TKR Going bionic

Report on Homitt bathroom scrubber. Love it. You can easily do it from a standing position outside of the tub. It also worked great for behind the toilet without turning yourself into a pretzel. It comes with a dome which is great for the tub plus several other different shapes for corners, small areas, and large spaces.
Even has a handy-dandy button you push and it drops the brush angle to a 45' instead of 90".
Whether it is a joint-replacement or back problems, this really does the job. You don't push down on it, just stabilize it there and let it do the work :)
I sprayed the area with a bio-degradable cleaner, scrubbed, then turned the scrubber off, tossed town a scrub towel and used the scrubber to drag the towel around and pick up any liquid. Toss the towel in the laundry and plug in the scrubber to recharge. I've used it several times and it really holds a long charge... of course, it only took 3 minutes or so to scrub a full-size tub. Well worth the investment.

@oregonlass -I am using Slocum & have an appointment withDr Jewett on Nov 20. I’m hoping to do surgery early in 2020. I was told by Slocum 5 yr ago that I was bone on bone but I’ve put it off til now. I want to be able to explore Oregon & home again!

Disappointing to have your surgery delayed I’m sure, but better to be 100% healthy going into it!

@oregonlass -I am using Slocum & have an appointment withDr Jewett on Nov 20. I’m hoping to do surgery early in 2020. I was told by Slocum 5 yr ago that I was bone on bone but I’ve put it off til now. I want to be able to explore Oregon & home again!

Slocum Orthopedic surgeons all get great reviews but checked numerous sites for reviews and what patients say... wanting to minimize risk of negative outcome.
Dr. Straub and Jewett always seem to come out with 5-star ratings.
When investigating, I heard from a medical professional who works at McKenzie-Willamette, the hospital where they seem to do all their work. She said they just don't see Dr. Straub's patients back for fixes. And I love how he really pays attention to what the patient is saying with no pushing to do anything until you're ready. I haven't interacted with Dr. Jewett, but with his ratings, I'd guess he is pretty darn good too.

He was fabulous on my hip, the pre-op team makes sure you know what's going on. The hospital and post-op team there were right on top of things. I couldn't have been happier.
The Slocum PT location, in their center on Club Road, isn't the most convenient for me as I live on the far side of town. But I couldn't find anything in the Santa Clara district. That's when my husband, (who will have to transport me to PT), said just go with the people you know for continuity. Their office is tied into the Slocum computer system so all their chart notes are available to the doctor and vice versa. I'll be having the same PT team I had for the hip. I love that they listened and didn't push my hip PT when the moves were just making the knee angry.

Now looking to do all the things I want to...without the bones below the knee shifting and undermining me.

Thanks @oregonlass ! I had a good friend rave about Dr Jewett as well as someone I worked with. Their office is not easy for me to get to either but I figure it’s worth it. I am getting an offer on my farm tonight & if it sells I intend to move closer in to town. I figure that’ll make it easier to do Uber to pt if needed.
I’m looking forward to hearing how you do with yours!

@oregonlass, I've changed your surgery date, added your name to the November Nimbles surgery list and removed it from the October Feisties list.
I hope you start to feel better soon.

I have a call with a nurse today, but I think the surgery is going to have to be delayed again. I still have shingles issues I'm dealing with. It's been 5 weeks, but still a few spots with scabs. I don't think my body is ready for the extra stress. Looks like it will be after the first of the year. <sigh>.
At this point, I just want the nerves to heal and be able to sleep better.

@oregonlass So sorry you are still dealing with shingles. Sometimes a very stubborn illness! But I agree with you - best to get the nerves to calm down before you tackle major surgery.

Please keep us updated!

So very sorry you still have shingles! What a pain. I’m hoping for mine shortly after Jan 1 too- maybe we’ll be recovering together on here

@pamsknees, Thanks, Pam. That would be nice. I'm just trying to completely take the pressure off myself by quiting trying to control the calendar and the healing. I'll see my primary again next week, but guess it is just a time thing.

I’m back :). If you can and have the choice. - get the Shingrex vaccine to prevent shingles. It’s expensive, but this was the worst pain I’ve ever dealt with. According to the doctors, nerve pain is the toughest to control.
But patience, rest, supportive supplements etc, has me feeling more like myself. I talked with my primary, had the first Shingrex vaccine and then saw my orthopedist. Absolutely no pushing me to move forward until I was ready. But I think I am and just want to get the knee fixed and move forward.
Surgery now schedule for January 20,2020. Entire staff was very supportive and did most of the work to get me rebooked. Same PT rehab team as I had for my hip. Need to get this done so I’m in shape to enjoy my visit to the UK probably in May.
The only discussion will be with the anesthesiologists to keep the residual nerve pain under control during the pre and post op.
Would love to hear how everyone else is doing!
Happy holidays to all!

Hi again @oregonlass .

I'm glad to read that you're finally feeling better. Shingles really is a miserable thing to have. I remember how my mother suffered with it.

I've merged your two threads about going bionic, so we have the full story all in the same thread.

I'll remove you from the November surgery list and add you to the January Jackpotss 2020 list and I'll also change the surgery date in your signature.

I really hope that this time your surgery goes ahead without any more hitches.

Glad you got a date! Mine is Mar so I will be watching your recovery & cheering you on. Maybe I should get a shingle vaccination - I’ve never had one as in the past they weren’t totally effective. Is the shingrex vaccine an improvement over previous ones?

Good luck @oregonlass. I hope it all goes well.

My son is in Eugene, and I’ve visited three times because I love it so much . . . helps that he lives there, but it really is a lovely area. Hoping to go back to Bend and try X-Country skiing again. It was fun, but my poor knee hated it. Maybe with this new knee, next winter . . ..

Glad you got a date! Mine is Mar so I will be watching your recovery & cheering you on. Maybe I should get a shingle vaccination - I’ve never had one as in the past they weren’t totally effective. Is the shingrex vaccine an improvement over previous ones?
Hi Pam,
I talked to the pharmacist when I got the vaccine + I had done a lot of research. The original vaccine was developed as they found the older people got the less resistant they were for the virus to re-emerge as shingles. But it was only about 50% effective and the doc said that after 5-7 years it took a nose-dive in being effective at all. I had it in like 2008. The new Shingrex vaccine was developed to overcome this problem. It is a "dead" virus, so low risk. About 50% of people have any sort of side-effect. The muscle is tender where I got it, but so far that's all. Instead of 1 shot, it is a series of 2. The second is 2-6 months after the first. Downside, expensive and insurance didn't pay a lot. But when I consider the cost against the agony and debilitating pain nerve, I'll deal with the money.
Everyone is different, so talk to your doctors.

Good luck @oregonlass. I hope it all goes well.

My son is in Eugene, and I’ve visited three times because I love it so much . . . helps that he lives there, but it really is a lovely area. Hoping to go back to Bend and try X-Country skiing again. It was fun, but my poor knee hated it. Maybe with this new knee, next winter . . ..
I do love living in Eugene. I was born and raised up north in Portland, but the traffic is awful there now and it's a very different big city. The weather is also a bit gentler here - no gorge weather influence.
Thanks for the good wishes and I hope you get back to x-country skiing. I just want to be able to get up and down stairs in England...they are everywhere and steeper than here on the west coast. And a castles...well they are just stairs. And then there are the lovely cobblestone streets...not on a cranky knee or hip.

Hi @Celle,
Thanks for making those changes! I really want to get this done and behind me. I've made a lot of progress in the last 4 weeks and it's still 5 until surgery. Healing and calming the nerve channels has finally kicked in.
Sorry I triggered a second thread. I thought I had the right one. Thanks for fixing that.

I love Eugene too - I moved into town today! Sold my farm & bought a house so a whole lot less work - I’m ready to get to travel & explore once I have new knees :). A trip to England sounds like fun! My vacation time this year is being used on new knee recovery

@pamsknees I've lived in the country too. In town is much easier maintenance. Travel and exploring is high on my priorities.
Wow - you're doing both knees in March? I'm finally getting my one done in January.
Trying to get back into walking more but when I pulled myself off of otc pain killers now it is a lot stiffer and makes my whole leg hurt. I know it's cold and wet, but ibuprofen makes a difference.
Take it easy and have a great holiday!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks