TKR Gingerbread's RTKR Recovery Marathon

Just for clarity, my practitioner suggested I double the recommended dose (which is 2 capsules daily) to 2 capsules twice daily, morning and night. So I purchase the 120 count bottle monthly.

It's fine to give the name of a product that is beneficial to you. That's helpful information for others.

But I'll caution anyone who would like to try this or other supplements to please coordinate that with your surgeon and/or your GP. Any supplements you take should always be included in your medical records and discussed with your doctors so avoid any potential interactions with other meds you take.

Question about the Covid-19 immunization.
I have not received it yet. I have a history of adverse reaction to Flu shot, so the only shots I do accept recently have been Tdap booster.
I also have an over-active inflammatory response, and a history of cancer. Both of these factors (and thankfully not having a work mandate due to working remotely) have made me leery of obtaining it.
If possible, would anyone please be able to share their experience with the vaccination (type/boosters?) if taken either right before or after your knee replacement?
I want to take it at some point but don't want to possibly impair my recovery.
Thank you in advance!
P.S. I can't reply today as my grandson is on his way over as I type. It will be a long fun day :)

@Gingerbread I got my booster 2 weeks before surgery. No reaction but I didn’t have one for first 2 either. I don’t see why it would affect recovery. mRNA vaccines are very different from flu vaccine that caused you problems. If you have an over active immune system you might be sick for 24 hours or so. Have you discussed with your primary care doctor? You should talk to him/her since then know your medical history. Virtual visits are great if available.

@hawk2go just got her booster and had an interesting experience. Maybe she can come by and respond.

I got the Pfizer 2 dose and booster. I had no noticeable immune response with dose #1, got really sleepy and rudown feeling with does #2 and high fever with body aches with dose #3. I had to prove vaccinate in advance of scheduling and get a Covid test within 2 days of surgery.

I don't have any of the challenges general vaccination challenges that you mention and get a flu and pneumonia vaccinations as scheduled.

I had Pfizer booster 5 days before surgery, nothing bar a sore arm muscle for Hubby, our very elderly neighbour nor me. Our daughter has inflammatory problems, and was fine with her initial course of two. She now has covid, a week before her booster appt., and feels a bit rough but is not bedbound. She is very grateful that she had the vaccine.

I have never had a flu shot because I have histamine intolerance and have an allergic reaction to many things, including medications. My inflammation levels are extremely high. I took a chance with the Pfizer vaccine in March after extensive research and had minimal side effects after both shots—arm soreness, body aches, dizziness, tiredness. I had my booster in September and had a little tiredness and arm soreness. My surgery was the same day as yours. I noticed no effect on my knee after the booster. I understand your concern. I was scared to death and the first 30 minutes after the first shot were not pleasant as I waited to see whether I would go into anaphylaxis. The 2nd shot was easier mentally, and the booster was a breeze. Good luck!

Update on my Covid vaccination.
Yesterday I received the J&J shot. No appreciable issues until 2 a.m. I got up to use the bathroom and began shaking uncontrollably, teeth chattering as if they could shatter out of my mouth, pain as if I was stabbed in the mid abdomen. I dropped to the floor and wanted to vomit but had nothing in my stomach.
My husband helped me back to bed, where it eventually subsided and I was able to take acetaminophen and ibuprofen and drink water as my mouth was also dry as cotton. I could not fall back asleep for 2 hours.
Today I have general malaise and bad headache. I am glad this is the "one and done".
Although recommendations are always changing, I am not on board with another shot any time soon :(

I'm sorry you had such a bad reaction! I'm not in any hurry to get the booster. I felt pretty awful after my second Moderna last year. I want my knee to heal a bit more before I get it just in case the vaccine settles there as an easy target.

I'm scheduled for my booster of Moderna on Tuesday with the rest of the family. I was a little tired after the second one so hope all goes well

I'm scheduled for my booster of Moderna on Tuesday with the rest of the family. I was a little tired after the second one so hope all goes well
Praying all goes well for you! :)

I'm sorry you had such a bad reaction! I'm not in any hurry to get the booster. I felt pretty awful after my second Moderna last year. I want my knee to heal a bit more before I get it just in case the vaccine settles there as an easy target.
I agree about the shot "settling in" to our affected joints. Right now my knee is a bit worse but my head is throbbing and body aches. Not generally anything that ever happens to me except with flu.

I had a Pfizer booster a couple of months back with nothing other than a slightly sore arm. I don’t think then that I would have noticed whether my knees were affected, as they were still unpredictably sore anyway.
However, had the flu jab a couple of days ago, and my knees were sore and achey that evening for no apparent reason. Did wonder about the jab causing it.

So these new knees really are strong!
I did an old Ballet Barre routine I haven't done in a few years. I haven't been able to do a plie' squat on my tip toes (holding the move while doing upper body sequences) without my right leg shaking like an earthquake was occurring. Well, today I did it without hesitation, on tiptoes, no shaking! :) :loveshwr: :egypdance:
Progress is being made!!

Well here it is about 6 1/2 months post op for me.
Looking back, what a roller coaster ride!
My day to day life is nearly 100% better. I go up and down stairs no problem. All day to day activities are back to normal.
What I do notice, and is bothersome, is numbness. When I am exercising,(specifically mat exercises) if I go onto my knees, the affected knee feels annoyingly numb and not painful, but uncomfortable. Trying to put weight on it for any amount of time is not optimal, certainly not something I choose at this time. Other than that, no numbness. I can almost pull my foot to my butt again (during a quad stretch). Funny how my MD & PT were certain I should have a MUA. I shudder to think where I'd be if I had listened...
I have been tempted to jump, hop, skip, even run, as my knee is as strong as an ox now and I love it!
I rolled over in bed and knocked my hubby with it and he now calls it "The Club" LOL!!
If I had to do it over again, I would have had less aggressive PT, and been kinder to myself. Time and gentle movements healed me, not the aggressive torture I went through.

I’m glad you are doing so well! And at “only” 6.5 months :wowspring:You will probably be even better at a year!

Funny how my MD & PT were certain I should have a MUA. I shudder to think where I'd be if I had listened...
I agree. Your early issues were swelling and inflammation, from the abusive PT you had. I don’t understand why medical teams don’t see this.

Hi Gingerbread! :wave: Nice to see you again. So glad you are doing so well. Yeah, that numbness and uncomfortable kneeling are totally normal and it will get better with time. I don't remember exactly when it happened but all the feeling eventually came back into my right knee after awhile, it might have been a couple of years but it did.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back