TKR Going bionic

oregonlass

Country
United States United States
Hi All,
My left knee has been getting worse for several years, but last year my left hip went bone on bone. Dec 10, 2018, I had a THR and have had a fabulous outcome. But the strain on the left knee made it really cranky and if anything impacted my post op rehab, it was what that knee would tolerate.
I talked with my surgeon and we decided to watch it over the summer. It is bone on bone and the bones weren’t perfectly aligned.
My LMT who specializes in pain management, has helped me a lot using what is called The Berry Techniques. Even so, I’ve found going down hills or even slopes, uneven ground, (even my own gardening), walking on gravel or cobblestones etc has forced me to wear a knee brace and or use walking sticks. Not going to get better so going bionic to get my life back.
Doctor told me I should expect a similar outcome as I had with my hip so that has reduced the nerves.
I will do this and take my life back with bionics :). Left TKR Oct 21, 2019

Welcome to the Knee Side.

Here is the pre op reading for knees.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Welcome to Knee Preop! Going bionic has been life changing for me, and I havent even finished recovering yet!

@oregonlass
I have a very similar situation. My right hip declined very rapidly (30 days) in 2017 so had it replaced. Very uneventful recovery from the surgery except for my right knee starting to really "kick up."
I've lived with my deteriorating right knee for a bit over 2 years but am finally set to get it replaced on Oct. 9th.
Am greatly looking forward to being able bodied again to do the outdoor activities I so enjoy!!

@pdlinda - Your signature says you're having your Right TKR on October 4th, but you said it would be on October 9th in your post above. Has your surgery date been changed? Please can you clarify this for us? Thank you. :flwrysmile:

@Celle
Yes, I changed surgeons and my new surgery date is October 9, 2019.
Thanks so much for bringing to my attention.

Thanks @pdlinda. We will make this journey together. I'm already trying to think ahead to how I will need to modify certain activities. We do Airbnb and I'm a real clean freak so everything presents as I'd expect to find it. Hubby is very helpful.
Sounds like if he isn't available it will be using a mop to clean the tub/shower? Can you really get it clean that way?
Gardening is the other issue since no kneeling. I mostly work with long-handled tools and fold forward to pick stuff up and put it in the tub for transfer to the recycle bin. Any nifty tips or tricks? I can only do that about 30 minutes at a whack with the knee brace on or it gets really cranky.
I've found if I have to teach (stand) for several hours, the thigh bone starts to ache. Anyone else had that issue? Ibuprophen + sitting on my butt with elevation seems to calm it down. At first I thought it was my hip replacement, but I'm now 9 months and this just started so I think it is the not completely aligned knee joint.
Love for any input :)

@oregonlass

I am hiring cleaning help for the foreseeable future and will wait and see how my rehab goes as regards gardening and the local walking I love to do. I live in a mountain preserve so everything is hills.
My experience after both hip replacements was that after about 4 weeks I could get a sense of how much function I was achieving without pushing myself so I could accurately see what was realistic for me to achieve.

My latest issue is that the back of my NON-OPERATED knee has become very STIFF to the point of me finding it hard to bend. I'm going for my last Pre-op PT session on Wed so maybe they'll be able to help me until my surgery date of Oct 9th.

I, like you, am detail oriented and organized so these last 2 weeks of planning will hopefully yield the desired result of smooth sailing after surgery.

So nice to have you and the forum to share this experience.

I'm already trying to think ahead to how I will need to modify certain activities. We do Airbnb and I'm a real clean freak so everything presents as I'd expect to find it. Hubby is very helpful.
Sounds like if he isn't available it will be using a mop to clean the tub/shower? Can you really get it clean that way?
I am hiring cleaning help for the foreseeable future and will wait and see how my rehab goes as regards gardening and the local walking I love to do.
I think it would be a good idea to hire help for cleaning, for at least the first month of your recovery.
Here's an article that suggests the amount of activity we recommend during early recovery:
Activity progression for TKRs

Backup help it is. My hubby will be taking some time off, last year he was off 2 months. I think he hopes to work part-time after the first couple of weeks depending on how I'm doing with mobility. He was a great coach for my hip.
The activity progression looks about the same as came in my Knee Manual from Slocum Orthopedics. Slow and easy wins the race.

My Beloved took off the first week after my surgeries, then worked half time the 2nd week. He's back to work full time now, but he's working from home, just in case. Given a choice, he'd probably have preferred 2 half time weeks. Now 3 weeks out he's contemplating going back in to the office. I'm very self sufficient. For the left leg I started some local, quiet road driving around now.

In terms of outside help, we already had cleaning help because I was so disabled before. I added contracting out 2 weeks of cat box maintenance, because that is Beloved's least favorite chore in the world. lol 2 weeks was about right.

Slow and steady, with a willingness to backstep is the way to go.

Just found a Homitt Electric (rechargeable) spin scrubber for doing bathroom floors and bathtubs on Amazon. Comes with two different height adjustable handles and multiple head choices. Reviews were stellar. Lots were by people with disabilities or joint replacements. It wasn't the cheapest one but it got the best reviews. Should make getting the floors behind toilets as well as the tub/shower easier for both hubby and I. It arrives tomorrow, will let you know what I think.

Has anyone ever used the compression socks with zippers post-surgery? They were suggested to me by my medicare nurse during our consultation today. I have a mark that never faded away on my surgery leg from my THR where they pinched my skin at my knee. They have the same compression rating as the TED socks they sent me home from the hospital with.

Slight bump in my road. Last Friday, I broke out with shingles. Did see an urgent care doctor and they started me on acyclovir. 2 nights ago my legs were jerking and the pain was an 8. I finally got up and took some oxycodone left over from hip surgery. That took the pain down and allowed me to get some sleep.
I’ve been in contact with my surgeon’s office, Medicare charge nurse and primary care who is internal medicine. He will be the one making the call on the impact on surgery.
Think I need to reschedule the pre-op knee class and anesthesia appointment. At this point, just miserable. I think the hip was easier than this crud.

@Celle, The surgery last December was Left THR, not right. I’ll keep you posted of any date changes for the knee.

Hi Oregon lass
I’m also in OR, just south of Eugene.
Shingles is no fun! Hope it clears up fast & doesn’t impact your surgery date.

@Celle change in knee surgery date...
Due to my coming down with shingles just over a week ago, my internal medicine doctor recommend we delay surgery to give me so time to do not only good healing but regain my immune balance. So we have rescheduled the left TKR for November 18th. That gives me over 6 weeks. I seem to be shedding the scabs and skin is starting to look normal again although there is still residual tenderness (a lot) and some pinkness in the healing skin.

@pamsknees - how cool to have a neighbor here. Did you go through a Slocum orthopedic doc? My orthopedist is Dr. Straub. He did my hip and I'm delighted he will be getting me through this journey. I give him 5 stars. When is your surgery or are you still in the deciding stages?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back