Gonna get better....

Granny6

Country
United States United States
Right hip finally "resigned" from service! I've put up with moderate pain for about 7 years. Finally, my hip said "no more". Not letting you move about freely anymore! Consulted a surgeon. Stage 3+ Osteoarthritis. Recommends hip replacement. Having been through TKR 4 years ago, I have some idea what the road ahead will bring as far as recovery goes. I'm anxious about that, but I know that in the end it will be so worth it.

My surgery date is set for March 1. For the immediate future, I have my work cut out for me. I need to maintain or lower my BMI from 38.8. I need to be under 40 BMI or they will not perform the surgery. So I have 60 days to improve that number and I will be serious about meeting that goal! Looking forward to getting better!

Seeing what the knee folks went through during the post-surgery therapy session after my THRs, I think you might find it to be much easier. While they were showing us hip people how to handle sitting, standing, etc., I felt a lot of sympathy for the knee people on the other side of the room because it looked and sounded like it was a lot more challenging.

Good luck on hitting your goals and getting that new hip!

:welome: to the Hip Side. You can do this!
My father had his knee replaced one week after I had double hip replacement.
I do think he had more struggles than I did.
Getting rid of that horrid hip pain is amazing!
2019 will truly be a Happy New Year.
:yes!:

I, too, have heard many times that hips are easier than knees. But at least you are familiar with going through a recovery and what you might want to do to prepare for that -meals made ahead, activities to keep you busy such as books to read, puzzles to do, knitting, sewing, etc. My OS told me no therapy was required for THR and they support that same theory here on BS. I only did a couple PT sessions and then stopped since dr assured me I didn’t need it and he was right. I did have a wonderful PT who came to the house the first week after I got home and she was good to show me helpful ways I can do things but she did not make me do a lot of exercises. You won’t regret having the surgery as once it is over, it is so fantastic to be able to walk pain free again! Sending positive thoughts your way...

Thank you Lola115! I’m ready!
upload_2019-2-28_6-27-16.png

All the best tomorrow @Granny6 ! See you on the other side soon!

:hi: Hi Granny6
Wishing you comfort and only the best tomorrow.
Will look forward to your first update over on the bright side :SUNsmile:
@Granny6

All the best...will look for you on the healing side!!!:loveshwr:

Sending healing wishes your way for today! I’ll watch for you on the other side!!:flwrysmile::yes!::flwrysmile:

Thanks for the well wishes. Surgery went well and I am recovering nicely. I will probably spend just one overnight in the hospital.

:happydance:Good news and glad to see your post. Now...you are gonna get better!:)

Healing hugs, @Granny6 :friends:

Doing well after surgery yesterday. So far all is well. Managing pain with oxycodone doses. Staying ahead of the pain per guidance found here. Thanks for the encouragement and support!

So happy you're feeling good. Staying ahead of the pain really is fantastic advice!

@Granny6 I finally found your thread. We had surgery the same day and I thought of you a lot. Glad to hear you did well. I'll see if there are updates.

@lotusbuds thank you so much for checking in on me. I am having such an easy recovery that I have to remind myself to take it easy and especially not to bend more than 90 degrees. I have not done any physical therapy. I just walk around the house to the other rooms. Haven’t even been outdoors much except to be taken out for lunch. I see the doctor April 1st for X-rays. I expect he’ll release me to drive and resume most activities.

I’ve read your posts and I see you’ve not had such an easy time. I will keep sending prayers and positive vibes your way. I know it can be frustrating. I experienced a difficult recovery from knee replacement 5 yrs. ago. I was depressed and blue for that. The Bonesmart forum helped me get thru it!

I’ll keep check it back to see how you’re doing! I know you’re from the Pacific NW, I’m in Bothell, WA, and we’ve been having some beautiful weather the past 3 days. I hope you got to feel some of that sunshine on your face! Sending hugs!

Hi @Granny6 I found this post really reassuring. Had my pre op yesterday and will have a session with PT next week. Hubby is invited along and we will be shown all the things I need to be careful of post op. You sound as though you are doing really well. Fingers crossed that I can do the same

@Fairydell I wish you all the best for your upcoming surgery! Keeping a positive outlook is a big factor in recovery. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers on April 4th!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JPL2016
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom