• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Go to the dentist? Give blood ahead of surgery?

animal mom

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone,

I hope I'm doing this correctly. I am having RTH on Aug 13th. I have heard you should have your teeth cleaned before your surgery. Does anyone know if that is true? If so, how soon before your surgery should you have them cleaned?

I'm also wondering how important it is to bank your own blood before surgery?

I'm very grateful for the time :yellowcat:

Ptarmigan

senior
Country
Hi! I would say these are both questions for your surgeon’s office. In my case, the policy is “No dental cleaning or procedures within 30 days of surgery.” And I was also told blood banking has to be done far enough in advance of surgery to allow your body to replace what you’ve banked, so there’s a cutoff. My preop bloodwork showed I would be unlikely to need a transfusion, so I didn’t find out how far in advance I would need to bank my blood.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
Hi @animal mom ! My OS's rule for teeth cleaning was 3 months in either direction. I scurried for that pre op one, I tell you.

I never banked blood so don't know. Also didn't need any.

It's time to count down the days now. Are you all ready in your house?

OP
OP
animal mom

animal mom

Country
I have a very small cabin so it didn't take much to get ready. The only thing I need is a higher bed or couch to sleep on. I am also having a RTHR anterior. Any tips?

yorkiegs1

Country
Animal Mom,
I had my surgery done in June and had my teeth cleaned in April. My surgeon advised to have dental work completed prior to surgery.
After surgery my OS advised not to have any dental work , cleanings etc done until 6 months after surgery and for all future dental services I have to take an antibiotic 1 hr before any dental procedure. This is to prevent infection.
Talk to your OS as they all may have a different protocol.
Good luck!!

Hoppy Nanny

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Gosh... nobody mentioned dental treatment for before or after THR...think it best if you consult with your surgeon to see what his protocols are..

August 13th not far away now.... hope the next few weeks fly by ...you will soon have your shiny new hip...take care xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gertie

post-grad
Country
My OS wants you to have had a dental visit--and get the all clear from the dentist--in the year preceding the surgery and I think he says it's OK to get a cleaning done within a couple of weeks before the surgery and then need to wait 3 mos after. So many different protocols out there! Best to check with the practice.

For adaptive stuff, I love having a raised toilet seat with arms, especially in early days post-op. Also put bed and couch up on risers (I'm tall) and made sure I have several reacher/grabbers (one in bedroom, one in kitchen, one that floats around where needed).

OP
OP
animal mom

animal mom

Country
Thank you all so much for the great advice and good wishes! I see many of you have critters as your icons. I run an animal rescue so I feel in great company !

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
:mooncat:@animal mom hi! I had anterior both times. My favorite aid was the foot scrubber I'd bought on Amazon. It looks like a big bulky awkward single-strap sandal, but it's filled with soft bristles bottom and top. It took many weeks before I was able to lift and twist my leg up high enough to wash my feet, and this scrubber felt So Good! The grabber still is in use as an aid to getting shoe boxes or whatever down from the top shelf of the closet. It was summer both times (intentionally on my part, I did not want to have to walk on icy roads, or have to wear heavy clothes for warmth or instead turn the the thermostat way up. I wore a loose lightweight jumper with huge pockets for carrying phone, pills, whatever. Kept my handbag, a pocketed apron, and a tote bag draped on my walker. I was a regular hermit crab with my house on my front. I really missed all that handy storage when I gave up the walker.

And here's a BIG one for you. If you have cats, keep a nice flat cushion on your lap at all times! The moment I lay down on my couch on arriving home, the cat leapt up to my unprotected lap and of course landed right on the very sore incision. I shrieked. That cat took days to speak to me again. :mooncat:

OP
OP
animal mom

animal mom

Country
I would never have thought about the lap cushion. I have two over zealous felines. Thanks for the tip!

QHElly

Country
Animal Mom, I was told to get dental work completed before surgery. I got three tooth extractions and three more in October and then plaque removal. I never heard you have to wait three months after dental work before surgery, more like six weeks. Or less. Good luck. You and I will be happy hippies!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hwg
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags