Separate names with a comma.
Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool
We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.
Read more about this
in this announcement:
Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by angelbskts, Jan 31, 2019.
I wasn't referring to national differences. I would feel the same if I were in the US!!
I didn't even realize you weren't in the US. What I was referring to is that we live in a somewhat small town and most of the Drs here are on the younger side or very short term. He has been here about 4 years but his partner in his office I wouldn't take my dog to.
I have sent a message to the one in Texas and hubby and I discussed it with my daughter that if we need to we can go down one day and spend the night, go to the Dr the next day and spend another night before coming home. I will check in the one in OKC as that is doable.
The only reason we even went to the one we did was because he was local but my husband went to him a couple of years ago with trouble in his knee replacement that was done by the guy's partner. Didn't like him then and don't like him now.
Well in that case, you are wise to consider your plan.
I really appreciate all the info you ladies are giving me. I am so worried about her and didn't know what to do
Well finally got in to see Dr. Jacobs in OKC this week. After having 2 seizures during xrays and scaring the xray tech to death all xrays were taken and we saw a dr. He ordered even more xrays to make sure that the leg itself wasn't fractured as it was discovered that due to being non weight bearing she has osteoportic bones. Long story short there isn't anything they can do. She has no hip socket at all and due to a bone graft failure isn't a candidate to try and build one as it would fail again.
They recommended that she see a pain management team to help her with the pain but nothing else. So we are making more adjustments here at home to hopefully gain back a bit of her independence like a lower profile bed so she can transfer herself etc. Thanks for all the help.
I am so sorry there isn't more they can do to help your daughter. It seems terribly unfair and I am sure you are all feeling terribly deflated as you come to terms with the surgeons diagnosis.
I find this difficult to understand. I've never known that situation to arise. A good hip surgeon would be able to sort that out.
The fact that she also has osteoportic bones doesn't help the issue. She was actually expecting that they wouldn't be able to help. I on the other hand am struggling with it. Mom is supposed to be able to fix things and this is one that I can't fix no matter how much I want to.
I'm so sorry for your desperation in trying to help your daughter.
My heart aches for her...and you.
When one door closes, another one opens.
Take a breather...but don't give up.
Jo has faith and so do I.
No, it doesn't make any difference. They can use bone graft to shore things up and it works very, very well. Keep looking for another hip surgeon until you find one that's willing to try. It CAN be done, trust me.
Moms don't quit either. I as a mom would take some time to rethink the situation and come up with a different avenue to contact more surgeons. I would probably keep looking with husband, send xrays via internet. Keep looking, persistent will pay off. Maybe hit up some medical universities for info. My daughter has severe allergies and she gets discouraged and quits looking for relief, for a time. We all get tired of our situations and the struggle for help, however we are geared to keep persisting. Give your daughter time to regain her courage, while you keep fighting for her. My mama spirit is with you.
This was a university hospital setting as well. We have now been to 3 different ones and contacted others but will always keep looking. Thing is that each negative result destroys her emotional stability all over again. I also have to look out for her mental status as well
I am truly sorry. Forgive me for hurting you.
Oh dear no you didn't hurt me. It is difficult to decide which way to go to be honest. one way it hurts her physically and the other it hurts her emotionally. I am a mama bear big time and am trying the best I can for her with limited things I can do. The trip on Monday was pure agony for her then adding in the 2 seizures that she had she was down for several days. not sure how much more she can handle at this point till we get a better transport for her.