BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[THR] Gloveguy’s Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by gloveguy, Dec 3, 2018 at 7:51 PM.

1. gloveguy

gloveguy junior member

Canada Canada
    Well, I’ve made it to the recovery forum and am happy to be here.

I had RTHR, posterior approach, on November 30. My surgery started at approx. 11:30am and I was wheeled into recovery at 1:00pm. I had a spinal block with light sedation, under the recommendation of my anaesthetist, and I’m glad I went that route. I was wide awake in recovery while my vitals were monitored, etc. I did wake up during surgery 2 or 3 times, to hear sawing and hammering, but I was made aware that that was a possibility heading in to the OR.
    I was moved to my room in he orthopaedic ward at approx. 3:30pm and I spent 1 night in hospital before being discharged at 4:30pm in December 1.

I’m just finishing my 2nd full day at home and I think everything is going well. I’ve decided to lay off of most of my recommended P/T exercises until week 2, and just go for a 5 minutes walk every couple of hours. I’m sleeping in our large recliner in the living room... yeah that’s right... I’m actually sleeping!!! At this point, just being able to sleep at night is worth going through surgery! Baby steps, right?

When I stand up to go for my walks, the only “pain” I feel is directly around and inside the operation area, where all the cutting and drilling took place, but it’s not nearly as severe or intense as the bone-in-bone pain I was dealing with for at least 1 year leading into surgery! It’s more of a “stiff”, “achy” feeling, which, I’m assuming is quite normal at this time of year. I’m also icing and elevating on a fairly regular basis, but I might ramp that up in the next few days, too. The incision zone looks very clean at this point, too.

Anyway, I think that’s it. I’ll check in often for updates and continue to follow the ever-informative threads I’ve been reading in this awesome forums for we “hippies!”

• Like Like x 2
  2. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hey @gloveguy Congratulations and welcome to the healing side. Nice to be home in your own comfortable surroundings. So nice to be rid of the OA pain. With all the rain we had in southern BC last week, the hips would have been really painful without this amazing surgery. I'm feeling really thankful for the gift of new hips :yes!:.

Have a comfortable evening!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Congratulations and Welcome to Recovery! :welome:
    Happy to hear you're sleeping well. Keep up with the icing, it really helps with the pain and swelling.
    Stop back often, we'd love to follow your healing journey and support you along the way.

Following are the Recovery Guidelines, please take the time to read them, I believe you'll find them informative.
    Wishing you comfort and a peaceful night.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @gloveguy

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I felt the same way just being able to lie down without horrid hip pain, nevermind the sleeping.
    Hope you are resting easy.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. SwampHiker

SwampHiker graduate

Sleep really is amazing! Sounds like everything is going well. :SUNsmile:

Edited to add this after reading your post below. Oops looks like I spoke too soon..... @Jamesdean can surely help.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018 at 7:35 AM
  6. gloveguy

gloveguy junior member

Canada Canada
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. It’s great to have this online support group, for sure!

Not to be too graphic, but when should I expect my first PostOp bowel movement? I had one just before PreOp but nothing since. I’m always very regular in that department, so, I’m just wondering if this is common?

I’ve upped my protein intake, as recommended by my OS nutritionist, but I’ve also been hydrating well and having ample fruit. They did give me a package with a laxative in it when I left the hospital, but I haven’t used it yet.

Thoughts? Experiences?

7. gloveguy

gloveguy junior member

Canada Canada
    I should mention that I don’t feel “bound-up” at this point, I just thought I’d ask what I should be expecting, here, lol! I’m assuming this is a result of meds and the operation itself?

8. tessa

tessa junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there! I also had my op at 11.30 on Monday ( UK time) however I only came home yesterday.
    I was prescribed lactulose and have taken that regularly, particularly since I am taking codeine. I have just managed to go! Don’t feel like eating much though!

9. Jamesdean

Jamesdean senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have you read War and Peace? I suggest that you take that in with you. Eventually it will happen and should it all work quickly I can tell you how the book ends.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

Took 4 days for me and I didn't feel particularly bound up either before things got going again. I took a stool softener daily while I was on oxy as well as lots of water, fruit, etc. Constipation is a well-known side effect of taking opioids. I think I was advised that if I didn't "go" within a week, to call the surgeon's office.

If it gets really bad there are some Bonesmart "recipes" that I've seen on other posts. Recommended only as a last resort lol!

• Like Like x 1
  11. gloveguy

gloveguy junior member

Canada Canada
    Good to know, thanks for the replies.
    I’m not a big reader but I am familiar with War and Peace and mentioning that book, in relation to this topic, gives me a clearer understanding of what to expect, lol!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

I was given Miralax at the hospital and continued it at home. I was a regular fellow by the 2nd day and didn't have any problems. For me the biggest problem was the raised toilet seat. Diet is very important for the recovery as your body has had a major trauma.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gloveguy

gloveguy junior member

Canada Canada
    What was problematic about the raised toilet seat? Was it because of it being a less comfortable position to actually “do the deed?”

14. hiphoser

hiphoser junior member

My cocktail for success: Prune Juice+Colace+Senokot.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Layla

Hi, Happy Tuesday to you!
    Here is an article FYI on Constipation from the BoneSmart Library -
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/constipation-and-stool-softeners.4899/

If it becomes a problem here are some ideas that have been previously mentioned on the forum -

Pumpkin Purée has been suggested as a cure for Constipation.
    With Pumpkin Puree' being the ONLY ingredient in the can.
    Cinnamon can be sprinkled on top.

Taking Psyllium husk has also been mentioned as an option.

This is the "Bomb" recipe for anyone Brave (or Desperate) enough to use it.
    • one dose liquid milk of magnesia in an 8 oz. measuring cup
    • fill to 8 oz. mark with prune juice
    • Add 1 Tbsp. dark Karo syrup
    • Heat in microwave
    • Enjoy.
    The Candy Apple
    • one dose of MoM in an 8 oz. measuring cup
    • fill to 8 oz. mark with apple juice
    • spoonful of brown sugar
    • Heat in microwave
    • Enjoy
    Thoughts on the Bomb:
    • Beware starting this recipe if you've only purchased Cherry Flavored MoM
    • DH got "100% Prune Juice" as opposed to the store brand kind where (though it said 100% Prune Juice, the first ingredient was Water, which made DH deem if unacceptable) :bignono: The consistency of the PJ he got was very thick/syrupy.
    • I think the idea of the Karo was to sweeten the pot.... but with the cherry flavor and the Karo the resulting hot drink was sickeningly sweet and had the texture of hot beef gravy.
    Thoughts on the Candy Apple:

• I didn't make this, but if I were going to - I'd get the regular MoM
    • Buy the cheapest Apple Juice you can find...
    • I would error on the side of too little brown sugar, at least to start.

I hope you have a good week!
    @gloveguy

16. Bone-obo

Bone-obo senior

I was 6 days out from surgery before the resumption of regular output. This was in spite of a healthy appetite, no perception of constipation, and daily doses of Miralax. At one point, I began to seriously consider the possibility that my innards had become a Tardis. Patience!

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. gloveguy

gloveguy junior member

Canada Canada
    Thanks for the feedback. I’m getting some signs that things may be moving, although nothing outwardly, yet.
    “Patience” seems to be the theme of the whole recovery exercise, which I’m fine with.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Layla

Gotta love that Bone-obo. "Resumption of regular output" :heehee: That's a unique way of describing it.
    Here's to your output regulating soon @gloveguy :cheers:

19. gloveguy

gloveguy junior member

Canada Canada
    @Layla, yeah I thought that was the quote of the thread, thus far!

20. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

To start with I used a toilet riser, a big plastic ring with side handles that clamped on the toilet. Let's just say the opening wasn't big enough for all of the equipment. A few days in and I found a bedside commode which was able to fit over the toilet and was adjustable with handles and an independent seat. That was a big improvement.