'll probably have the same thing happen after surgery for a while, it will be trying to get used to walking normal again.

Have you tried icing and elevating when you're at home? I know there are some that it helps prior to surgery and some, like me that it doesn't/didn't. You can also try a hearing pad or something along those lines, sometimes it adds comfort and gives the mind something else to focus on.

@Elf1

I purchased a recliner a few weeks ago and elevate whenever I sit down. Not sure if it helps or not but it is comfortable. I've been doing a whole lot of sitting the last few months, more than I'd like but that's how it is.

I still have times when the discomfort is low enough to walk mostly normal without the cane. Other times it's all I can do to hobble around with the cane. It sounds reasonable that the good hip outside muscles are being used a little differently than they are used to when I walk with a cane.

I might just switch to crutches on the bad days/times.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member