• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

THR Going To Live Hippily Ever After!!

mistytime

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello to Everyone
I had left hip replaced 2 years ago and everything went like a dream (apart from sickness for a couple of days) . New hip is wonderful and I am so glad I had it done ! Now the right one needs doing and I am scheduled to have it done on Saturday 7 December . Anticipating a slightly less smooth recovery as the house I now live in is very old (more than 370 years ), very quirky, lots of stairs and uneven floors . So I am using all the knowledge and experience of previous recovery to make sure I make my environment as safe as possible .
I live alone (apart from my gorgeous retriever and British Shorthair cat -Neville!) but my daughter will be home with me to help until after Christmas so all will be well.
I looked back at my previous recovery thread and it was very short , really because for most of us, things do go according to plan and we get on with our lives . Of course I would rather not be doing this again , but I am desperate to get back to living life to the full again . " cortisone shots provided only temporary relief -the first about 2 months and the second less than 2 weeks- so it is time to sort it out properly . I have same lovely surgeon and hospital as last time so I just want time to pass . I have a few tips which I will happily pass on in my next post . In the meantime , it is great to know I have all the lovely people here for support . This website really is a godsend!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Welcome back to BoneSmart @mistytime !
Anticipating a slightly less smooth recovery as the house I now live in is very old (more than 370 years ), very quirky, lots of stairs and uneven floors .
Not necessarily! Just work with PT and OT before you are discharged from hospital.

I look forward to welcoming you to the double hippie club!

leejaa

post-grad
Country
United States United States
I too had the left hip replaced in 2017 and then this year the right hip stopped behaving. My surgery will be Nov.13. Like you, I cannot wait to get to the other side and start recovery and stop the pain.

My house is only 160yo and was not redone for all my previous joint surgeries but it worked. I made space where I could so I could get around. I am sure you will do great and already know what you will need and how to arrange things so it is easier and safe. It is wonderful that your daughter will be with you for a few weeks after. We did a whole house remodel and made it more open a year ago so I am looking forward to recovering in a space that is more conducive to a walker and also now I have a bathroom upstairs and downstairs so I have more choices.

OP
OP
M

mistytime

Country
Good to hear from you , as your experience so closely mirrors mine . Please do keep me posted before, and after, your op . I am obviously so delighted that my daughter will be with me this time for a few weeks but I remember in 2017 I was absolutely terrified about the prospect of doing most of the post-op care on my own . But I remember saying to my Consultant at my 6 week post op check up that the very thing that I had been most scared about - doing stuff on my own - had in fact ended up being the thing that helped me so much in recovery ! If I needed a hot drink or a snack I would just figure out the best way to do it and get on with it . I honestly think that getting up frequently to do things for myself really got me mobile very quickly . Obviously all of you with supportive partners at home are very fortunate but if anyone is reading this who is worried about managing on their own , it truly can be done and can turn out very well .

leejaa

post-grad
Country
I will start a recovery post once I have surgery so you can follow that if you wish. If you have any questions just ask or PM me if you wish and it is more personal. Your house sounds awesome - I like older homes though I have to admit I do love the modern and more open interior we ended up with and especially the kitchen which now has lots of counters after having almost none before. We tried to think of how to make it easy for us as we age. I do not have children so figure I will need to be quite self sufficient as I get older, not that children always guarantee someone near you.

It is funny because my husband was home for the first hip and will be with me for this one since he retired. It was OK but I know I would have been fine if he was not there also. When I had the knees done in 2013, he was still working so I was home alone all day. It was really fine because really we do figure things out. I had my travel cup for tea, meds next to the recliner, a bag attached to my walker so I could carry bottles of water or the tea or my phone or anything else with me including food. It does get you up and moving in between those naps. I even took showers while he was at work. I think doing all the things on your own makes you feel less of an invalid and more in charge of yourself.

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I love your thread title! Best wishes!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @mistytime :wave:
Won't it be great to go into 2020 with two good hips?!:happydance:
We'll be rooting for you.

OP
OP
M

mistytime

Country
Oh dear, bit of a rollercoaster today as I was told that hip replacement surgery scheduled for Saturday 7 December (second hip) had to be postponed until 4 January . I was pretty upset because December is the only time my daughter can get back here to help out and my very old, characterful but very dangerous house (from a recovery point of view) will be a nightmare in the early stages . And there is the small matter of an extra month's pain !!
Unfortunately my surgeon who performed previous hip replacement 2 years ago cannot do anything at all in December so I have had to change to a different one just to get the timing for daughter's help right . I am pencilled in for 4 December but it can only be firmly booked after my consultation with new surgeon on 27 November !! I have passed pre-assessment and I cannot imagine for one minute that the new guy will not carry out the op on me . The new surgeon is apparently very good indeed but I so liked and trusted my previous one who saw me through first THR and then cortisone injections on this second one . He really listened to my views and went out of his way to accommodate them . I believe, nevertheless , that it is right to get the surgery done in December when the right help for recovery will be around . Isn't it amazing how things that would be mere blips in "normal" life take a huge toll on us as we await this surgery ? I am usually pragmatic and calm but I felt rather distraught until a solution was found!

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hoping your consult with the new OS goes well and you feel comfortable with him. If something doesn't feel right after the consult you could always cancel the surgery with him and go back to your trusted surgeon. Realize that holding off until January isn't your preferred option but it could be a back up plan.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@mistytime I am so sorry to read this update,, of course you were upset. I have an old house, too.
I agree that you need help, so glad you could locate another surgeon and I hope you have a super great consultation on the 27th!
What Elf1 says is so true, too. My husband is an instructor at a local university and can't easily take time off.. I opted for hiring home health aides to help me. They were great! Just another option.
(((hugs)))

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
@mistytime
Is your surgery tomorrow...on the 4th of December?
I hope your nerves are okay and everything is on track to get this surgery behind you.
All the best and we will see you on the healing side!:friends:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Good question @Mojo333 :goodpost: If it is tomorrow I wish for you the very best and you are heading towards your:roseshwr: Happily Ever After. :roseshwr:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
All the best to you as you head for surgery today....at least we think it's today.
We will look forward to an update on the Recovery side once you're resting comfortably and feeling up to it.
Wishing you comfort!
@mistytime

OP
OP
M

mistytime

Country
Thank you, dear Ladies . It is actually tomorrow -Wednesday 4th . I will be at hospital for 6,45 and so an early wake up at 4 am . I am second on list and am scheduled for theatre at 9am . I have been so frantically busy getting everything ready for Christmas and doing a thousand other things that I have not had time to be anxious ! Plus, this is my second hip so I know what to expect and I have faith that these surgeons know what they are doing ! Will post when I can . Bless you !

OP
OP
M

mistytime

Country
Nerves have started up a little bit now that I have stopped rushing around doing things . In 12 hours' time , hopefully. I will be back from theatre, resting, and waiting to start my new life with a matching set of good hips!

VSlowLife

graduate
Country
Wishing you a successful surgery and recovery @mistytime .
Hopefully the nerves will melt away as you go forward. I can’t imagine not having nervousness before surgery.

leejaa

post-grad
Country
Best wishes. Just think of the relief after the surgery when that awful pain is gone. I was very nervous right before surgery also but kept concentrating on that first step after surgery without that pain. Yes, it happened for me and it will happen for you. See you soon on the sunny side of the street in recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Carreg
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom