TKR Going bionic

Yes both at once. That was a question on my list to ask but before I had a chance he told me he’d recommend both at once - they are equally bad & doing one would have the bad one hindering my recovery. He said the first few weeks are miserable whether I do one or both so best to get it over with. I am now all moved - need to decide if I use the bedroom off the sunroom which has one step, but has a walk in shower, or the bedroom with no steps but a tub..... such a hard choice . I’m so looking forward to being able to walk more.

@pamsknees Wow! So glad you are moved and getting settled. If it were me, and having both knees done, I'd take the bedroom with no steps and then use the walk-in shower. I recall after my hip, it was sponge baths for a week or so anyway. Do what makes your life easier.
I did find a great non-slip loofah shower mat at Bed Bath and Beyond. The water drains through it well and both my husband and I find it a bit more secure underfoot. He also put up a couple of grab bars in the bathrooms to make things a bit more secure and built confidence. You just have to be careful with the ones that use only suction devices in the shower as they can pop loose from their tight grip on the plastic-type shower inserts.
I'm with you on the wanting to walk more!!!

I’ll have to check out that loofah shower mat at bed bath & beyond - I got a good coupon when I changed my address. You are so full of good suggestions! Once im unpacked, I will start in on getting things ready for the knee recovery. Since I no longer need a truck for the farm, I sold it last night & am buying a rav 4- easy to get in & out of .Funny how everything I do is based on my knees - hope someday that’s not the case! I’m right near the pedestrian / bike paths at my new house so I’m looking forward to trying those out as I recover.

@pamsknees Sounds like you are doing smart planning to me!
When I had my hip replaced, I noticed that using a walker, cane, or crutches messes with your posture walking. You are leaning forward more and that throws everything out of alignment. At my PT’s suggestion, my husband made me a set of walking sticks. Two 4’ wooden dowels from a hardware store. 5/8” or 3/4”. They are already smooth. He picked up a couple of “rubber foot caps” from the hardware department and put these on the bottoms of the poles. At PT the ones they had didn’t have handgrips, but dear hubby topped mine with motorcycle handlebar grips. The height means you place your hands higher and it brings you into better posture which helps the whole body move easier. I’m not good on crutches so started with the approved 2 wheel walker and then to the walking sticks. I made them my normal companion when outside walking and still use one when I walk the dog. Hikers have long advocated walking sticks and now I know why.

What a great idea! My son is hoping to come help me when I have my surgery so I will ask if he can make me some walking sticks like that

My dear husband/coach and support person was in a nasty auto accident today. He has a broken sternum and right femur. They had to do surgery, realign and put in a rod down the length of the bone. It’s his right leg. He won’t be driving for weeks. Even if family helps me get to surgery and home, I’d have no way to get to PT. Looks like surgery will have to be cancelled and rescheduled in a few months. He kept apologizing. I’m just glad he is safe. I have to contact the doctor and hospital tomorrow and am rather embarrassed but there is nothing I can think of to do it. Hubby is going to need my to be his helper first. It was near head on and he was driving a non-emergency medical transport - a Prius. He thinks both vehicles were a loss. So grateful it wasn’t worse. His passenger was also hurt but in the ER she kept saying how much she liked him and he was the best driver ever. :(

Oh goodness!! That is awful! I would do exactly what you are doing: being thankful it wasn’t worse, putting off my own surgery, feeling disappointed about putting off the surgery . . . All but one thing . . . there is nothing to be embarrassed about when you call the hospital. Please see the heroism in caring for this person you love.

Oh my stars @oregonlass
Just popped by to see if you were still doing well with new hip and read about the terrible accident involving your husband.:sad:
Good vibes coming your way for his healing...and prayers for comfort for your poor knee.

So sorry to hear about your husbands accident Oregonlass. Yep, don't apologize to the surgeon they know things happen and they'd want your best outcome when you have your support in place. My surgery had to be postponed (nearly three months) due to a minor health challenge and it worked out. Be well and take care.

Thanks all. I'll be around if anyone needs me or just someone to listen.

I’m so sorry to hear about your husband. Sending hugs and prayers for a good recovery for him and strength for you. :console2::prayer:

Oh my gosh! So glad your husband is OK. How scary! Maybe we will have surgery around the same time

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom