Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR Ginnygirl's Recovery Thread

Ginnygirl

Country
United States United States
Hello!
I’m 53 yrs old, I had THR on Jan. 16th (anterior) I’ve been doing real good with my recovery! I had been going to the gym prior to surgery! (Only about 6 weeks though) weight lifting and about 15 minutes on the treadmill!
I’ve been cane free for a good 2 weeks now and go outside and feed my anaimals and do some walking down the road! Just trying to concentrate on not limping! My knee seems to hurt a lot! Hoping that goes away soon?
my concern.... yesterday I was noticing some foot prints in a ditch that runs behind our home leading to my chicken coop! So I got on top of a so called bridge, to take a closer look! Well... I lost my balance, and instead of letting myself just fall in a unsafe way, and end up on the ground, I caught myself and jumped down with both feet landing together! (It was only about 2feet down) Thank goodness my husband was close by, he got me out without putting any more stress on my hip! I probably should be asking my Dr. But.. has anyone done anything similar? I didn’t feel anything that leads me to think I’ve dislocated it! I immediately came in the house and put my feet up and iced it! ☹ Which I’ve not had to do for a couple of weeks now! Today I went out and fed anaimals and took my walk again, I feel like I’m a little stiffer again, and a little less agile! My thigh hurts some too. (Which had finally gone away too) and my inside of thigh is tender as well. I’m just wondering if I should get in for another X-ray, or just give it some time to see if it gets better!

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Ginnygirl - and :welome:

So that you post didn't take the other thread off track, I have moved your post and started a recovery thread for you.

Please continue to post about your recovery and ask questions in this thread from now on.

It's only a month since your surgery and this is a year-long recovery. I think you're doing too much, too soon. Lifting weights is definitely "out" for quite a long time yet, and climbing up by the chicken coop should be out as well. You got away with ti this time, but next time you might not be so lucky.

Here are the recovery guidelines we give to everyone with a new hip:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
You seem to be doing pretty well. An achy knee is a common complaint post op. I'd suggest icing it several times a day, for no less than 45-60 minutes each time. It will help with pain and also any residual swelling you may have.

In regard to limping, here's a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes. It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Regarding the incident you experienced, I'd ice any areas of discomfort for an additional day or two unless the pain increases in intensity, or frequency at which point I'd contact my surgeon. From the activity you described it seems you're lucky you didn't suffer more serious consequences. Please stay safe and take it slow. It's still very early days for you in a recovery that can take a full year. There is a lot of internal healing happening.

You may want to follow the Activity Progression For THR as a rough gauge to keep yourself out of trouble in these early weeks. I'd hate to see you suffer a very painful dislocation.

Have a great rest of the week! :)
@Ginnygirl

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Ginnygirl, believe me, you would know if you had dislocated your hip. The pain would be excruciating. Since you're not having any pain standing or walking on your hip, I'd say you dodged a bullet -- this time. Please make a big sign and put it on your fridge to remind you that you've had MAJOR SURGERY. Although modern medicine has allowed you to recover to the point where you feel pretty good in just a few weeks, you're NOT healed. You need to take things easy for at least a few months. And no climbing on anything or doing anything where you risk a fall. We want you to reach your one-year anniversary with no problems....:)

The Activity Progression link Layla provided above should be your guide to activity.

Hippielife

Country
Sending healing blessings your way. Take it slow, before you know it life will be back to normal.
Rest,ice, light exercise and remember to eat good healthy meals. Healing takes lots of calories ,try protein shakes.... they always helped me to feel better.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well, Ginny. Please share updates whenever the mood strikes. We'd love to follow your progress. It's also inspirational for those following behind you.
Happy Sunday....have a great week!
@Ginnygirl

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: @Ginnygirl
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Tell us something good when you’re feeling up to it. We’re all ears.:)
Wishing you all the best with hopes we hear from you soon.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
KateT
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom