TKR Going home

ckub

senior
Has anyone gone home the day of tkr? I am so far scheduled to go home next fri the same day as surgery. I’m not thrilled but with Covid that’s the way it is. Just wondering how it went for you?

With my first TKR I requested to spend one night in the hospital. When I had my second knee last year, my surgery was at 10:15 am and I was in the car headed home at 3 pm the same day. I felt very comfortable doing that because I knew I had everything set up at home that I needed. Plus my husband was a wonderful “nurse”. I wasn’t as sure with the first knee But in retrospect I think I would have done fine.
You will not be discharged if you have any issues like low BP. And you will need to show the staff that you can manage steps and the bathroom.

@ckub I have moved your post to the Pre Op forum as you are still a week from surgery. Many post op members come to this forum to respond to members here, as gia2cats did.

When you have had your surgery you can start your Recovery Thread.
Best wishes as you continue to gather information and make your plans! :flwrysmile:

I had no problems with going home the same day. I live alone and arranged for a home health aid for several days. A family member or friend could have performed the same functions, but they were working or lived away. I needed help with food, getting water and ice, and taking care of my cat.

I came home about 8 hrs after my Rt TKA. I had my husband who knew what to expect from my PKA 5 yrs ago. And you are usually still under the effects of the block so pain isn’t bad on that first day. Just be prepared when the block wears off and have everything in place that you are going to need. Ice machine, pillows, somewhere to place your meds and water near you. I was nervous about coming home but with Covid, I really didn’t want to be at hospital any longer than I needed to be.

I am doing outpatient December 28 and it is good to hear that it is more popular now. I believe that most of us, when possible, recover faster from any surgery when we can be at home in familiar, comfortable surroundings.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom