Gonna TRY to keep this clean!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prinny68

Country
United States United States
Ok, so I finally found the "Embarassing Question" thread posted about sex after a THR, however I didn't find the info I was looking for. Is this allowable to discuss on these boards? I don't want to get TOO graphic, but at 27, and now that one surgery is done and the other is ABOUT to be done, I want to ask some questions, as this is a VERY active part of my life yet. That pamphlet my OS gave me pre-op shows pics of 70 year old people having "intimate time" and I'm sorry, but it didn't prove to be really valuable to me! Jo, can we initiate conversation on this one?? :) I'll behave, I promise!

Ok, so after THR can the woman be on top? I mean other than breaking your 90-degree restriction by leaning forward is this going to hurt anything? What about the woman(having had a THR or TWO, lol) on all fours and the guy behind her?

Well, considering the whole intention of joint replacement is to give you back your life, I would have said that, eventually, pretty much anything is ok. But you need to work up to it bit by bit. After being okay with one position for a while and you feel confident in your hip, then try a different one. But be prepared to call a halt if you experience any pain or discomfort in the hip and log that one away for later!

I'll leave more details for the older marrieds!

But you're not at risk for really doing any damage persay? That is my BIGGEST concern!!!

The only damage you're at risk of is dislocation and the further out you are from the op, the less the risk becomes. As you know, the surgeons tend to put the principle risk in the first 6-12 weeks (depends upon the surgeon), Thereafter it gradually reduces until it's back to normal.

There was a picture - or a link to another site - where a dancer with a THR was shown with her leg stretched right over her head! (she was lying on the floor at the time!) and there are many professional dancers who have returned to their dancing. After a maximum of a year, you should have forgotten all about having had this done, promise!

Hello? I'm sure your imagination can onl
be limited by good common sense! I mean if you feel pressure or bad aching, I would think your partner would be sensitive enough to your healing!!! :)

Hi there, I remember worrying about this in some earlier threads. At the early healing stage it is hard to believe that the hip can't be damaged. But in good time you hardly pay attention to the hip except to be grateful that it no longer hurts to bend.

My Dr. was great about saying that, after restrictions are lifted and I feel up to it, all is fine. That there are a lot of other activities that are more strenuous on the hip. The only activity that he wasn't crazy about me doing was running. And even that he didn't forbid.

Anyway, as always, talk to your Doc. But you will know the best time to resume all. Trust you have a caring sensitive partner.

Laurie (much older but not dead yet!!!)

Giddy uo, Prinny!!!!! I just couldn't resist!!!! :) Actually,

You may consider using knee pads to lighten the load! :)

HAHA! Ok ok, now now! :) I promised Josephine SOME sort of cleanliness!

No, I have a VERY understanding and patient partner, but I am ALSO very understanding, and know that we are definitely IMpatiently awaiting having our NORMAL fun back in our life! :) :) So that's why I ask... Thanks for all of the help and suggestions from everyone!

Oh, I'm sure there will be more to come!

Well, unless you're into unusual locations, not sure if knee pads are really needed, but, to put a nautical spin on it, being "topside" not only puts you more in control, it definitely lessens the "squish" factor, especially if your partner significantly outweighs you or is just a "collapser."

Another older but not dead yet . . .

Hi Prinny,

I'm also one who enjoys a really healthy sex life, and it was one of my concerns, but I can assure you as a fellow hippie, all that you asked is fine. It all takes time and you need to listen to your body and being fortunate to have a caring partner, your fun life will return in no time, and quite honestly without pain and having a better range of motion you could very well be enjoying life, all aspects of it better than before. Best wishes to you.

Chris :)

Some things I have discovered on the topic:

Each time you try something, it makes it a little easier to try it again a week or so later...

Sexual urges are a great motivator to push the envelope.

At some point in your recovery, 1 month, 3 month, or maybe 5 months out, you will be able to do more than you could before surgery, that's when it begin to get interesting!

Remember, you have bionic parts, and you don't want to hurt your fragile humanoid partner; so don't forget to practice safe sex; meaning, no hanging from the chandalier.

Mudpro, THAT was a great post! You're right, we have the strong parts, they don't, so we gotta be careful for them! HAHA fantastic!

I just feel like my ROM is nowhere NEAR what it should be, I mean lifting my leg or bending at the knees and letting legs fall out is still sore and stiff.... but it's coming along... I just wanted to make sure that I didn't have to start accepting that I'd never be on top again, and start coming up with ways to make missionary exciting every time.... But if you say I'll be able to, then I'll trust you all :)

Of COURSE you'll be able to be ON TOP (of the world!!!) Again!!!
Prinny!!! (whoops!!! Almost wrote Primmy!!!! Lol! :)

Prinny, How do I put this? I venture to guess that your preferred position will actually be the "easy" one after you are healed. Don't worry, all in good time.
Laurie (RTHR on 8/26) and doing great at twice your age.

There IS a god! :) haha And I'm thanking him! :) And thanking all of you for the support! :) WOO HOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie