TKR Gingerbread's RTKR Recovery Marathon

Hi Gingerbread may I ask what make of CBD 2500 topical did you buy? There are so many on the market I am not sure what manufacturer to buy from?

Hi Gingerbread may I ask what make of CBD 2500 topical did you buy? There are so many on the market I am not sure what manufacturer to buy from?
I bought from a local retailer; they produce their own. They do have a website but I hesitate to provide it because I also purchased from their website and then began receiving hundreds of junk mail and a notice on my credit report that my email & part of my address had been discovered on the dark web! I contacted the retailer and they adamantly dispute that they had anything to do with it but it is too coincidental. I have to find another CBD provider now as well.

I discharged myself from PT when I was more swollen and painful after the first visit. I never looked back and have had great results. Your knee will be getting all the exercise it needs just being back at work.

Anyone have their PT tell them they would have to keep going until they were functional with stairs, etc...? Mine is giving me basically a 3-6 more month timeframe!
I asked my PT on Thursday when I would be discharged. It's nearly 2 months since surgery. I did have the week reprieve due to the ER visit, however, I am a bit past 90 degrees flexion and peddling the bike without difficulty.

As long as you feel you can do the PT exercises on your own that help you I see no reason to go to in person PT. I found during my last visits at the PT I was doing all exercises on my own anyway while the PT bounced between other patients and entering stuff on their laptop. At ~$450 a visit, they are most likely under pressure to keep patients coming back as long as possible.

My improvement sped up once I did not have to do X sets of X reps for X number of exercises no matter how my knee felt. Now, at home I picked the 5 or 6 exercises that seem to help me most and do as many of few of them as needed.

Especially since I am resuming work this week, I don't have time for these twice weekly sessions. I have a laundry list of exercises they want me to do twice daily... That's hysterical. They take almost 45 minutes for the first round! There's no way I ever do them twice, and no way that's happening when I resume work.

My at home list I received from PT included 15 different exercises. All of them 3 sets of 5 holding each for 10 seconds. I am supposed to do this exercise routine 3 times a day. Then I was to ice and elevate 3 to 4 times a day for and hour each time.

Doing the math, I would need to spend 8+ hours rehabbing and elevating per day!

As mentioned above, instead I do the most helpful 5 or 6 exercises each day - 1 time. I also will stop occasionally through the day and do some random knee bending stretch to try to keep the knee loose as possible. I ice after the main set of exercises and before bed.

I have chipped my lower left molar. I discovered it late last week. I wear a mouth guard at night but have been negligent in this recovery phase with wearing it nightly. Apparently I ground that piece right out...
For anyone with antibiotic questions, I now know my protocol. Amoxicillin 4: 500 mg tabs one hour before procedure. And yes they are horse pills... Bleech. Oh well at least I am able to get it fixed. I am blessed for that! I am also weaning myself off Tramadol which is dreadful at times, as the crushing bone pain persists sometimes at night. I didn't think it was doing anything for me but it must have been. I stopped it in the daytime today and was pretty uncomfortable. CBD helped somewhat so hoping time will help as well. Going to do another week only at bedtime then none. I'm down to only 25 mg.

When I had my first knee done my surgeon said I would have to take antibiotics prior to dental work for 2 years. He promptly retired about 6 months after he did my knee. My next doc said I would have to take it for life. He retired a couple of years ago. New doc who did my current TKR, antibiotics for life. I've been taking those 4 horse pills prior to every dental cleaning for 11 years so I feel ya. Sorry about your chipped tooth! :dubious:

How was your appointment with the surgeon today? Hope it went better than mine.

2 month check up today!
Doctor hesitantly pleased with my progress. Wants another visit in 4 weeks, said may offer a MUA at that time but also agreed that it's my body and he won't force the issue since I am improving :)
I showed off and did a few sit to stands with arms outstretched in front of me to show I have no problem with those... Discussed my abilities on the bike. He was genuinely happy and so am I honestly. I finally see more light at the end of this tunnel.

Great news on your surgeon visit. Yuck on needing a dental procedure. Yes, I take those 4 pills an hour prior to the dentist also. Both the dentist and surgeon said "for life" so that's what I'll do. They do give me awful heartburn, but I'd much rather have heart burn than an infection.

Seems like your coming along. Be sure to not over do things. It is so easy to do and then you set yourself up for more pain. Been there done that!

That’s awesome, when did you start doing sit to stand? That must be difficult!
Last week. "Luckily" I have naturally big thighs (lol) and have always done squats and lunges (pilates/yoga/weight training/Ballet Barre) to keep them in check so it came rather easy.
That's one thing I cannot wait to get back to doing is my low impact exercises on my own terms. PT is boring as heck to me. My instructors could be my children (hahaha) they are so young so it's hard to take them seriously sometimes. At this point I'm almost done though so that's ok!
Now, if I could beat this insomnia. I'm working again, had the surgeon and dentist today and yet here I am awake at 2 a. m. Have to get up in 3 and 1/2 hours. Anyone have any helpful hints besides Melatonin, etc? Probably just patience at this point...

Sounds like you are under medicated at night. Have you tried Tylenol before going to bed? Taking an ice pack to bed might also help ease the sleep problems.

I found Magnesium with Melatonin to be helpful, BUT didn’t really start sleeping well till about 4 months from surgery :tantrum:

How about some Tylenol PM? That will give you the pain relief and something to help you sleep.

I've been doing some sit to stands at PT the last couple of times. This is just sitting on the bench and then standing up? Granted, she raises the bench for me because I'm tall so it's easier. I have a hard time getting up from a chair that's low to a standing position, especially pre-surgery. I'm looking forward to this being easier like it was a few years ago after my first TKR and before my left knee went downhill. The worst for me was low toilets!!! Nothing worse than trying to get up with no hand rails in a bathroom stall when you're sitting and your knees are above your hips. Pure torture and one of the pitfalls of being tall and having bad knees. Hopefully this will be a thing of the past now!

My PT never had me do sit to stands. They can be hard on a new/young knee. If it causes pain, don’t do them. Since not all PTs recommend them, they are not essential.

Ahhh @Gingerbread ! I amble over to check on your progress and read so many positive posts..congratulations! You are getting over each hurdle and doing well. I especially liked that you stated to the Dr that you'd like to hold off on the MUA.. good for you, especially when you are progressing so well.

I wonder if the surgeon realises or recalls that you had overly vigorous PT at the beginning and it cost you some flexibility in the beginning?
You are doing well. This makes me happy.. I'm sure it makes you happy, too!

Hi everyone!
Well, as for being undermedicated at night, no worries there. At 9 I take Motrin and CBD oil, after my anti inflammatory supplements and Magnesium. I do have Tylenol PM in my cabinet so that's actually a great idea, thank you @Susie-Q. I take a cortisol supplement that was helping initially but like everything else I get used to it and the effect wears off. I have melatonin too... Same thing.
I'm here in bed now after a full 8 & 1/2 hours of work. I am in the Over Did It club from simply sitting in one position too long. The pain is really bad. I iced and everything, walked my dog for 15 minutes as my lunch break (I eat when I work, no need for formal lunch when you WFH) yet I feel like I did a month ago. Argh.
Praying for sound sleep tonight, I feel that restrorative rest will help tremendously. This too shall pass, right? Thanks everyone for your wonderful replies, they mean so much and I read every one :)

My PT never had me do sit to stands. They can be hard on a new/young knee. If it causes pain, don’t do them. Since not all PTs recommend them, they are not essential.
I actually enjoy the sit to stands. I've been doing squats for nearly 30 years so it's one of the things I am using to gauge my progress. The ability to squat without assistance is essential for my workouts (later on of course) so I am thrilled to do them now. No pain involved; if there were I'd absolutely not be doing them :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts