THR Golf ball in butt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivesc

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, I'm almost 7 weeks post op. This site hadsreally put my mind at ease about some of things I'm experiencing. I'm only 44 and people keep telling me due to my age my recovery should be fairly easy. It doesn't feel like it at the moment. I have appeared to have a setback, however from reading some stories it may be due to my increase in physio!. I also have what I can only describe as a golf ball it my butt which is painful to sit on. Had anyone got advice about how I can manage this?

Hello @Ivesc - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your hip replacement and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

I'm only 44 and people keep telling me due to my age my recovery should be fairly easy. It doesn't feel like it at the moment.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to matter how young and fit you were. Recovery takes just as long for everyone. It's major surgery and it simply isn't the sort of surgery you can bounce back from in just a few weeks.

At the moment, we don;t know how active you've been, or what you've been doing to help your hip to feel more comfortable.
However, you may find the following guidelines useful:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. You should follow these recommendations

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

It;s a very common feeling, I had it with my left and I'm sure it will linger with my rt. Still get it once in a long while on my left, stretching seems to help the most.

:welome: to the forum.
As Celle requested, we would love to know your date of surgery and we can add you to a recovery group where you may want to see how some others who had surgery close to you are faring.
One disadvantage to being younger I've seen, is thinking this recovery will be way shorter and yes, overdoing things too early.
I also learned this the hard way.:umm:
That pain in the rear end is likely an irritated piriformis.

Scaling back activity, particularly exercises can keep you out of the dreaded ODIC (OverDid It Club) as you won't want to have to contend with self-induced tendonitis or other complications.
Just Walking is best while healing, and then...not to excess.

Good news is, if you take it easier now...likely you will be back on track soon.:happydance:

Besides easing up on physio what can help is to sit on or for me it was easier laying down with a tennis ball in the spot that hurt. It puts pressure on the point and helps release it. My home PT said to do it for as long as you can tolerate it and repeat as needed.

I haven't had that but I know the feeling. We use to have to get a gamma globulin shot before deploying!

I'd try some very slight massage (almost just a rub) to see if that helps. I've been doing that to my leg from hip to knee for a couple of weeks now and it seems to help me.

Thank you for all your replys. I had surgery on 12th December 2019, so almost 7 weeks in. My activity varies from day to day. I am still waiting to see physio again so PT limited. I'm walking with one crutch in doors and 2 when out. I can walk about half an mile or around the shops for about an hour. I'm trying to go out most days and I have started light housework, which means washing up and cooking. I'm icing and elevating leg as much as possible. I seem to have good and bad days. As I'm not really sleeping if I do sit down I often fall asleep. I will definitely try massaging the operated side. I did cut down on pain relief however after reading some of the other posts I have started to take paracetamol and ibuprofen regularly again. I'm also taking SR tramadol for my arthritis in my other hip, but this is not enough at the moment.

Thank you for your surgery date. I've put it in your signature and added you to the December Supernovas surgery list. Which hip was replaced, by the way?

I'm walking with one crutch in doors and 2 when out. I can walk about half an mile or around the shops for about an hour. I'm trying to go out most days and I have started light housework, which means washing up and cooking.
Have another look at this article - Activity progression for THRs - because I think you're trying to do a bit too much for only 7 weeks after surgery. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

As I'm not really sleeping if I do sit down I often fall asleep.
Taking daytime naps is a good way to cope with loss of sleep at night. Your body is still likely to tire easily, because of the Energy drain for THRs

Hi @Ivesc :wave:
You sound like you are doing very well, overall. It seems like the troublesome soreness begins when we try to up our activities.. just drop it back a bit and you should feel improvement shortly.

Even with my second THR (other leg) I had to re-learn this the hard way again.
If you ease up on things, you will see improvements that last.
I see you were recommended a tennis ball to help the piriformis muscle, you may want to switch to something softer if it's really tight and sore. At first I used several socks rolled up into a ball, a bit squishier and easier to use for a longer amount of time. /But you may be fine with the stiffer pressure, I just wanted you to have options. :)
Glad you found the forum, it is a great group of people, all trying to help one another.

Hi CricketHip thank you for the advice. I tried this last night with socks, only manage a few minutes as very uncomfortable. However I will persevere

I had posterior approach.

I had posterior approach.
I wouldn't massage - ice will work better. There is swelling around your incision area. I found sitting on a gel icepack eased this. An unfortunate side effect of posterior approach.

I also have what I can only describe as a golf ball it my butt which is painful to sit on. Had anyone got advice about how I can manage this?

I remember this feeling well! I described it to my husband as the sensation of sitting on a tennis ball, that was only the size as a golf ball, lol.
Thankfully it passes with time. I ocassionally did exactly as, Jaycey, mentioned above....sat on a smaller gel ice pack for some relief.

Thanks for joining us here. We look forward to following your journey.
Happy Wednesday! :wave:

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well. Please leave an update when you have time, we'd love to hear how you're feeling about your recovery so far.
Wishing you only the best! :)
@Ivesc

Hi Ivesc-i had surgery the same day as you! Ive had some problems too(over enthusiatic physio) but I was doing incredibly well only after 3 week-painfree and no crutches. See surgeon tomos so ill ket u no how i get on-think its bursitis.
I had probs with piriformis pre surgery and tennis ball helped loads..but just be gentle with urself

Hi Ivesc-i had surgery the same day as you! Ive had some problems too(over enthusiatic physio) but I was doing incredibly well only after 3 week-painfree and no crutches. See surgeon tomos so ill ket u no how i get on-think its bursitis.
I had probs with piriformis pre surgery and tennis ball helped loads..but just be gentle with urself
Hi glad your doing well. I'm still struggling to walk without an aid. Physio is going really well, however I do not appear to making much improvement over these last 2 weeks. I'm back to work next week part-time only at first so I'll see how it goes. I saw my consultant last week who was happy with things. I'm pain free on operated side R. I'm so use to weight bearing on left I'm struggling to stop this. Walked around town today with one walking aid and kept having to remind myself not to limp. Hope your visit to surgeon went well. I'm not seeing by surgeon again till May.

Hello @Ivesc I hope you're enjoying the weekend so far.

I'm so use to weight bearing on left I'm struggling to stop this.

I did the same! Still catch myself occasionally and I'll be 3 yrs post op in June. Old habits die hard, I guess.

Walked around town today with one walking aid and kept having to remind myself not to limp.

A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes. It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

I saw my consultant last week who was happy with things.

I hope you take comfort in that. We don't all recover at the same speed.

Have a great night and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Reading your thread has helped me relax about my situation. I'm just now at almost 7 weeks like you were in your original post and I'm struggling with doing too much (just cooking and tidying and occasional quick trips out! How is that too much?) and getting sore. I'm also younger so I'm disappointed it's not easier!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom