TKR Gingerbread's RTKR Recovery Marathon

Much to my surprise, today was my unofficial/official last day of PT!:spin:
I walked in and they said "You have exhausted your 20 insurance visits, you'll have to pay out of pocket for today" (would have been nice to know in advance, but they only charged $30 so that wasn't bad at all).
I measured 100 when bending after the bike too, with minimal discomfort:wow:
They seemed to think I was coming back Thursday and I said nope, I'm good. I can do the exercises at home, thanks! And out the door I went... I cannot justify spending $60 a week on 2 visits when I can do the exercises (which I already do) in the comfort of my home while watching TV :)
Today was first time driving independently also, as my knee is finally not too swollen where I am comfortable knowing I have full control in case of an emergency.
Things are looking up!

After tomorrow I only have two more weeks of PT scheduled. I'm not sure if I can have more appointments after that or not so we'll see.....

Congrats to being done with PT!! :yay:

I finished my in home PT on the 24th with 106 degrees ROM and have decided not to go to outside PT until after I have gained my complete ROM. The last thing I want to do is start working on strength while my knee is still sore and healing. Today I measured at 120 and 0, so it looks as if that was not a bad idea. It’s possible I’ll decide not to do outside PT at all.

Thanks @Susie-Q and @SZone for relaying what's going on with your PT journeys as well! Great news for both of you.
I have a general question. My PT said as a rule you never want to bend the knee replacement past 120, that it's not meant to go that far. I never (or at least haven't been paying attention!) heard that. I have been looking forward to being able to stretch my quad back the way I used to... Pulling my toes to my rear end. I am terrified of even attempting that once the swelling is gone in a few months but also scared that I'll be at the end of a workout and it'll just come like second nature and I'll dislocate my knee!?!?
Can that happen??!! Oh dear.

Hi Ginger. I have that fear too. Like you, I was very flexible pre ops and used to pull my legs right up under my backside and hook my heels under to read in bed, watch tv etc., and enjoyed the stretch feeling. And also sat on my heels a lot with gardening. Well one of mine, on a good day, goes back to within an inch of my backside now and the other about 3 inches out, then there’s a blocking sensation.
My OS said that it’s probably the maximum achievable, and never try to force it any further or try to sit on my heels, otherwise it may cause dislocation. This has both disappointed and frightened me, as my lifestyle is such that I am likely to do this inadvertently at some stage.
I wish I had researched more beforehand and ensured that I received high flex implants..
I am missing the stretching too, but I’m going to have to learn to live with this. Makes me envious when I read about others who are able to sit on their heels eventually.

My OS said that I need to bend 122 degrees. He said, and I have read elsewhere, that a replacement knee will not bend past that. However, I have seen comments on here that some have bent to 130, and I read an article that said, “For those fully recovered, ideal flexion is around 125-135 (give or take a little on either end).” You may not be able to pull your toes to your rear end, but sometimes compromises are necessary.

@Ghostpipe and @wander03 thank you for your insight. I am going to ask my OS at my next appointment (October 27- 5 days past my 3 month mark) what he thinks.
I asked him pre-surgery if I could do "figure four" stretch post surgery and he said I can do all my yoga, pilates, ballet barre poses afterwards. I don't think he knows how flexible I am though.... Now I'm anxiously waiting for this appointment!
It's ok though. No going back now. My new knee is much stronger than the old that's for sure and I'll do what's necessary to keep it that way.
Moderators: is there a way to add my implant to my signature? I have a Stryker. Thank you :)

…Then yesterday afternoon, I suddenly was able to peddle forward. Stunted at first, then smooth and rhythmic, like normal! My PT and husband were shocked and frankly so was I….

Wow! That’s wonderful! I loved it when those sudden spurts of progress would happen, too!
Hooray for you and your new baby knee! The light at the end of the tunnel!

I have a Stryker implant too. :cheers:

I have never been able to bend my knees that far to be able to sit on them (maybe when I was a child?) and have even had trouble sitting cross-legged on the floor for years now. I just can't bend my knees that far. I can make up for that by having very flexible hamstrings, I can bend over and touch the floor, even put my palm flat on the floor. When I read about people needing those grabber sticks post-op to pick up stuff dropped to the floor I realized right away I would never need it as I could bend down to the floor to pick up something right away. That's my only trick! That, and I can birth big babies with no C-section. :spin: My son and firstborn was 10 lbs 5.5oz and 23 in long!

Yesterday I entered the ODIC again (overdid it club).
Walked the dog 3 times instead of the normal 2. 7 minutes on the bike. Intermittent PT stretches. That would have all been good but I just had to see if I could incorporate a 30 minute "beginner" low impact YouTube video also.
I've been exercising since my teens so a beginner workout is " nothing" to me. Ha! Tell that to my knee. It doth protest much all night LOL!! Even ice and NSAIDS didn't allay the pain. Now I know, go slower and do LESS.
It just felt so good to move again.

I have a question for regular exercisers and the moderators with knowledge in this subject:
Is it safe to do weighted dead-lifts post TKR? Today I did a short workout and incorporated 2 minutes of this exercise, holding only 10 lbs.
This is one of my favorite exercises and it did not cause me discomfort. I felt a bit numb in the knee while doing it, which surprised me, but I had as full ROM after as I did prior.
I have read these types of exercises, along with weighted squats and lunges (more of my favorites), are "no-no's" after TKR.
Any advice/experience is appreciated!

Lifting weights after a TKR can put stress on your knee joint and many surgeons will recommend that you not lift heavy weights. Have you asked your surgeon about this? It would be especially important to tell him how heavy you would like to go as more weight equals more stress.

Some people have returned to lifting weights. If you want to try it, you are starting off right by only lifting a light weight. You would want to work up to heavier amounts VERY slowly over a long period of time (like months). I wouldn't recommend you starting this weight progression until you are at least 6 months out from your surgery, though. You're still healing.

@Jamie Thank you so much for this information.
This is what I have found when researching; the max I have used when exercising historically is 20 lbs. Doesn't sound like a lot but it kept me in shape over the years but probably contributed to my knee and lumbar spine deterioration due to poor body mechanics (compensating for pain, etc).
I will talk to my doctor and I'll be ok if I have to go lighter from now on.
As I'm turning 50 I'm starting to realize some things just need to stay in the past. I'm not competing with anyone but myself!

How are you feeling today after doing those weights? I'm curious.....

@Gingerbread.....I see that you registered for OneStep but didn't download the app and start the program. I suggest you do that to ensure that your "learned" gait when compensating for pain isn't continuing into your recovery. We have modified the program for our BoneSmarties so that members who sign up through our OneStep page will receive not only the 15% discount on the program for up to 6 months, but also 2 free weeks at the beginning so you can see how the program can benefit you. If you're interested, just register once again and give it a test drive.

How are you feeling today after doing those weights? I'm curious.....
Hi @Susie-Q !
I feel okay. Was on my feet a lot today as my husband & I hosted a family birthday party. Had to get in the recliner after a while and elevate. Was still able to walk the dog the second time just now so all things considered I think the weights are something I can continue (in moderation), but not until after I talk to my surgeon Wednesday.

Yesterday was 3 month ( well 3 months and 5 days ) check up with my surgeon.
He is happy with my progress. He now says there is new literature suggesting MUA can be done, if needed, successfully as late as 2-3 years post op. This isn't what he was saying a month ago.... Regardless, I am moving along nicely with the exception of severe pain after overdoing it occasionally.
There will be no MUA now or in the future.
I asked about the weighted dead lifts. He was laughing and said "most of the people I see just want to walk to the corner store and church" but gave me the all clear to use lighter weights to tolerance. :)
He was just happy I am not having any more complications!

Sounds like a great meeting with your surgeon and good advice for you. I'm happy to hear that!

The information he provided you about MUA's is what we've seen with our BoneSmarties for years. Of course it's not as good as scientific studies, but I'm pleased to see the scientific world is coming around to what we've witnessed with our members. Sometimes a bit of patience is much more effective than an MUA.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom