THR Seeking Gluteus Maximus Tendon Transfer Advice

@gavinmac 5th wow! I’m hoping you defo beat me . My GT was fractured during THR hence the cerclage wires to repair but thankfully that has healed well. Thanks for the support- I too am finding the pleasures in the simple things in life! Wishing you a quick recovery and no more surgery!!!

I am currently laid in my hospital bed after abductor muscle surgery yesterday. I had the minimus and medius sown back on the the greater trochanter. The operation was 2.5 hours but went well. However I am in so much pain! It is worse than the THR! I am on top of pain meds but am dreading the physio visit in the morning. Has anyone else had this surgery? Is this pain normal? Thank you in advance- Sarah.

@I'vegotthis! I have not had this surgery but I can imagine you would be sore just from the incision and any manipulation done during surgery to get to the muscles and trochanter. There is going to be some swelling for at least a few days. When I had my arthroscopic surgery for my tendon release, it was very sore for some days afterward so I can sympathize. Like with THR, icing and elevation helped relieve my pain. I think it would help you as well. Hopefully, you can get the nurses to get an ice pack for you. Just make sure you have a cloth between it and your skin. Blessings that this surgery does the trick in getting you back to a good healing and recovery!

I am 4 week post abductor surgery and am still in a lot of pain. This feels worse than the actual hip replacement surgery! Does anyone know if this is normal? I can’t really find much information but don’t want to seem dramatic! Any advice is appreciated

Hi @I'vegotthis! , I am so sorry that you are in a lot of pain...
Maybe talk to your doctor to see if the medication needs to be adjusted? Also, have you tried icing (Ice has an analgesic effect) ?

Hope your pain lessens soon and you get a smooth journey on the road to recovery!

Just after advice - 5 week post op. Does this look infected? It’s very different to my last two incisions but isn’t particularly warm just very tender to touch. Don’t see surgeon for 2 weeks but don’t want to visit A&E if not needed. Advice appreciated.

1667098395916.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you take another photo of it? It's very hard to see. If you have any doubts, take another photo and send it to your doctor. He would be much better able to diagnose it than we are

You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Thank you for merging- I thought because it was a new topic it needed a new thread. Not so sure if these pics help at all. Any advice appreciated.

1667098678911.png
1667098748394.png

Here is a link to Krista's thread, she had a gluteal mm repair.
Krista's thread

Signs of an infection are Redness, Pain, Temperature, and Swelling.

I agree with Jockette, if you are concerned send your surgeon a photo.

Recovery from this type of surgery can involve a lot more pain than a hip replacement because it is dealing only with your soft tissues and there is a significant amount of tissue manipulation that's done. It likely is going to heal differently than your hip replacement and you really should not try to compare the two procedures.

Your incision is a bit red, but if it's not warm to the touch or oozing fluid, it's likely okay. However, I agree that if it concerns you, contact your surgeon's office and email a photo for him. Better to have your mind eased than worry for weeks. In the coming two weeks, keep a watch to see if the redness spreads or anything changes with the wound. That would be a clue to definitely contact your surgeon.

Thank you for your kind reply it puts me at ease and I’ll see how I go. I see the surgeon soon so unless it gets any worse I should manage but I’ll keep my eye on it. I didn’t know about it being such a different operation as there isn't much information out there on it! It was good to read Krista’s thread detailing her recovery. Again thank you for your response.

I have been to see my surgeon who has suggested a nerve treatment medication to help me get respite from burning, tingling leg pain which is keeping me awake most nights. The doctor has given me Pregabalin which I have started to take. There is no real relief as yet. Can anyone advise any other ways to relieve this? Have others suffered? If so how long did it last?
Thank you as always for any advice it’s appreciated.

:hi: I don't have any personal experience with Pregabalin (Lyrica) though I have seen members on the forum who have been prescribed this medication.

From what I read results may vary... The literature says it begins working right away but for some people it may take several weeks to feel the pain-relieving effects. :sad:
Also, from what I read, dosage may start low but may need to be adjusted.
If you are not feeling the pain relief you expect, contact your doctor, who may need to adjust your dose or reassess your pain level.

I do hope you start getting some relief.

Good evening- please feel free to change my thread to winge bag, pest or still struggling! .
I am massively struggling still after my 3rd operation. I have so much weakness after 2 years on crutches that I have limited range of movement on top of nerve pain which is relentless at night. I have had my Pregabalin dose increased to 50mg 3 x a day. I am still on two crutches out of the house and unable to work. My physio this week suggested the hydrotherapy pool- has anyone found this helpful at all? Is it worth trying? Also any suggestions or advice especially from anyone that has had hip pinning, then a hip replacement then a fractured femur, abductor muscle reattachment and nerve problems would be really appreciated as I am beginning to get really down and frustrated with my lack of progress. Thank you in advance.

My goodness, this is a lot, I'm so sorry you are still struggling.
I think the water therapy would be very soothing. Both my sons have pools and after 3-4 month mark I sat in shallow end near the jets and it was very relaxing, not sure how medicinal it was but it did feel good.
I didn't have jets directly hitting my surgical area just my back, still felt great!
Hope things improve, you've been through a lot.

Oh dear, you've been through so much and I think you are whingeing at all (love that word).
We could change your title if you really want to update it, but you aren't a pest, either. Maybe struggling but I bet you've still got this.

I think the pool would be so soothing and helpful, if you start off slowly and cautiously. Then maybe following that by ice and rest? I base that on the fact that I opted to swim during the painful, pre op stage (left hip) and it helped me so much.
I would be in pain immediately after but then it would just improve and continue to improve. Please take note that I didn't do it cautiously and slowly. Duh! On me.

Wishing for better days ahead! :flwrysmile:

Thank you for you kind words @myglasshalffull @CricketHip. At least I still have my sense of humour! That they can’t take away ☺️. I am waiting on the surgeon coming back to me re a place at a hospital hydro pool but today have re joined my local hotel gym which has a small warm pool and a hot tub so that will do for now! I’ll give it all a try and start slowly like you say @CricketHip. If nothing else it should mean a relax a little and spoil myself. Thanks for the support guys really appreciated x

You are welcome! My concern , after some pondering, is whether you will be able to navigate in and out of the pool. Hopefully they have a graduated entry/exit and you won't need to wrestle the pool ladder?

Yes, what CricketHip said is something to think about, if you have to struggle to get out of the pool take that into consideration, I had my partner with me and there are steps in the pools I used but still needed a little assistance getting out, you can slide easily and last thing you want is to fall.
Let us know how it goes, hope you get some relief.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom